but dude, you get to fly !

:D not during the air wing I don't...

But in all honesty, that's the instructional work I really sort of enjoy. I was just having this conversation with one of the SH-60 instructors Thursday night/Friday morning after a CSAR event.... It's certainly cool to see a crew nail an event and not really need much in the way of a debrief... that means they "get it" and if they have to do it for real, they'll probably do well, be heroes, get medals, and all that.

But as a professional instructor, it's personally rewarding every once in a while to see someone goon something up, have to debrief them on it, and be able to pull it off in such a way that the dude is happy about it and wants to buy you a drink afterwards...

It means you drove home the learning point without alienating the audience.

My all time FAVORITE job - because it didn't involve non-flying, non-tactical navy sillines - was strength and conditioning coach. Seeing dudes go from the sorta-tubby, shy freshman to team captain, confident leader senior because of the effort he put forth and, I'd like to think, the coaching and encouragement he got from yours truly and a dude who plays on Sundays now.

I DO really enjoy the teaching and tactical parts of the job - I liken it to being a doctor. No MD I know would with a disease on anyone, but LOTS of MDs I know like the intellectual challenge. Likewise, no one I know WANTS to fight, but LOTS of folks I know like the intellectual challenge of taking down IADS, and beyond that, teaching - and watching someone eventually grasp - the intellectual gymnastics it requires...

Hmmm, have you thought about some sort of coaching/conditioning type of work after the Navy ?

Gregg

I have 10 1/2 years left. Thus far, I've thought about "surviving."

And Katherine Heigl... but that's a different story.

Uhm wait wait,same jet:

We can build bot the light red camouflaged bird and the other #10 twin? :banana:

Holy cow I was waiting the decals for this bird since I saw it for the first time some years ago :banana:

Don't want to bug you anymore,but the are there any pictures of the 3rd variation of the Powder Puff?

Edited by Mizar

I'm not sure what you are calling 'light-red' camouflage... That picture inflight of 30 is the standard blue splinter that it always carried, whether 30, 10 or 20 modex. I think what you are calling 'red' is the sunlight hitting the dark Ghost gray paint...

I've heard people think there was a desert splinter - Topgun or NSAWC NEVER had that. VF-101 and VF-11 both had sand desert temporary schemes at one time and NSAWC had an Iranian "desert" scheme, 13.

Sorry to disappoint you...

As for the third variation of the Powderpuff, it was just a modex change.

-brian

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
I'm not sure what you are calling 'light-red' camouflage... That picture inflight of 30 is the standard blue splinter that it always carried, whether 30, 10 or 20 modex. I think what you are calling 'red' is the sunlight hitting the dark Ghost gray paint...

I've heard people think there was a desert splinter - Topgun or NSAWC NEVER had that. VF-101 and VF-11 both had sand desert temporary schemes at one time and NSAWC had an Iranian "desert" scheme, 13.

Sorry to disappoint you...

As for the third variation of the Powderpuff, it was just a modex change.

-brian

I agree with Brian , there was never a desert splinter Tomcat .....! Those photo's were it appears to carry a kind of desert scheme is because of the lightfall . when I was at Miramar around that time when those photo's were taken , I asked about it , and they assured me no desert splinter Tomcat

Maybe this photo will clarify things:

SplinterTomcatNFWS1.jpg

This is F-14A 159855 NFWS 30 ( 1994 /95 )

Henk "Omar"

I would like to join and show you some NFWS Hornets , the photo's were taken in the late afternoon on 16 feb 1995 , just after the the disestablishment ceremony of VF-111 @ NAS Miramar

FA-18A162871NFWS43160395004-01.jpg

F/A-18 162871 NFWS 43 photo by Henk van der Lugt

FA-18A161715NFWS74160395003-01.jpg

F/A-18A 161715 NFWS 74 photo by Henk van der Lugt

The quality isn't the best but lighting wasn't too good either !

Henk "Omar"

That was actually a different jet -97 got. I believe 46? 42 was only painted that way at Topgun. It was repainted or stricken shortly after moving to NSAWC, and it never wore the NSAWC bolt.

-brian

I seem to remember that on the NFWS 46 there were two different BuNo's stencilled : 162894 and 162984

Brian, can you remember this or is it just a brain warp of me ????

Henk "Omar"

When You're in a "2v1" and you're the "1" - it helps you know WHO YOU'VE SHOT, AND WHO YOU HAVEN'T.
Thanks for the reply. I must assume then that camo color had little to with distance at which an adversary was spotted. It's all about the dark spot in the sky or moving blotch against the terrain.
Thanks for the reply. I must assume then that camo color had little to with distance at which an adversary was spotted. It's all about the dark spot in the sky or moving blotch against the terrain.

All sort of depends on background and lighting...