ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Hasegawa 1/72 F-14 Drop Tanks

Are the intake-mounted drop tanks for this kit located at the right point? Seems a bit off to me, having them on the outer corners of the intake nacelles (instead of closer to the middles), and interfering with the landing gear, but I can't recall people complaining about them, so I wonder if it's just me?

I don't know that they're 100% spot-on (maybe a little TOO outboard?) but they're more on track than the 1/48 Academy kit, which has you mounting them on the inboard part of the nacelle!

If they're in the same location in the 1/72 kit as on the 1/48, then that was my original first impression, too--"Whoa, these are too far outboard, aren't they?" But in fact, everything goes together fine--no interference with the struts, and the tanks look to be in the right spots once attached. :)

Daniel

Andrew, if I remember, there is a left and right tank, make sure you're mounting the correct one to the correct side ... It's been a long time since I built the kit ...

Gregg

Yes, the mounting pylon is keyed for left or right depending on the tank, this will have an effect on how the tank hangs :whistle:

Andrew, if I remember, there is a left and right tank, make sure you're mounting the correct one to the correct side ... It's been a long time since I built the kit ...

It is just the pylon that is handed :blink:

-Doug :whistle:

Doug, I'm pretty sure the pylon is molded onto each tank ...

Gregg

Heres a kit comparison for you -

Revell 1/72 F-14D - on the intake Centreline

DropTankRevell.jpg

Hasegawa 1/72 F-14A - too far out, but looks OK. Sometimes it interfers with the main struts, sometimes not :)

DropTankHase.jpg

Fujimi 1/72 F-14D - Again pylons are on the intake centreline

DropTankFujimi.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen