Alright...Airliners discussion it is!

Which would you rather fly on?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Airliner of choice...

• Boeing 787 Dreamliner
    • Airbus A380
    • Tupolev Anything

Ok, after looking at this article http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070923/russia_superjet.html?.v=4

I'm a little confused. Since apparently EVERYONE has a hand in this airplane, what do we fight about now?

Its a Sukhoi, Boeing, Airbus hybrid!

IT'LL NEVER FLY, IT'LL BE TO BUSY ARGUING WITH ITSELF!! :thumbsup:

Jon

Looks like a ripoff of the EMB-170. I bet the Brazilians aren't happy.

Nevermind.

Or actually, was it you that mentioned "the ARC's Cold War" recently?

Yes, that was me calling a spade a spade.

Read the article, bud, especially the part about the competition in the form of Embraer and Bombardier.

This Sukhoi project includes US help. It doesn't change the fact that the Brazilians already have an eerily reminiscent form in production/operation as the EMB-170 series (a fine aircraft by any standard).

Embraer's aircraft is truly original and quite successful.

Aww, here we go again....

In this case, there are only so many ways to build an airliner. At least that's what it seems to be these days. In this case, both designers opted for a pretty steep front, with no pronounced "nose" as Boeing and Airbus do. Apart from the nose area, most airliners seem to look the same.

slide05.jpg

Now that's one fantastic piece of photoshopping.

I heard in some TV documentary that there is a French-Japanese idea for a new supersonic passenger plane. They had no pics, just that there was an "intent" to design such an aircraft.

But I'm afraid for the time being were stuck with, mostly, look-alike airliners.

But I'm afraid for the time being were stuck with, mostly, look-alike airliners.

Regarding configuration, I agree. However, each manufacturer has their own stylistic features. Boeings look like Boeings, Airbuses look like Airbuses, etc. Unique styles of design exist, even with similar or identical configurations. Could be overall fuselage shape, empennage design, windshield/nose design, etc, buy you typically see consistent design cues across a family of aircraft based on the manufacturer.

Saying all airliners look alike is like saying an F/A-18E looks exactly like an Su-27. We all know that isn't the case. They have similar configurations, but very different external designs.

However, each manufacturer has their own stylistic features. Boeings look like Boeings, Airbuses look like Airbuses, etc.

I'm not going to say that I haven't mistaken a 330 for a 777 on the odd occasion.

Personally, I have to agree w/ SNATH on AL.N; the SJ100, to me, it looks more like a stretched version of the aborted Dornier than a Embraer. The -170 looks more "pregnant" and has an uglier nose. I'm sure the two will look "remarkably" different as we get more shots of the SJ100.

and yes, I know I the 777 link points to a 330 & vice versa - just seeing who is paying attention. :coolio:

Saying all airliners look alike is like saying an F/A-18E looks exactly like an Su-27. We all know that isn't the case. They have similar configurations, but very different external designs.

Sorry, but I've got to disagree. I'm not an airliner nut, so maybe it's down to ignorance, but to me most of the current big airliners (not talking about BAe 146 or Gulfstreams, or distinctive planes like the 747) look very much alike. Especially regarding family lineage. I never said they look exactly alike, but to me, the sole distinguishing feature is the nose. Boeing and Airbus have a pronounced nose, with Airbus having more rounded shapes. Apart from that they do look the same. Same tubular fuselage, same tail, same wings, same wing roots, same engine casings.

Embraer has the steep nose with a straight line. So does the Superjet 100. But so does another Sukhoi design, the S-80. Also has that steep, straight nose, albeit being of a completely different design approach.

Lastly, take away the nose of the Embraer or the Sukhoi and graft an Airbus 320 nose onto it. Nigh on everybody will take it as a genuine A320. The sole distinguishing feature would be the different winglets.

I'm not an airliner nut, so maybe it's down to ignorance

Yes, it is. Your words, not mine.

but to me most of the current big airliners (not talking about BAe 146 or Gulfstreams, or distinctive planes like the 747) look very much alike.

Hmmm....speaking of the distinctive BAe-146:

78784731.yiQklHn7.jpg

Antonov 148:

head110707c.jpg

Especially regarding family lineage. I never said they look exactly alike, but to me, the sole distinguishing feature is the nose. Boeing and Airbus have a pronounced nose, with Airbus having more rounded shapes. Apart from that they do look the same. Same tubular fuselage, same tail, same wings, same wing roots, same engine casings.

Embraer has the steep nose with a straight line. So does the Superjet 100. But so does another Sukhoi design, the S-80. Also has that steep, straight nose, albeit being of a completely different design approach.

If you say so. We are all entitled to our opinions, aren't we? We'll just have to leave it at that.

Lastly, take away the nose of the Embraer or the Sukhoi and graft an Airbus 320 nose onto it. Nigh on everybody will take it as a genuine A320. The sole distinguishing feature would be the different winglets.

Based on your comment about being ignorant of differences in airliners, it doesn't surprise me in the least that you feel this way.