Sea Knight catches fire

Someone tell me that the crew slapped the living crap out of the idiot with the camera that continued to film while there was a full blown egress situation going on in the helo.

Seriously... flippin' idiot...

Yeah so back in the day if there was a fire on a 135 I was flying on, I think it would be REALLY cool if one of the members of my crew was standing in my way making sure he got COOL video that he could upload to YouTube when he got home.

Someone tell me that the crew slapped the living crap out of the idiot with the camera that continued to film while there was a full blown egress situation going on in the helo.

Seriously... flippin' idiot...

Yeah so back in the day if there was a fire on a 135 I was flying on, I think it would be REALLY cool if one of the members of my crew was standing in my way making sure he got COOL video that he could upload to YouTube when he got home.

Clearly this moron doesn't have any sense of self-preservation. The minute that I'm sitting in any aircraft videotaping flames licking the underside of the fuselage and I don't hightail it outta there licketysplit, I need to be put out to pasture. Bizarre. But Thank God everyone got out O.K.

Like most of you my first thought was *** is that clown doing still filming ...

It looked like he lost interest in filming as soon as he was able to join the egress; he just left the camera running. There also seemed to be another guy holding a camera as they made their way out.

Edited by MiG31

Wow, aren't we all taking ourselves seriously. Who gives a crap if the camera was running or not? It's fairly obvious the guy wasn't taking pains to actually point the camera; it was just still running. And the person who shouted to get out of the way - can anybody prove who they were yelling at? It appeared from the film that at least some of the non-crew who were in the helo were civilians, probably media - and keeping the camera rolling is what they're trained to do. I'm glad they did, and that I got to see it. Especially the crewman inside the helo herding the other people ahead of him, putting his own safety last - great people, those sailors and Marines.

Wow, aren't we all taking ourselves seriously. Who gives a crap if the camera was running or not? It's fairly obvious the guy wasn't taking pains to actually point the camera; it was just still running. And the person who shouted to get out of the way - can anybody prove who they were yelling at? It appeared from the film that at least some of the non-crew who were in the helo were civilians, probably media - and keeping the camera rolling is what they're trained to do. I'm glad they did, and that I got to see it. Especially the crewman inside the helo herding the other people ahead of him, putting his own safety last - great people, those sailors and Marines.

Being former aircrew Andrew with over 2K hours in military aircraft and a Chief Flight Examiner at that, there simply is no excuse...

Trust me, if the guy was civilian, he got the Emergency Procedures/Egress brief before he got on the helo. If the crew in the helo were professional aviators (no doubt in my mind) he received a proper brief on what to do in case of an emergency. I'm thinkin', "if there's an emergency, just keep the camera rolling and stay in our way" was not what was briefed.

I've been on an aircraft with my fair share of IFE's and ground emergency's. There is no other way to take them than "seriously" since you never really know what's going to happen while the whole thing is going down.

You know how this works all you active and former aircrew guys on this forum, that video will be used as a briefing tool to every other civi/pax that flies on a military aircraft at a lot of units now... as it should be.

Not crackin' on you or anything Andrew, this kind of thing just hits me right between the eyes being a former CFE. I've seen plenty of dudes (even military guys that weren't aircrew) get hurt dealing with EPs that were a heck of a lot less serious than this one.

Ish might know more, but it looks like hydraulic fluid leaked and caught fire in the catch pan area shortly after liftoff.

I didn't spend much time in Chinooks, but severe hydraulic leaks in this section of the aircraft appeared to be common. Since they are both Vertol designs, I am assuming they would be similar.

The helicopter touched back down at 24 seconds into the video. Between 25 seconds and 34 seconds, the camera is not focused on anything in particular. You can hear the sounds of the engines being shut down. In the background, you can hear yelling. I can't quite make it out, but it sounds like "Hold on, Clear Left, Clear left". At 34 seconds, a uniformed crew member starts yelling "Go go go." He pushes a man wearing a cranial and denim jeans. You then will notice the person holding the camera is pushed back into the bench. It appears that someone tripped over him. At that point several people, some wearing denim jeans and sneakers are seen heading toward the door. Noone appeared to have been moving before the "go go go" order. There appears to be a log jam at the door, but the person carrying the camera is on the deck at 49 seconds. The "Get out of the way" appears to have been said by an individual assisting someone in a flight suit as they enter the island. It was said twice, once farther from the person holding the camera, once close in. The person follows them into the door and the tape ends at 1:07.

From 34 seconds into the video until he is off the helo at 49 seconds, it appears the camera is simply being carried. It certainly doesn't appear that the guy with the camera was about to set up a tripod and film the inside of the cabin. Cut the guy some slack.

I wonder what cause the fire.................. Any ideas, js=ust engine or what??

Will

That was HMM-164, I know the CC he just Ret. last month. SSgt Cliff Bowers, He was a 6152/6172 like me. The Fire started because of a Hyd pump leak, the hyd fluid was sucked up the Genrators. That Bird is now with HMM-166

Too piggy back onto the SSgt's comments.

CH-46 with a hydraulic fire (they are way, way nasty). Reporter was specifically told in the pre-flight passenger brief to have the camera stowed where it wouldn't become a missle hazard and NO FILMING inside the aircraft, for various reasons, most importantly the camera blocking egress in the case of a water landing.

Mucho Props to the crew for getting it on the deck! I know at least 15 folks who have crashed/crashed in 46's.

HTH

Spongebob

Too piggy back onto the SSgt's comments.

CH-46 with a hydraulic fire (they are way, way nasty). Reporter was specifically told in the pre-flight passenger brief to have the camera stowed where it wouldn't become a missle hazard and NO FILMING inside the aircraft, for various reasons, most importantly the camera blocking egress in the case of a water landing.

Mucho Props to the crew for getting it on the deck! I know at least 15 folks who have crashed/crashed in 46's.

HTH

Spongebob

WORD!!!!

FYI some comments from the Liveleak site...

"This happened in Sept of 1998 aboard the "Bonhomer Richard", pronounced with a french dialect. My squadron was HMM-164 and I was a CH-46 Helo Mech. We were supporting Operation Urban Warrior off the Monterey coast in California. This bird was taking media crews back and forth from land to the carrier all day and at this moment they were leaving to go back to shore. I was in the chow hall aboard the Bonhomer "Dick" when this happened. CH-46 crewchief Sgt. Beyers received smoke inhalation while saving these people and was treated at the scene. For his actions "under fire", no pun intended, he received a Certificate of comendation and a "NAM". After investigating, it was found that a pinhole in one of the aft transmission lines was atomizing(spraying) fluid and the spray was being sucked into the aft generator and this caused the fire. Transmission fluid is not flammable in large quantities but when atomized it is very flammable. The aft portion of this bird was completely destroyed and had to be removed and replaced. After 9 months of rebuilding this bird was put back into the fleet and renumbered. Before the fire it was #07 and after we got it back it was

#15. Cpl Petree USMC 97-02 "

FYI some comments from the Liveleak site...

"This happened in Sept of 1998 aboard the "Bonhomer Richard", pronounced with a french dialect. My squadron was HMM-164 and I was a CH-46 Helo Mech. We were supporting Operation Urban Warrior off the Monterey coast in California. This bird was taking media crews back and forth from land to the carrier all day and at this moment they were leaving to go back to shore. I was in the chow hall aboard the Bonhomer "Dick" when this happened. CH-46 crewchief Sgt. Beyers received smoke inhalation while saving these people and was treated at the scene. For his actions "under fire", no pun intended, he received a Certificate of comendation and a "NAM". After investigating, it was found that a pinhole in one of the aft transmission lines was atomizing(spraying) fluid and the spray was being sucked into the aft generator and this caused the fire. Transmission fluid is not flammable in large quantities but when atomized it is very flammable. The aft portion of this bird was completely destroyed and had to be removed and replaced. After 9 months of rebuilding this bird was put back into the fleet and renumbered. Before the fire it was #07 and after we got it back it was

#15. Cpl Petree USMC 97-02 "

*** Petree........... This is SSgt Davenport from A/F how you doing????? Yep, but it is Bowers not Beyers.

Hawley is a Gunny now!!!

For any and all who complain about the expense and teething problems of the V-22: Maybe and maybe not, but something has to come in to replace those worn-out, beat-up, Vietnam-issue Phrogs. Doing nothing is a dangerous choice, too.

:cheers: Bro, I do not know you, but I do not like you..................... Yes we do need a new bird, but the V-22 deathspray ant it!!!!!!

I know, I know guys :coolio:

Edited by SSgtd6152