Strange Contrails Over Central Nevada

I've been flying for over 30 years and saw something today that I thought was pretty interesting and just thought I'd pass it on. Today I'm in my 737-800 at 34 thousand feet over central Nevada in the crystal blue sky at around 3:30pm. We're a bit Northeast of Tonopah heading towards Yosemite N.P. and onto SFO. I'm looking out to the Southwest, and something Waaaaay above our altitude is leaving a contrail like a "Bat outta Hell" towards the North. It's too far away to make out what it is, but then it made a roughly 135 degree turn back to the Southwest (and from our vantage point, looked like it was going straight down). It was so fast it was unbelievable. I've seen plenty of fighter contrails in my days in the Air Force - and plenty of Space Shuttle launches - but I've never, ever seen anything move this fast... Like I said - very interesting to see. Thoughts? Opinions?

Discuss amongst yourselves... :thumbsup:

Hitch

Maybe it was a missle?

I know the first time I saw a missle up close I was aw-struck. It danced across the sky effortless.

Maybe a F-22A? They can really move and turn on a dime. So maybe it was a sonic Raptor that slowed down made a turn and lit the cans again?

Edited by Midnight Storm

Could be the 15:30 express from Galaxy NJ-151 :thumbsup:

Or probably what one of the other guys said :whistle:

Cheers, Ian

PS-On a serious note, I doubt the US halted hypervelocity testing at the scramjet stage. Maybe their onto the next level?

Hitch,

You know probably better than most, esp. being a AF pilot, all the secret crap they have at Tonopah. From what I've heard, there is also something up in Utah as well. It could be anything, I'm pretty open when it comes to that stuff, I'm pretty sure though it wouldn't be an errant missile anywhere near your flight path.

Whatever it was, you would have never seen it in your A-10....... :thumbsup:

Jeff

I really think Bill Sweetman established the evidence very soundly as to the hypersonic project that was flying out of there and probably northern Scotland. One day we'll know...remember in the 80's when the F-117 was almost as enigmatic as, say, UFO's? Funny to think; how times have changed!!!

We'll know someday.