What's the best F-117 kit in 1/48th?

Ok, I know the topic title probably gave some of you a heart attack, but I do on occasion like to build some SELECT USAF birds.

Anyway, what's the best kit out there for the F-117 in 1/48th?

I was thinking of going for the Tamiya, but when I was a kid, I seem to remember the Mongoram kit being fairly easy to assemble.

Tamiya is the best but you will really have to fill in the panel lines to make it truly "right". The weapons bay is really nice as are th GBUs. Monograms kit is a second place kit but I believe the weps bay is moulded closed.

Mike

The Monogram kit does have the weapons bay closed. The Tamiya kit is good. Better with some PE sets from Eduard. There are some of the original Monogram issues with the photo etch sheet included that had all the screens on it.

All that arent control surface or bomb bay doors. The aircraft is covered in RAM so virtually no fasteners are visible.

Its a lot of work but well worth it.

Mike

wow...that is a lot of work. Odd, I just got the Tamiya one and was comparing it with the Monogram and thought "gee....monogram missed all those panel lines!" :)

The Monogram promodeler version of the kit came with open bomb bay and came with photoetch... Still is inexpensive compared to Tamiya...

regards,

I have never seen a Pro Modeler boxing. Do you happen to have a pic of it?? Interesting.

Mike

No don't have a picture handy the kit number was 5922 and is moulded in grey plastic comes with a small photetch sheet of the grills and a few other items for the exterior, has 2 GBU for the bay...the boxtop shows a shot of the F-117 turning with the bay open for action. I built one of the regular monogram kits and it was pretty easy. I did find they skimped on details for how the canopy lifts. I haven't checked but you may be able to adapt some of the new eduard photoetch for the tamiya to use on the monogram for a low cost nighthawk.

regards,

Edited by Tony9409

Hey Brian! :) If you see a red haired guy with a ball cap and wearing the required modeling geek aviation themed T shirt on Saturday, say hi. It would be great to get a chance to meet you in person! I am planning on attending the Huntsville show and I guess that's the one you were talking about.

Mike

Well, thanks for the info guys!

Since our local show is this Saturday, I may look out for both.

Hey Brian! :whistle: If you see a red haired guy with a ball cap and wearing the required modeling geek aviation themed T shirt on Saturday, say hi. It would be great to get a chance to meet you in person! I am planning on attending the Huntsville show and I guess that's the one you were talking about.

Mike

Well in that case, just keep your eye out for the short, fat guy wearing a VFA-103 shirt. :P

I'm not easily missed..

i built the revell-ogram a couple months ago, fit was ok and i didn't want to show the bomb ba anyway-i like the clean look for that jet. it was a cheap kit from wal-mart that i did just to break away from the gray jets. it also looks cool parked next to them on the shelf. it may be goin outta service, but the ol woblin goblin still looks mean to me!!!!!!!!

i have no idea about the tamiya, but i hear good things....good luck!!!

i built the revell-ogram a couple months ago, fit was ok and i didn't want to show the bomb ba anyway-i like the clean look for that jet. it was a cheap kit from wal-mart that i did just to break away from the gray jets. it also looks cool parked next to them on the shelf. it may be goin outta service, but the ol woblin goblin still looks mean to me!!!!!!!!

i have no idea about the tamiya, but i hear good things....good luck!!!

:blink: I built the Pro-Modeller version a year or so ago and enjoyed the build. Fit was good. There was a second ejection seat complete with photo etch seat belts and photo etch intake screens. Kit came with bomb bay, but the real negative was the ordnance. Kit came with two (crude) GBU-10s instead of the typical GBU-27s. Decals were good also.

Dennis