USN F/A-18C/D/E/F's carrying MER - Why?

Hi

I`ve seen several photos of F/A-18's carrying MER on the inner wing pylon, both on photos taken on a carrier and while ashore.

Sometimes you see dummy bombs on it, but what is it used for when at sea? Is it only a training aid or do they really fly live ops with fully loaded MER's?

Any input will be most welcome :whistle:

Thank you

I believe there was such a pic in some thread some days back.

I think they don't use them operationally because they're not smart weapons capable. :unsure:

The September AFM had some numbers regarding weapons dropped in OIF between January and April this year. The vast majority were guided weapons. 222 bombs dropped, of which only five were undguided Mk 82 "dumb" bombs.

So I think they're not used because currently there's no need to.

Edited by ChernayaAkula
Hi

I`ve seen several photos of F/A-18's carrying MER on the inner wing pylon, both on photos taken on a carrier and while ashore.

Sometimes you see dummy bombs on it, but what is it used for when at sea? Is it only a training aid or do they really fly live ops with fully loaded MER's?

Any input will be most welcome :D

Thank you

Hornets and Super Hornets use the BRU-41 IMER for practice bombs. Legacy Hornets also use it for illumination flares and smoke markers. That's IT. NO Hornets ANYWHERE EVER flew with anything larger than an LGTR on a MER or IMER. No MK-80 ANYTHING, no cluster bombs, no GBU-anything. Period, final, end of story. It didn't happen, and it ain't gonna happen.

It doesn't matter if it's boat or beach, IMER use is the same for either.

Edited.

Edited by Joe Hegedus