French defence minister criticises Rafale costs

From forbes.com

PARIS (Thomson Financial) - France's defence minister Herve Morin has criticised the development costs of Dassault Aviation's Rafale fighter jet.

Morin also questioned the use of 'hypertechnology' in the defence industry, saying that some industry experts estimate the top 5 pct of technology in a programme could add as much as 20 or 25 pct to the cost.

'Hypertechnology is also a barrier to exports for a certain number of countries because they don't need equipment for high intensity combat,' Morin said.

Morin stressed that he thinks the Rafale is a 'superb' aircraft. It has not yet received any export orders, although an order for 15 aircraft from Morocco is on the cards, Agence France-Presse said, citing unnamed sources.

France is also in discussions in Libya, and the aircraft is being considered in India's competition for 126 fighter aircraft.

Griping about the development costs now? I thought the Rafale was not only in service, but had already made it's first combat deployment (Afghanistan).

Most interesting! Thanks for linking, Trigger! :blink:

Doesn't make all that much sense to complain about the cost now, especially since he, as the defence minister, is the one identified with the costs! :blink:

And that 5% remark? It's likely to be those 5% with 25% of the cost that will give his pilots the edge in an engagement.

Hope that the Rafales will get some export success. I believe they won't be on a par with previous successes such as the Mirage III, 5, F.1 and 2000, but that's to be expected.

Hope that the Rafales will get some export success. I believe they won't be on a par with previous successes such as the Mirage III, 5, F.1 and 2000, but that's to be expected.

Thanks for posting that Trigger. It does seem a tad late to say that now, but I doubt they will have much export success, but I'm probably wrong. I do know they were hoping for Australia to go Rafale instead of JSF on accoount of the previous Mirage buy, but that didn't happen. The cost of the aircarft is justified by its looks anyways :woot.gif:

Will