1/48 scale IAF A-10I

No, No I get the what if part, I was thinking about it a ittle too hard and your right about the gun. I guess I was just thinking that the what if part would make sence if there were a need. Kinda like when the IAF was looking at the E model Eagle and the D model Hornet and comparing the two. Keep the pic's commin

Jim

Jim,

I thought about placing a targeting pod of some sort there but it's to close to the gun. The Avenger produces too more vibration to put a laser or any other targeting pod there.

That is what I like...a What-If with some practical thought put into it.

Chappie

Well thats what I was getting at with the whole concept "Pratical thought" . So lets take the Pratical thought a little further, if you put the Litening pod in the port nacel then how do you cool it? the pod has a vent on the side of it for this pupose. Now on the model there is a intake ontop of the nacel but there is just somehting funny looking about the whole thing. I guess it's becasue were used to seeing the whole pod hanging on the side of an aircraft. Also if the nacel could be fared in more to the pod like was done with the radome then it might look more aerodynamic . This is definalty the most I have ever thought about a what if and has really got the brain cells thinking, thanks again for the build.

Jim

Anohter thought just popped into my head. Your Kosher hog needs some teeth. Now were all familer with the England AFB shark mouths and the hog tusks but how about a set of teath like was on F-4E #187 now that has to be the biggest set of theat on any airplane and would be fitting with that gun in the nose.

Jim

Edited by Hornet78

I made a little more progress on my Sand Hawg.

After install the housing for the brake parchute, there was a small opening just under the housing and did not know what to do about it. But after adding some extra chaff and flare boxes to two weapon stations, why not add another box to the tail? I measured a piece of rectangular rod to fit and cut it with my Chopper and prowelded it to place.

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3832.jpg

I got to looking at my dual python launcher and had a feeling it was too wide. I think some here posted that it width too. I had scribed two panel lines that ran the length of the part.

IMG_3973.jpg

I reduce the width of the launcher at those panel lines.

IMG_3974.jpg

Here the it is put together with double back tape.

IMG_3980.jpg

A good friend of mind at work cut some stripes of styrene to be use for the low lighting stripes. I do not know where he got it from but it is super thin! Measured, cut and prowelded it into place. (not going to add the strip to the tail due to squadron markings :) )

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

Steven L

Every time I think about the A-10, I few things come to mind. One of those things are AGM-65 Mavericks and I will be adding some on my Sand Hawg. The Monogram Mavericks that come with kit are some of the best in 1/48 scale. You get 6 of them and comes with two LAU-88 triple launchers. After doing a little research, found that Hawg unit stop using the triple rail due to drag and now use the single rail LAU-117. So time to make some (4) LAU-117 single rail launchers! Each launcher has 9 parts( body, upper anti-sway plate, lower guide rail, 4 stiffer plate, rear box and a small piece of brass rod)

IMG_4011.jpg

Side view

IMG_4012.jpg

3/4 front

IMG_4013.jpg

Steven L

Since you are going for a what-if A-10, what about a small IR jammer on the blank section on the tail, you know like they have on the Apache. I like how you mind works for the add-ons. Yes the dual rails for the Python looks better now that you narrowed them down. Keep up the great work.

Wayne Beattie

Since you are going for a what-if A-10, what about a small IR jammer on the blank section on the tail, you know like they have on the Apache.

Wayne Beattie

Wayne,

Your are talking about an AN/ALQ-144 right? They were installed on OV-1Ds and RV-1Ds, but can not find any pics of the AN/ALQ-144 on any airplane. As well as the upgrade versions are designed for use on helicopters.

Take Care,

Steven L

Wayne,

Your are talking about an AN/ALQ-144 right? They were installed on OV-1Ds and RV-1Ds, but can not find any pics of the AN/ALQ-144 on any airplane. As well as the upgrade versions are designed for use on helicopters.

Take Care,

Steven L

That is the one Steve,

I was thinking, the Israeli's like to adapt technology to their needs. They have it on the Apache, they could adapt it to fly on the SandHog. It would definitely help hide the exhaust from the engines. Just did a little research on it and found a picture of a Su-25K with a Infra-red jammer on the tail. Here is the address. http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http...ial%26sa%3DN Not pushing the idea, just thinking on screen. :D

Wayne

Edited by Quiddy
That is the one Steve,

I was thinking, the Israeli's like to adapt technology to their needs. They have it on the Apache, they could adapt it to fly on the SandHog. It would definitely help hide the exhaust from the engines. Just did a little research on it and found a picture of a Su-25K with a Infra-red jammer on the tail.

su25_5.jpg

:explode: ...

Steven L

This week I was hoping to get my Sand Hawg painted but something just was not right. I got to measuring and found that the wings on my Sand Hawg were wrong. :woo: Moreover the number of hardpoints was wrong as well. The overall wing span on all IAF A-10s are 6 feet wider than its USAF cousins and the total number of hardpoints is 13 not 11, 2 more than its State side siblings. :coolio:

newwing1.jpg

Each wing gets a 3 feet extension just out board of the aileron. I mark with tape where I need to cut and with my razor saw, off came the outer wing.

IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

Now with the wingtips off, I cut a piece of sheet styrene to bridge the 3 ft and super glued it to the outer wing.

IMG_4017.jpg

Amazing enough a tongue depressor is 3 ft wide in 1/48 scale. ;) So I made a spacer for the wing extension. With the 3 ft extension added, the outer wing gets a little smaller. The red line on the trailing edge of the wing shows the taper of the wing and a small portion of the trailing edge will be removed. So it is important to line up the leading edge of the wing and not the trailing edge. To help eat up space, I wrapped a strip of styrene around the wing extension and place thinned strips of styrene on top of it to helps maintain the shape of the wing.

IMG_4019.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

After 5 tubes of super glues and a few tablespoons of baby powder, I finally got it cover. :cheers: Opps, I missed a spot on the leading edge. Time to start sanding!

IMG_4023.jpg

After rough sanding, you can see the thin strips of styrene I added to help maintain the shape of the wing.

IMG_4025.jpg

Here you can see where I trimmed the trailing edge back to shape.

IMG_4026.jpg

Here you can see the new hardpoint location. A piece of sheet styrene cut to shape and prowelded into place.

IMG_4028.jpg

After shooting a coat of primer over the new wing extension, I replaced the two reinforcement stripe and rescribed the aileron.

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4035.jpg

Now time to work on Wayne's Infra-red jammer :coolio:

Steven L

Steven

Your Sand Hog looks fantastic. If I may propose an alternative for your IR jammer situation: DIRCM.

Directional Infrared Countermeasures is currently in use on the AFSOC MC-130s, MH-53M, and the CV-22B as well as RAF Merlin HC.3s. It replaced the old "disco ball" IRCM on the MH-53 and it's designed to counter the latest generation of MANPADS.