A Boom Operator's view

And a cockpit picture of a RNoAF F-16

IMG_3105.jpg

thanks for posting them!!!

they are so awesome, love the detailed shots!!

btw, what helmet and mask combination is that pilot wearing? looks like something out of star wars!!!

AWESOME shots, Kyrre! Thanks for sharing those with us! :woot.gif:

I'm pretty sure the Belgians also use the bog-standard Viper camo. Wonder what caused this interesting effect? I've seen a Belgian Viper pic where the stencils reflected differently from the rest of the aircraft, as if they were gloss-coated or something...

to me it looks like some condensation effects. it looks like some pictures of cars i've taken early in the morning when the dew forms and stays on different areas and forms interesting patterns. maybe something to do with heat displacement in different areas? the shot of the wing with the glossy circle around the emblem makes me think that it forms around the markings more so than just painted surfaces. just my opinion.

GREAT SHOTS btw.!

Edited by niart17

Thanks guys, an overwhelming response!

I will post some more of my pictures though I think that's enough of the tanking stuff. While I took a lot many of them got out of focus for so many reasons (aircraft shake, thick windows, dirty windows, shadows getting in the way). The boom compartment is a rather cramped up place and you don't get to move around as much as you would like to. (Damn this boom operator lying in the best spot).

As for the Belgian camouflage that was definitely a partial repaint, though perhaps the visual effect was enhanced by the bright sunlight. It brought my thoughts right back to the Coastal Command Beaufighters and Mosquitos during the war. Numerous touchups made the aircraft decidedly patchy.

If you've seen Portuguese F-16's they often end up with the same effect because of immediate touchups every time they've opened a panel.

The Norwegian F-16 will not normally show up that patchy simply because they're painted overall semigloss FS36270 which is a lighter colour to start with.

I've lost track of which ones I've shown alreday but these should be the last of the batch

IMG_3064.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3278.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg

Where the Norwegians testing the Sniper pod or have they already got it?

Almansur, RNoAF was the export launch customer for the Pantera wich was the original name of the export version of the Sniper XR. However, they soon standardized on Sniper XR as the universal name. We've had them since 2003 :bandhead2::yahoo:

Kyrre;

When were these shots taken? Could you give me a month/year? Excellent pics BTW ;)

Thanks guys,

Niels,

The Mirage and Rafale pics were taken on the 7th and the F-16's were taken on the 13th this month. I could tell you the exact time of the day but then I'd have to kill you and confiscate your kit stash. :banana:

Thanks David,

It was getting late in the day so a bit of shadow couldn't be helped. I'm sure I could have brightened things up in PS but I am not a big believer in those things.

PS works great if you want to centre an image though. :-)

Kyrre