Interesting news on the F-15I attack on Syria

I seem to remember a story concerning a sea battle between Syrian and Israeli missile boats during the 1973 War off of the coast of Latika. The Syrians had a missile boat fleet about twice as large as the Israelis, and they were armed with the much more powerful Styx anti-ship missile whixh also had a much longer range than the Israeli Gabreil. The Syrians launched all of thier missiles, but every single missile missed by a very wide margin. Once the Israelis' Gabriels were in range, they fired, obliterating most of the Syrian boats. To this day, the Israelis refuse to talk about what it was that the used to jam the Styx missiles.

If that battle is the one I am thinking of, the Israelis had helos flying formation with the missile boats, equipped with 'blip enhancers'. When the Israelis detected the Styx launches; once they were sure the missiles were locked on the largest blips; the choppers popped up off the deck, with the blip enhancers still on, the Styx followed them and when the enhancers were turned off the Styxes flew over the Israeli boats by hundreds of feet missing the entire formation.

I also remember the USN Seahawks and Sea Sprites had similar devices in the 80's and 90's (and probably still do) when tactics against Silkworms in the Gulf were discussed back pre-Desert Storm.

Matt

Who played way too much Harpoon in the late 80's and 90's!

Edited by Matt Roberts

raam1.jpg

raam2.jpg

raam3.jpg

Isra is the Eagle-head version (woo-hoo, I figured out Photobucket at last!)

The pics don`t do the decals justice as they were shot in poor light.

Cheers, Ian

BTW-both kits are Academy 72nd scale with scratch mods.

Edited by Ian Buick
raam1.jpg

raam2.jpg

raam3.jpg

Isra is the Eagle-head version (woo-hoo, I figured out Photobucket at last!)

The pics don`t do the decals justice as they were shot in poor light.

Cheers, Ian

BTW-both kits are Academy 72nd scale with scratch mods.

Very nice!

Thanks guys! :banana:

The builds were frustrating, I had to raid six decal sheets for the first Ra`am, and then Humbrol varnish turned everything white!

The second (Eagle-head) Ra`am was a joy at the decal stage thanks to Isradecal.

Everything else involved a lot of swearing.

Cheers, Ian

F-15I photo for you all - taken in August 2002 at DMAFB - I wonder if this jet participated in the raid?

MyPictures0003.jpg

ATB -

- Rip -

Rip,

I mean this in the nicest possible way....YOU SUCK! :thumbsup: A Ra'am at DM! Damn! You got it made dude!

Chappie

I hate mainstream media.

I can`t understand how the World`s largest News broadcaster with some (genuine) experts gets such things wrong. I`ll bet even they are sitting there saying to the editor "y`know, that is an F-16 not an F-15"

They are also reporting ingress and egress routes as well as the specific target location, but I can`t believe any of it because they don`t get the simple things right.

We even had a couple of Ra`ams at Waddington in 2001, did no-one take any pictures? :banana:

Yep, I think they did. :banana:

Cheers, Ian

Since we all live and breathe airplanes, to a certain extent, we take it for granted - but you might be surprised at what people who aren't as interested as we are notice, or don't notice.

My parents were here for a visit and I was showing them around the base, explaining how we flew both F/A-18s and F-16s. We're sitting there looking at one of each, parked right next to each other, and mom wants to know how we tell the difference between them.

Since we all live and breathe airplanes, to a certain extent, we take it for granted - but you might be surprised at what people who aren't as interested as we are notice, or don't notice.

I understand Karl, I do get your point and I don`t expect that everyone should know. My point is that these were defence experts broadcasting to the World who should know the difference, it is what my licence fee is paying them to do, be experts and inform the public who do not know.

Maybe I expect too much from them but they broadcast stories on the basis of having the inside knowledge, well they can`t even tell the difference between F-16 and F-15, how do I know the rest of their story is not also flawed due to lack of research?

I only raise this because some of the BBCs story could be construed as inflammatory. If they get simple details wrong due to lack of care then the whole idea of informing the public is debased.

But I do get your point also, not all the World is fascinated by aircraft (their loss :yahoo: )

Cheers, Ian

:worship:

My parents were here for a visit and I was showing them around the base, explaining how we flew both F/A-18s and F-16s. We're sitting there looking at one of each, parked right next to each other, and mom wants to know how we tell the difference between them.

Being ex-USAF and an aircraft buff, my kids automatically fell in line to a degree and whenever I built a new model I explained to them what it was, if it was the same aircraft, but a different version I showed them what made it different (ex: F-16A/F16C) while at an airshow on March AFB walking down the static display line, my 8 y/o, said dad that's an F-16C right? I said yes, my 9 y/o said no it's an "A", I said no Dave's right. Jr. said no! I'm talking about the one on the other side of the hornet. To which a gentleman walking behind says "Mr., I don't know one from the other and your kids are discussing the variants!! :yahoo::worship:

People who broadcast to the world should know a lot of things they evidently don't... :whistle:

Chris Wallace once said, "I guess reporting is easy when you don't worry about the facts."

I just shook my haed a few months back when a light twin crashed into a house. From the wreckage I guessed it was either a Seneca or a Seminole. FNC's Shep Smith called it a "Twin-engined Piper Cessna". ;)

Chappie

<...> To which a gentleman walking behind says "Mr., I don't know one from the other and your kids are discussing the variants!! :D :whistle:

Nice one! :bandhead2:

<...> If they get simple details wrong due to lack of care then the whole idea of informing the public is debased. <...>

Especially when it's so-called "investigative" journalism at work. They tell us they found out how "the Stingers" (Every MANPAD is a "Stinger to 'em) were paid for and supplied by the CIA and tie all kinds of weird and wonderful conspiracy theories to their "find". Yet what they show us is an SA-7. :doh: Why should I believe their conspiracy theories if they can't even Google for "Stinger"? Oh, well on the other hand that may mean they didn't find their conspiracy theories through Google either, if that's any consolation...;)