1/48 scale IAF A-10I

As a thought, I'd agree to the addition of a number of chaff/flare packs. There's the recent model in the Helicopter forum of a particularly well-known Israeli Apache that had some eight or nine dispenser pods mounted on it. Perhaps some extras could go on the wingtips or other fuselage locations?

Otherwise, LOVING the build, great stuff! Given a thought to what you might store on your thirteen stations? I'd never seen Hellfires on an A-10 myself, though I understand it can carry them. It would be amusing to have the four-pack trees mounted under the wings...

Given a thought to what you might store on your thirteen stations? I'd never seen Hellfires on an A-10 myself, though I understand it can carry them. It would be amusing to have the four-pack trees mounted under the wings...

Thanks Icchan,

I wish I had some Hellfires, but I don't :thumbsup: . Would be cool. As of 11/26, the weapons loadout looks like this.

loadout11_26.jpg

Cheers,

Steven L

A small word of caution, A friend of mine was an A-10 pilot and he always looks for overloaded Hogs which seam to happen quite allot in modeling circles. Maybe the 6 dasiey cutters are a bit much on the fuselage hard points ??? just a sugjestion build it how you want. Looking forward to more

Jim

A small word of caution, A friend of mine was an A-10 pilot and he always looks for overloaded Hogs which seam to happen quite allot in modeling circles. Maybe the 6 dasiey cutters are a bit much on the fuselage hard points ??? just a sugjestion build it how you want. Looking forward to more

Jim

Jim,

Your taking this way too seriously. :thumbsup: It's just a plastic model. A "What If" at that. I'm just having fun building it as well as posting my progress. Not worried about ANY technical details at all.

It would take the fun out it :D

Happy Modeling,

Steven L

StevenL,

I'm sorry dude but I gotta go along with Hornet78. As a bomb loader, weapons loads is the only area of modeling where I'm a "rivet counter". How about these options with the ALQ-119 being Sta 1 and Python 4 Sta 13..........

Keeping 1-4 and 10-13 the same:

3 TERs (one on C/L) with a flat load of Mk 117s.

4 GBU-32s, GBU-16s, or CBU-105s (one on each parent rack)

Changing outboard weapons:

2 GBU-31s (BLU-109) on Sta 5 and 9 and replace the Mk82s on Sta 2 and 12 with GBU-38s.

BRU-57s on Stas 5, 7, and 9 loaded with GBU-32s or CBU-105s.

JSOWs on Stas 5, 6, 8, & 9 and GBU-38s on 2 and 12.

Lastly is a pure CAS load.........

Single CBU-105s on 2-6 and 8-12. Even this is a heavy load, around 8,000 to 10,000lbs. I think WCMDS are between 800 and 1,000lbs a piece.

Chappie

You guys are too funny! :D :lol:

As I stated earlier, You guys are taking this way too seriously. It's just a plastic model. A "What If" at that! Not worried about ANY technical details at all.

It would take the fun out it. I build because I enjoy it, its fun. If its not fun..... what's the point? :banana:

Cheers,

Steven L

Ok

here's the thing, Your completely correct in that it's a what if but the thing has to get inot the air "Unless" it's going to be a air show fight line loadout. after all it's an airplane that needs to be able to get into the air. It's kinda like building a what if battleship with 18 main guns, the darn thing would tip over. I guess the thing is you have extending the wings to and more pylons for more weapons which is fine but you havn't put on some afterburning engines to get her up and going

It's a matter of how far one wants to take it, for chappie and I we would scale it back a bit but thats just us talking,again it's your model were just along for the ride "And enjoying it" :banana:

Jim

PS isn't all this talk fun about what each of us would do and what your doing.

there were times i myself changed some stuff on my models so they have "bigger"loadout was around 16-17 back then and didnt know much and cant really say i did a greta job heh , nevertheless, i never saw extended work like this in a A-10 , probably cause im still relatively new :) personally i like it a lot. and looking forward for more pics :o soonish ! :0

In all fairness ,could we safely assume that , this A-10 compared to normal A-10s, is what a WRC Evo is compared to production evo?

Thanks for the support guys. Here's a little mid-week progress report. Been working on Wayne's AN/ALQ-4073 Infra-red jammer. :wacko:

I removed the ECM bump that was placed on the top of the chute housing.

IMG_4037.jpg

The new Infra-red jammer is made from a piece of 5mm plastic tube and the face of the jammer will be a flat back crystal. A little better then acrylic rhinestones. I pick these up at a local arts & craft store for under $5.

IMG_4039.jpg

With my razor saw, I cut the tube into two.

IMG_4040.jpg

Here you can see the jammer glued into place and the ECM is placed on top. Going to scribed a few panel lines on the jammer housing before gluing the bump into place. The face of the jammer will be glued into place after paint.

IMG_4043.jpg

Cheers,

Steven L

Looking great Steven! I always look forward to updates on this build. And I agree with you, it's a What-if, so load it to the teeth! Have you thought about putting any LGBs on it, seeing as you've gone to the trouble of integrating a laser pod?

Chris

Hi Steven,

I like how you keep calling it my jammer :worship: . I think it's great how you can just add it in no problem. It would have taken me a week or 2 to think how to do it. Very inspirational. The bombs with the daisy cutter extensions, are they going to have the "air brake" (can't think off hand what they are really called) on the back. A-10's are low level so you don't want to blow yourself up!

Keep up the great work!

Wayne

Hi Steven,

I like how you keep calling it my jammer :) . I think it's great how you can just add it in no problem. It would have taken me a week or 2 to think how to do it. Very inspirational. The bombs with the daisy cutter extensions, are they going to have the "air brake" (can't think off hand what they are really called) on the back. A-10's are low level so you don't want to blow yourself up!

Keep up the great work!

Wayne

Thanks Wayne for your kind words :worship:

About the daisy cutter fused bomb, just your normal 500 pounder. For your dive bombing pleasure :rofl:

IMG_3664.jpg

:P

Steven L

Steven,

If you insist on going with the heavy load.. :coolio: ......kidding dude- how about Mk 84s with fuse extenders? We dropped a couple of those @ DM back in 95. I've never seen 84s with extenders before or since then. I have a picture of four on a trailer if you want it.

Chappie

What did you use for the extensions?

Wayne

Wayne,

I used an aluminum rod for the fuze extender, I measured and cut a fuze extender for each bomb then super glued them in place.

Cheers,

Steven L

Small update on the AN/ALQ-4073 Infra-red jammer. I scribed a few panel lines on the jammer housing and placed the ECM bump on top. After little filling and sanding, I shot a coat primer for a look-see.

The jammer face (a flat back crystal) is just double back taped into place.

IMG_4062.jpg

Steven L

Awesome build! :banana:

Have you thought of a Hebrew name? After all, every aircraft in Israeli service received a Hebrew name. And this build is so elaborate, you just have to find a fitting name and translate it to Hebrew.

its just... :worship:

Its funny how people encourages a "what if" build, but when it comes to bomb loads...... :P

I also like my models to have the most possible thingies that go "BOOM!".... :P

Ivan

I guess this was aimed at me. Well the bases of the what if is based on something that could have possibly happend. That why these are so cool. BUT what I'm getting at is basic Physics, the plane has to be able to get into the air. I still love this build however the builder wants to build it. I think the premiss and idea are awsome.

Jim

I guess this was aimed at me. Well the bases of the what if is based on something that could have possibly happend. That why these are so cool. BUT what I'm getting at is basic Physics, the plane has to be able to get into the air. I still love this build however the builder wants to build it. I think the premiss and idea are awsome.

Jim

Yeap, the the premiss and idea are awsome, and only for that, lets give this guy a chance....but only for this time... :thumbsup:

Ivan

Looks fantastic Steven. Blends right in.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne.

Awesome build! :thumbsup:

Have you thought of a Hebrew name? After all, every aircraft in Israeli service received a Hebrew name. And this build is so elaborate, you just have to find a fitting name and translate it to Hebrew.

Thanks. Anyone know how to say Pork, Pig or Hog in Hebrew?

BUT what I'm getting at is basic Physics, the plane has to be able to get into the air.

Plastic models don't fly. It least not mine. :banana:

Cheers,

Steven L