RCAF/CAF CF-104 Questions

Gents,

Did any airframes attached to the AETE ever have their cannon avail? Weird question I know, but I want to do something different with my assembled 1/48 Zipper, but one thing I want to do is attach a Mk 28 Nuke to it. I would like to do a AETE aircraft in NMF, hang a dummy Nuke on it and keep the cannon on the airframe without fairing it over. Would an airframe have existed in the config?

TIA

Brad

Edited by Brad-M

At first they only had 12701-705. Later 104701-705. But of course aas Starfighters tended to crash they lost many. In fact I think 704 MAY have been the only one still in service near the end.

AETE borrowed airframes from other squadrons and aquired some through airframe rotation.

104795 in the green cam had the big red X for example. Until it crashed into Primrose lake.

The nuke role ended on Dec 31 '71, the guns weren't installed until mid '74 so in short, nope, no gun with nuke. But it's your kit, build it how you want. However during the CF-104 closeout in Baden in '86, a CF-104 was loaded with an blue inert Mk-28EX. On another side note, the first green CF-104 (don't know the tail #)arrived in Baden in Nov '71 so it may be possible a camo'd CF-104 had a shape loaded, especially if an alert was called and all serv a/c were loaded.

Jari

The nuke role ended on Dec 31 '71, the guns weren't installed until mid '74 so in short, nope, no gun with nuke. But it's your kit, build it how you want. However during the CF-104 closeout in Baden in '86, a CF-104 was loaded with an blue inert Mk-28EX. On another side note, the first green CF-104 (don't know the tail #)arrived in Baden in Nov '71 so it may be possible a camo'd CF-104 had a shape loaded, especially if an alert was called and all serv a/c were loaded.

Jari

Hey Jari,

Do you have a list of the serials that were with CEPE & AETE? Would these establishments have tested 104's with dummy nukes?

Brad

Sorry don't have a listing of which a/c AETE had, just look thru any books you have on the CF-104 i'm sure you'll find a tail number or two. AETE did testing of all aspects including weapon trials however regular squadrons also dropped dummy nukes during training both in Cold Lake and in Europe.

Jari

Because of the angle what you are seeing is the tip tank on the right wingtip, there is nothing but the pylon on the c/l. It's hard to tell because of shadows if the gun is faired over or not but it looks open. Either way is fine.

Jari

Yes Sean explained this to me earlier, it is very apparent now. About the c/l pylon, does Hasegawa's 1/48 scale kit depict this very well? It is part D9 I believe. I wanted to hang something there, like one of Belcher's nukes, but dry fitting seams to suggest it doesn't fit too well. I can make it work, but perhaps the pylon is not correct?

CHeers

Brad

Yes Sean explained this to me earlier, it is very apparent now. About the c/l pylon, does Hasegawa's 1/48 scale kit depict this very well? It is part D9 I believe. I wanted to hang something there, like one of Belcher's nukes, but dry fitting seams to suggest it doesn't fit too well. I can make it work, but perhaps the pylon is not correct?

CHeers

Brad

I'm building a CF-104 with the centreline pylon, and if you are careful with fitting and cleaning up the main gear centre section the pylon will fit OK. also, the pylon is a pretty good representation of the real thing, so no worries there.

:whistle: