First Prodction version Electric Hornet flies

vaq129ef18g4.jpg

vaq129ef18g3.jpg

The pylons are not installed so you don't see them or any pods. This along with two others were passed on from the EF-18G PMA officer to CVWP and it spread as per the norm.

Most of these are distance shots so no walk around yet. Report is that the first production verison is supposed to be at the rock by June 2008.

Thank goodness it looks better than the speculative -129 schemes we've seen. I was deathly afraid those damn googly eyes on the inside of the tail would actually be there.

Though I'm already sick of the "Rin Tin Tin" logo.

:D

The logo isn't half as bad as the "Official" name ...

Gregg

No, but now that I think about it, they go together nicely - as the logo looks like my neighbor's dog, who really seems to enjoy leaving growlers in my front yard. :blink:

EDIT-

Oh, and looking at the BuNo - 166855. I KNOW there's lots of 159's, and probably a few 158s in my logbook. Wow!

Edited by Karl Sander

Talking to a spy I have over at CVWP, they told me the plan of attack with intergration and conversion is this.

Q-132 is first then they are slated to head to Japan and CVW-5

Q-136 comes home and will more then likely stay at Whidbey

Then when a carrier Prowler outfit comes home from their "extra" 4 month surge deployment they will make the conversion to EF-18's. The best of thier jets, I.E. those that have plenty of flight hours left and pass a planned maintenance inspection level with minimal gripes will be passed on to the concrete squadrons the rest will be given to the USMC or flown to the boneyard (depends on how beat up the airframe is and whether it had been upgraded to either ICAP 2 Blk III or ICAP III status).

VAQ-133,134,142,209 will continue to fly the EA-6B up until 2015 maybe 2020 and then those will convert to the inital block of EF-18G's (big maybe here).

VMAQ-1,2,3,4 will continue to fly EA-6B's until either a Electronic Attack UCAV comes out or a proposed EF-35 variant comes along. They will convert thier current fleet of ICAP 2 Blk 89 (Single EGI) aircaft to ICAP II Blk III or ICAP III aircraft as needed. To the point that by 2010 nearly all of the USMC jets will be either ICAP II Blk III or ICAP III aircraft.

VAQ-129 will split in to two dets by the mid 2010's. There will be a EF-18G only unit at Whidbey and possibly an EA-6B only unit at MCAS Cherry Point.

Also for you Prowler model builders out there the USMC just cleared all of thier jets to carry the Litening II FLIR pod on the aircraft. I haven't heard which station the pod is supposed to be on but they are doing it to improve situtational awareness. That way everyone but one of the ECMO's has thier heads looking up and out instead of down and out.

I've heard enough variations of "The Plan" by now to realize that niether Naval Air Forces nor the wing REALLY know what they're going to do until they actually do it...

Not to mention there will be a new commodore who feels the need to flex their influence...

Did they retain the wingfold mechanism, or did they use that internal wing volume for antennae?

If the wings don't fold, is the wingspan reduced or is it larger than the regular Rhino?

The wings are the same as any other Super Hornet, including the fold. The inboard leading edge flap is a bit different at the outboard end, and the fences are added, but other than that it's a Super Hornet wing.

The wings are the same as any other Super Hornet, including the fold. The inboard leading edge flap is a bit different at the outboard end, and the fences are added, but other than that it's a Super Hornet wing.

Aye, thank you for clarifying. Looking at Darren's build with the orange highlights, I assumed the fold was deleted.

-Mike

vaq129ef18g4.jpg

vaq129ef18g3.jpg

The pylons are not installed so you don't see them or any pods. This along with two others were passed on from the EF-18G PMA officer to CVWP and it spread as per the norm.

Most of these are distance shots so no walk around yet. Report is that the first production verison is supposed to be at the rock by June 2008.

Now, we wait for the AEW version, ASW version, Helicopter version, tiltrotor version, transport version and submarine version of the Super Hornet (The permanent land based tracked armored version was cancelled when the developmental version was shown to the Army and they said "What the f#@k is that?").