Which model type

Style of Jet  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of Jets do you personally like

• Single seats
    • Family Models

You dont have to see what I mean. I wasnt trying to change your mind, buddy.

Now just imagine how badass the Tomcat would look without the greenhouse-for-two? You dig?

I was just teasing a little bit. I don't think the Tomcat would look right as a single seater. Maybe it's because I've always seen it as a twin, but I like the lines of the canopy, it fits the aircraft.

One of the early designs of the Tomcat was of a single seat, fixed wing design ...

f14-history-f14a-303-0.gif

Early designs of the F-4 also were of the single seat variety as well since it started life as an improved "Super" Demon ...

Gregg

And this from a guy who's never been in the same cockpit as me after chili night.

Ah, so this is the real reason for the intended retrofit of Prowlers with an On-Board Oxygen Generation System (OBOGS). LINKY. Of special interest is #4. I quote:

On-board Oxygen Generation System (OBOGS). The EA-6B is one of two remaining non-OBOGS equipped combat aircraft that will be integral to carrier air wings in the near future. It is known that Prowler crews regularly run out of oxygen during the long missions that are now the norm. According to a conservative Department of Defense (DoD) studies, there is a projected 10-year cost avoidance in excess of $33 million and a 3:1 payback on investment after OBOGS retrofit. It is imperative that these aircraft be equipped with the same “slimline†OBOGS, at a cost of an additional $9 million, as used in current F/A-18 aircraft in order to operate aboard CVN-77 and subsequent carriers

Well, I guess we know about the real reason now...

:whistle:

OK, seriously, don't get me started on OBOGS.

Contractor no. 1: "Let's think of a sneaky, insidious way to crash multi-million dollar airplanes for no other good reason.... so much the better if we can make it so the aircrew doesn't realize what's going on, fails to eject, and rides it in...."

Contractor no. : "Have I got an idea for you..."

I'm not kidding - whoever invented OBOGS should be hanged, drawn and quartered. And that's my charitable opinion.

Edited by Karl Sander
Very keen, Gregg! You are right, 31 is my fav - but the second pit on that plane is so obscure that it doesnt take away from the single-seat beauty of the aircraft.

Same thing with the SR-71. True, there's the A-11, which is a single seat, but like the MiG-31, the SR-71's back seat is integrated with the rest of the aircraft. Now the SR-71B trainer on the other hand...ugh!

We have OBOGS on the -22. Actually, it works quite well. Of course, I find it a little disconcerting that the first indication of a major electrical problem is the inability to breathe....

We get a big honking ICAW with deedle-deedle tones if the OBOGS fails though.

The number and nature of OBOGS HAZREPS from Hornet land makes quite a lot of us wonder who the HELL thought this was a good idea.

The number and nature of OBOGS HAZREPS from Hornet land makes quite a lot of us wonder who the HELL thought this was a good idea.

Ah. Well, I admittedly have heard that the OBOGS on the Hornet sucks. If it were on a CF-18, I suppose it would blow dead bears.