Typhoon, BAH!

So there I am, plodding along with Revell`s wonderful Typhoon when I notice that 3Sqn(F) has two different tail badges on the starboard fin. Some (ZJ918 and ZJ919) have the exact same badge on both sides so that it faces forwards on the port fin and rearwards on the stbd. Most the rest of 3Sqn have two alternate badges so that both sides are facing forwards.

Are the remaining machines to be rectified or is it safe to model them as is, as both Revell and Model Alliance decals represent the fore/aft facing arrangement only?

I know it is an anorak point but this has spun my plans into a right old kerfuffle and no mistake! :lol:

Cheers, Ian

Not sure what you're asking? Is it:

(1) Are they going to repaint the badges on 918 and 919? or

(2) Are they going to repaint the rest of the Squadron to match 918 and 919?

In the short term I suspect neither - these things are often an "interesting" feature of a fleet in any air force you care to name. In the long term, who knows?

In any case, I say do the model as is, with the kit decals, as that's the easiest option. It can only represent the aircraft at that point in time - later on, who knows what will be added in the say of aerials, lumps and bumps or other markings. Enjoy.

M

Wherever I first saw this about the badges, `they` imagined that the markings of 918 and 919 would soon be altered to bring them into line with others. I just wondered if this had been done.

I guess the decals The RAF are using don`t need to be too resilient right now with so many jets changing squadrons so frequently. Most serials I`ve checked out for the Typhoon at Airliners.net have seen them with at least two different squadrons at various times. As Typhoon stands up, squadron `ownership` of individual aircraft seems pretty fluid.

Cheers, Ian

PS-Yeah, I like the look, John. The first `weathered` Typhoons, intersting subject matter. :salute:

Edited by Ian Buick

Speaking of weathering, how 'bout these?

I'm told the second image shows the characteristic weathering caused by the heat bloom from missile firing.

(it's ZJ916 at Waddington Airshow - 30 June 2007)

The third image provides an interesting alternative for a pilot's name on ZJ929 (clearly an exchange pilot, perhaps from the USAF?)

Cheers,

John

weather3.jpg

weather2.jpg

major1.jpg

Edited by John Tapsell

Ian,

A warning as this probably going to sound like a anorak moment but some info from photographs during visits to Coningsby.

ZJ919 is now with 11 Sqn as 'DC'. Another one with the incorrect decal on the left side is ZJ926/QO-Y. I photographed it exactly a year ago like this and it was still wrong at the end of July when I last visited. Several of the former 3 & 17 sqn jets have now acquired 11 Sqn markings although flights from each unit often contains aircraft from other sqns which have been loaned out. I have heard a US sounding voice as a flight lead on 3 Sqn flights.

Gary

Thanks guys, this has been really helpful. :coolio:

BTW have you seen that the first, all new, Block 5 with PIRATE has been delivered to 11 Sqn?

Pic in new Airforces Monthly, and at AIRLINERS.NET as ZJ939 `BXI`.

Cheers all, Ian

Aaaargh, still can't edit my posts - I had hoped to have carried over the first of those Typhoon pic's with the machine overhead, side-on with the gear down - WOW, stunning pic!

Eng