For those who like the F-117 and F-22

I think it's Photoshopped. (oops!)

Reason- If you look at the background, it's a bright sunny day and they're above the clouds so there wouldn't be any shadows. If you look at the planes, they just don't seem to have a bright light on them. It seems as if they are under a shadow or in a hangar or something. Not saying thats where the original pic was taken, just that it looks like that kind of shadow. There just isn't a bright light beaming down.

And another thing- If I was the one who took the picture, I'd boasting like all get-out about it. The only comment left was "HO".

Just doesn't add up.

Matt

Edited by hazmatt

the guy was on a tanker flight during Red Flag on the same day, and his other pics are on a-net. Many people cannot get a real image accepted on a-net, so the probability of a faked one being accepted is almost 0

Lighting in the air can be much different than it is on the ground, and perhaps the tanker itself is casting a shadow on the aircraft

It looks incredibly photochopped.

Look at the first and third 117's and the Raptors in the formation.

Sure, the second and fourth (at the top) 117's look real and would be a more likely catch as a two-ship. Furthermore, they would serve as a good basis for turning it into a four-ship. Looks like the "artist" added the first and fourth Stealths in the formation, thereby turning the original photo of two, into four.

As for the Raptors...come on. Seriously?

We have plenty of talented, legit photographers around here that post some stunning stuff of theirs...some unbelievable shots. No one questions their stuff because, though incredible, it doesn't have that "altered" look to it to call into question it's authenticity.

-John

Lighting in the air can be much different than it is on the ground, and perhaps the tanker itself is casting a shadow on the aircraft

That's what I was thinking.I'm not a Boomer..... but I would think a KC-10 casts a fairly large shadow....

As for the Raptors...come on. Seriously?

That's what I though too. They just seem very toy-like (though in my mind they often look like that, maybe due to that special paint?) and completely loose from the background, just floating above the background image. Okay, they are loose from the background and floating in the air 'cause they are aeroplanes in the air! Still, they way they look just doesn't fully convince me.

I'm no expert so I won't say anything definitive. Hell, if it's real, that's a perfect shot! One in a billion.

people who typically get shots like that don't go around boasting about it, they let the image speak for itself

Exactly. I've worked with a lot of professional photographers over the years on shoots both in-studio and on-location and they all have two things in common. They put their best work on display in their studios, portfolios and galleries even and they don't talk about it unless you ask. They let their work speak for itself and don't go around bragging about it.

On occasions when a photo has been manipulated in Photoshop, they're pretty up front about it (many times also showing the original image).

Looks like the "artist" added the first and fourth Stealths in the formation, thereby turning the original photo of two, into four.

Even ignoring what Steve Filak pointed out earlier, what you've described is a lot harder than you think it is. I've been using Photoshop professionally for over 13 years now. It's great for color correction, touch-up, repairing, making comps and designing web pages but you can forget what you've seen on CSI or in the movies - photo editing software doesn't work like that (not yet at least). Sure, you can replace a hardwood floor with carpet in room scene photography, but even something as "simple" as that will take hours upon hours due to the perspective and lighting. What we're talking about here is much more complicated than duping layers.

It's possible that there were some adjustments in the curves, levels, etc. to enhance the colors. Some photographers do this, others don't. I won't hold it against him if this turns out to be the case.

It's easy for people to say something is "fake," they see a quality photo and even though they can't explain why, they realize it's better than anything they've ever shot so then it must have been faked or manipulated when the cold hard reality is that most people on this planet are horrible photographers. Myself included.

people who typically get shots like that don't go around boasting about it, they let the image speak for itself

Good point. I guess what I meant to say was more information about the picture. Boasting might not have been the right word.

Matt

1.) The pilots in the 1,3 and 4 -117s show a reflective harness buckle, #2 doesn't ...

2.) The -22s are at slightly different angles from one another, like two aircraft forming up to the main formation ...

3.) Both -22s have different camo patterns ...

The picture maybe enhanced but I don't think it's a chop ...

Gregg

• 2 weeks later...

Just adding my $.02 to this thread. I know Sean, have for quite a while. His work is top notch and I will admit, puts mine to shame. He also doesn't just concentrate on aviation, but a wide range of subjects and he does them all with this level of quality. Beaker (Ph.D. in Bio Chem) is a great photographer and friend. I stand by him and his work any day.