Denver B-52 Nose

A while back I stayed in Denver for a night, in a hotel across the street from what used to be Stapleton Airport. While there, I did a little exploring. Across Quebec Street from my hotel, there was a shopping center on what used to be the airport property. I walked around there, found a big Wal-Mart, walked left over some railroad tracks, and finally came to what looks like a junkyard, except inside were what looks like a complete DC-3, in pieces, and the nose of a B-52. This is all on what had to have been airport property before it closed.

Does anyone in Denver know what I'm talking about here? Has anyone else seen it? Do you kn ow what the story on this is - why these things are there?

Okay, if the street to the left of the picture is Quebec Street, and the train tracks are running through left to right close to the top of the pic, then the place I was talking about would be either in the extreme upper right of the picture or just off the picture in that direction. It was probably actually in one of those yards with the trailers parked in them.

But has anyone else seen them close up?

I think the B-52 nose may be the green object sitting next to the upper set of six white trailers that you'll see if you focus in on the small yard right on 40th St just off the upper right of the view you sent.

Edited by Dr. Tran

I looked it up on google maps and you can zoom in for a birds eye view of the nose area. I don't know the story behind the B-52 nose but that area looks like a airplane scrap yard judging by all the hacked up planes. <_<

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...l&encType=1

Edited by The Dude

Yeah, you can see the junkyard when you drive by on I-70 too. ( I work at the United Airlines training center, which is right there where you were) If I remember correctly there are also a couple of Twin Beech fuselages on the north side of the yard. That stuff has been there for years, as I've been seeing it since I moved here fifteen years ago. How it originally got there I really don't know.

Edited by David Walker
Recall lowry AFB was also there at one time ( a ATC base) and the BUFF nose may have been a ground trainer, part of a sim or being used for some type of instruction. Just a thought

Scott

There's alot of extra fusalage there if you only wanted the cockpit etc. for a sim

Tom

There are a couple of B-52G/H fuselages (one is 41 section only) sitting next to one of the buildings at Boeing-Wichita, off-base. They're in a similar state, and I was wondering the same thing about them.