Su-11 'Fishpot-C' - update 3rd Feb '08

Cool ! I love the cylinder with triangles on it !

If accuracy is your thing, you may want to change the seat as the headrest may not be right. About fit issues, wings and fin halves are the only problems I've encountered for the moment.

I've checked but I don't intend to use any resin in the cockpit since the opening is so small in 1/72 that even the original seat won't be much visible... and it's not that bad, it would just need some mods... but since the cockpit will be closed, I don't care much...

An ARC member has sent a scan of a M-Hobby issue that shows the cockpit of a Su-9. It appears that the headrest of the kit's seat is correct ! I don't know if it's the case for the Su-11 though.

Wow. No problem fitting the cockpit in my Su-9. Are you sure that the tub is properly positionned ? The rear of the hub shouldn't go in the notch.

Edited by Laurent
hi there nice su-11,but is the cockpit aftermarket or it is kit cockpit?if it is aftermarket u can send the resin enoguh so it would fit inside....

Sebastian:

"I've checked but I don't intend to use any resin in the cockpit since the opening is so small in 1/72 that even the original seat won't be much visible... and it's not that bad, it would just need some mods... but since the cockpit will be closed, I don't care much..."

:D

I have the feeling the whole cockpit tub is too wide a bit and pushes the fuselage halves apart... I've just thought of an idea... I could maybe cut tub sides at bottom and try gluing them conforming to the curvature of the fuselage, while cockpit floor, which are also top side of the front fuselage wheel well, would be attached to the bottom of the fuselage... this way I might gain some space and ease the tension...

The height at which the seat has been pasted on the rear wall of the tub (part #3) is important. If the seat is glued too low the headrest will not stick out of the cockpit and the pilot would be flying IFR all the time...

Some creative thoughts, a blade saw and a bit of fear and I managed to fix the problem... But for what cost?

This is how the cockpit construction looked like originally...

3.jpg

There were sidewalls and some details on them... but since it was the most probable cause of the bad fit, I decided to remove the side walls of the pit and leave just the cockpit floor and the construction beneath it, which is front wheelwell... At the end, I was left with this:

4.jpg

And a quick look to see the fit...

2.jpg

The seam is gone! But actually there's little to no place on the fuselage halves to create any additional details, so I decided I'm gonna just close the fuselage halves since there won't be a lot to see anyway through canopy (which will need a lot of polish/Future treatment)...

That looks a lot better but is the headrest high enough ? Did you care about the fit of the instrument panel yet ? I had to scribe a groove in each fuselage halves so that it fits ok (because I did not do any sanding inside the fuselage halves probably).

Headrest is above the fuselage line... but, since the view from 11 is I guess the same as from 7, I can tell you that the pilot couldn't see a lot from the pit anyway... I have to find a way to attach the instrument panel now and then close the damn thing...