Currently building RAF SAR Helo's and was contemplating an EH101 to represent 'the future'. Now this has left me with a dilemma do I spend £8 on getting the Italeri HMA1 or save a bit longer and get the marine one version... Bear in mind this is a WHAT-IF I think I can get away the HMA version. Has anyone any ideas what I could to to it though to make it a bit more 'SAR' like.

The Canadian Cormorants are used for SAR so maybe think along those lines. Start with a Revell RAF Merlin and go from there...

:whistle:

Bruce

You raise a good point but I think both those kits are OOP (I stand to be corrected). I know for a fact that I can obtain the merlin HMA due to the fact I sold it to a local model shop in order to reduce my kit pile.

Subject to a look at Hannants website I've discovered the Cormorant, but not the RAF Merlin.

However I have found that the Italeri VH-71 is within my budget so that may be an option.

Edited by flankerfan
Currently building RAF SAR Helo's and was contemplating an EH101 to represent 'the future'. Now this has left me with a dilemma do I spend £8 on getting the Italeri HMA1 or save a bit longer and get the marine one version... Bear in mind this is a WHAT-IF I think I can get away the HMA version. Has anyone any ideas what I could to to it though to make it a bit more 'SAR' like.

It really will be a "Whif" project, I've read somewhere that the UK SAR fleet will be handed over to private franchise when the Sea King fleet reaches retirement age.

The RAF will probably retain a CSAR ability, but the UK national SAR capability will be handed over to privately owned companies, and I think EH101 will be priced out of their league.

It really will be a "Whif" project, I've read somewhere that the UK SAR fleet will be handed over to private franchise when the Sea King fleet reaches retirement age.

The RAF will probably retain a CSAR ability, but the UK national SAR capability will be handed over to privately owned companies, and I think EH101 will be priced out of their league.

Don't spoil my fun! :unsure:

Currently building RAF SAR Helo's and was contemplating an EH101 to represent 'the future'.

:unsure: Being a cynical, glass is half empty type of person, I would say to represent the future of SAR. I would paint it red and white and put civillian markings on it. The way things are going there aint gonna be a military SAR soon!! Just my bitter two pence worth (been in this job FAAr too long!!!) :deadhorse1::deadhorse1:

Any way I would go for the Mk3 and paint it that horrid sickly yellow, but a grey and red version would be far pleasing to the eye. Come to think of it the Mk3 and the Cormarant are similar kits i think.

Seeing that Denmark, Canada & Portugal use the '101 in a SAR role proberbly be best getting the Vh71 or Cormorant kit (which is the same moulding, different decals!!) The Revell RAF merlin kit is no longer produced sadly, so if you see one get it!

Dave

We've had civilian SAR for years - Bristows (under contract to HM Coastguard) is a rather attractive scheme iirc.

I do believe that CHC is currently running HM SAR for the British Isles, they use S-92s and AW-139s.

Search and Rescue

CHC will deploy the Sikorsky S-92 and the Agusta Bell AB139 in connection with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) SAR contract announced December 12, 2005. CHC will operate two S-92s at Stornoway and two S-92s at Sumburgh, plus two AB139s based at Lee-on-Solent and an additional AB139 at Portland.

The introduction of the S-92 and the AB139 will mean an increase in the Coastguard's operating range and speed, so that the time to arrive ‘on scene’ will be reduced. Combined with an increase in the speed of the winch, the overall result is a reduction in the time taken to get medical aid to those in need.

New technological improvements include the latest Forward Looking Infra Red and low light cameras, Nightsun Searchlight, a satellite communications system featuring a Flight Following tracking facility, Skyshout public address system, and dual hoists, both of which are high speed.

Both the S-92 and AB139 are in use on a variety of commercial duties around the world, proving their operational effectiveness and reliability.

CHC currently provides search and rescue and emergency helicopter services in Ireland, Africa, Australia and Norway. This new contract, if awarded, would further strengthen CHC's position as world leader in civilian offshore search and rescue helicopter services and enhance its reputation for providing expert, cost-effective alternatives to government-run Coast Guard services.

Home Page | Contact Us | Privacy | Site Map © Copyright 2007. CHC Helicopter Corporation

mca-ab139-impression.jpg

dsc_0087lr.jpg

S92-03.jpg

S92-06.jpg

S92-07.jpg

Edited by hemspilot

I don't think you will ever see the Merlin in the SAR role, maybe the NH-90.

If you want any help though give me a shout I was an airframe tech on 28 (AC) Sqn for 4 years working on the RAF's EH-101's.

Its a shame the thing is so damn expensive, theres not another helo can match it in the same role. Loads of fuel, big cabin, Radar, FLIR, full hands off autopilot, anti vibration system, all the things you need over the sea on a long range rescue.

I live about 15 miles from Lee on Solent, does this spell the end for India Juliet?

Small world, I used to live in Gosport and remember RN SAR Wessexes (Wessi?) at Daedalus, never mind Sea Kings or Bristows.

Small world, I used to live in Gosport and remember RN SAR Wessexes (Wessi?) at Daedalus, never mind Sea Kings or Bristows.

Then I will please you with my 'cobbled together' variety of SAR Helos, as for the 101 I've bodged it already :bandhead2: Thank goodness its a 'WHIF'!

Ironically I'm applying for a job with Maratime and Coastguard agency at moment!

Edited by flankerfan