Plane crashes in shopping center parking lot

CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee (AP) -- A small plane crashed onto an unoccupied car in a shopping center parking lot Wednesday night after skipping across other vehicles and clipping a pole, witnesses and authorities said.

The four people on board survived without life-threatening injuries.

The Beechcraft King Air twin turboprop was preparing to land at Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport when it crashed about 2,000 feet from the runway into the lot of the Brainerd Village Shopping Center around 8 p.m., authorities said.

The plane careened off at least three cars before hitting a telephone pole, witnesses said.

Bystanders helped pull the passengers from the plane. They were in various conditions at a hospital Wednesday night, but rescuers said the pilot appeared to be the most seriously injured.

advertisement

At least one of the cars the plane hit before clipping the pole had people in it, but they were not injured, officials said.

The plane was heavily damaged, but there was no fire after the crash, officials said. Federal investigators were en route.

Photo here

The aircraft came to a stop very, very close to a high-traffic road.

Glad everyone made it out okay.

From the linked article:

"Attorney Flores (a witness to the crash) said he saw a large amount of beer in a cooler on the plane."

Significant? Insignificant? Typical media addition?

Edited by David Walker
"Attorney Flores (a witness to the crash) said he saw a large amount of beer in a cooler on the plane."

Significant? Insignificant?

Possibly. The pilot radioed in around 8p that he was having problems. Now, they could have been alcohol induced or not.

Well, I hope so. I would be mad, if my plane didnt't have full catering. Alcoholic beverages like wine, liquor and beer are common on corporate aircraft. We sometimes used six-packs of beer to speed up refueling and handling. Depends where you fly to.