Mig 21 Lancers passing by in the rain... (pics)

My friend Berkut showed some of my earlier Lancer pics so I thought I'd post a follow-up with the same bunch as they're about to leave the country for Romania. They have participated in the excercise Bold Avenger.

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

IMG_3476.jpg

IMG_3479.jpg

And in the background you can see their support machine, a C-130B innit?

IMG_3528.jpg

erm, what's so unusual about 6010 camo?

It's standard for for LANCER-C, air-defense variant, while brown/green is standard for LANCER-A, air-ground variant...

I was actually wondering the same.

It's a good looking camo nevertheless. It's also very heart-warming too see this old war horse still flying and especially in so great condition.

Old Fishbeds never die. They're just being modernized!

erm, what's so unusual about 6010 camo?

The blue is an example of using what painters would refer to as "local color". What that means is, you use the same shades and colors as your environment. The top side of the Lancer-A is a good example of this theory being applied - shades of green and brown to blend in to the ground below to limit detection from eyes above. In this case, they've painted the undersides blue so as to match the sky above and behind the aircraft. In this case, it's a very bright blue (compare this blue to the belly of 5913).

Grays, as boring as they are, work very well for the air-air role (which is why almost everyone and their brother uses them nowadays). But grays are not an example of local color because they're not intended to match any specific environmental condition. Instead, grays work because they are neutral colors and do not stand out as much as other colors do. If one uses the proper shade of gray (ie - the Typhoon or Rafale's overall gray or the Mod Eagle schemes) then it will have a low contrast against a wider variety of environments from bright blue skies to overcast days. Grays are a what could be described as a "plural color" since they are intended to work with a wider variety of environments. The dark gray that F-15Es are painted in is a good example of this.

While I don't find this scheme to be unattractive, I do find it both unusual, interesting and intriguing that two different color theories are being applied to the same aircraft.

Edited by Trigger

Mike,

I'm using a Canon 350D (That's a Rebel down your way I believe) and a Canon 75-300 IS lens. poor weather during landings so I just put my faith in the camera and clicked away on P-setting and I believe 200ISO, but the taxi pics were taken on 100ISO.

For those that missed Berkut's post here are the pics of the Lancers taken a couple of weeks ago, when they departed after visiting the first time. A little grainy but hey ho. They're Migs. :banana:

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2356closeup.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

Kyrre

Edited by atckyrre

Every day is Friday in Romania. :)

Actually the aircraft looked very neat and well kept. Kind of surprising that they've kept the roundel like that. Could be that it was repainted just before they left.

Thanks for the feedback guys

K