Well, I haven’t started on the kit yet. But here is little OOB review.

Little primer on the prototype. Su-15 was developed and fielded in difficult times when Soviet leadership was convinced that missiles and rockets will prevail over all other conventional weapons, including aircraft. Creation of completely new aircraft was out of the question, so Sukhoi decided to upgrade existing ones. Su-11 was taken as the base. 2nd engine was added to resolve serious problems with reliability faced by Su-9, 11 and 7B crews. New radar and missile system was added to enhance interception parameters. First flight of the prototype plane occurred in 1963 and serial machine entered service in 1967. 130 examples were delivered. After extensive field trials Su-15T and Su-15TM mods entered wide spread service with PVO and VVS regiments. Original Su-15 remained rather obscure and lesser known plane.

Dimensions: 8.62x22.07x5m

Empty weight: 10220kg

Engines: 2x R-11F2S-300

Top speed: 2230km/h

Ceiling: 18.5km

Weapons: 2 R-98 or R-8M AAMs

Box art sucks, sprues are nice and crisp. Decals are spartan by today's standards. NeO pit is nice but lacks instruction sheet.

TrumpSu15-prog1.jpg

TrumpSu15-prog3.jpg

TrumpSu15-prog4.jpg

TrumpSu15-prog2.jpg

Edited by Zmey Smirnoff
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
airbrushed the insides of the fuse and the pit.

IMG_9963.jpg

Hi,

nice work!

the Su 15 is one of my fav. aircraft. one day I'll tackle my trumpeter kits, but for now, I'll be watching your thread closely.

One question by the way, what is the color you're using for the interior?

Thanks,

Ernie A.

^ Hase 1/72

I should've known, though I was so certain you're doing a 1/48 scale Academy Flanker.

Anything special on that Flanker, Zmey? I could swear - without making any comparisons with my Hase example - that the nose is a bit slimmer than purely OOB.

^ Good eye, jan. The nose is Reheat resin. OOB was too bulbous for my taste. Thanks to Linden Hill I got the replacement. Today I masked off and painted dielectric panels, radome, engines and missiles... fingers crossed. I'll remove the masks in the morning.

^ Good eye, jan. The nose is Reheat resin. OOB was too bulbous for my taste. Thanks to Linden Hill I got the replacement. Today I masked off and painted dielectric panels, radome, engines and missiles... fingers crossed. I'll remove the masks in the morning.

It surely does benefit from that Reheat AM nose. Looking forward to see it finished!

I really loved building my Hase Flanker and especially now that I've peeked inside the box of my new Heller UB I definetely long for the Hasegawa kit...

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, nothing dramatic in this update. Overall assembly complete. I need to mask and attach the canopy. Paint the fuselage around the c'pit and mask all the painted niches. Then I'll be ready to prime it for Alclad.

TrumpSu15-prog8.jpg

TrumpSu15-prog7.jpg

And here is a little update on Hase 1/72 Su-27 I'm working on. Its a non-GB build.

After Future, before the decals

su27-prog7.jpg

Decals about 80% complete

su27-prog8.jpg

su27-prog6.jpg