1/48 scale IAF A-10I

Thanks Ken, Jim and OKB Krasnaya Zvezda!

Here's a few WIP pics of the new engine. I first tape off where I was going to cut off the old engines. Then with my favorite tool, razor saw, I cut off the old engines.

IMG_4107.jpg

IMG_4108.jpg

To make the new engines, I was going to use the kits fan section as well as the aft/nozzle section of the engines. The center section will be discarded.

IMG_4110.jpg

The new center section will be scratchbuilt. :whistle: Just going to roll a strip of styrene in a tube and glue the kits ends onto it. Then back fill putty to the center section and reshape. Sounds easy... right!? The problem is you just can not glue the two ends together and hope it will keep it's shape. It wouldn't. Here's how I did it. After doing some math and get the circumference and the diameter of the new center section, with my dividers I cut five disks for support which will be glued inside the tube. I then cut a strip the circumference of the tube and super glued the ends together. Next I use the outside of the blanks of the disks as a jig. Now I can sand each disk to fit and glue it into place and the tube will keep it's shape!

IMG_4115.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

I prowelded the fan section to one end the aft/nozzle section to the other end. Using my favorite putty(Superglue & Baby powder) I back filled to the new center section. Time to sand!

IMG_4119.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

The kits nozzle comes in two parts, a rear fan part and a cone. The new TF35's has a larger cone then the TF34. The new larger cone is made from section of old F-15 drop tank.

IMG_4122.jpg

Sanding and shaping done. Time to prime for a look-see!

IMG_4125.jpg

Steven L

:cheers: Happy New Year! :D

Since last year, I completed the other TF35 engine. Now that I cut off both engines then made new ones, my next issue is how to attached back to the airframe. I wanted a super strong joint, strong enough so one can pick up my Sandhog by the engines and not rip them off doing so. Remember I added weight in the nose to make sure she will not be a tail sitter. As well as if the engine were misaligned it would be as clear as day. So what I needed is some way to mount both engine so when looking in front or rear view, both engine will be at the same angle. The good thing is the area in red, that opening is the same angle on both side of the model. All I needed is something that would fit inside the opening and then mount it to both of the engines.

IMG_4112.jpg

In my plastic stash, I got a strip of styrene thats about one inch wide and 1/8 inch thick. With my razor saw, I cut two mounting strips. I then drill three holes 1/16 for some aluminum tubes to support the mount to the engines. I cut the tubes long enough to go through the mounting strips and touch the opposite side of the engine.

IMG_4389.jpg

To glue the engines back to the airframe, I mixed up some 5 minute epoxy and fill where the mounting strip slide inside the model. With a 5 minute cure time, that gave me more that enough time to check and double check the alignment of each engine. Would rather over build it than under build and have someone rip an engine off just by picking it up.

IMG_4391.jpg

Here she is with both engines mounted and after filling/sanding.

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

Steven L

i have only just found this build and OMG what a beauty!!!!

i was mucking around the the A-10 in the playstation 2 game (air combat ace 4) earlier and having great fun, nearly as much as it seems you are having with this build.

your scratch building skills are stunning!!! cant wait to see this finished. are you going to enter this into the a-10 gb?

i have only just found this build and OMG what a beauty!!!!

i was mucking around the the A-10 in the playstation 2 game (air combat ace 4) earlier and having great fun, nearly as much as it seems you are having with this build.

your scratch building skills are stunning!!! cant wait to see this finished. are you going to enter this into the a-10 gb?

Thanks rjwood_uk :banana:

As for the A-10 Group Build? I have been thinking about it. :blink:

Steven L

stan.jpg

Dude, you're still insane.

(but this has to be one of the coolest builds I've ever seen!)

Thanks Jose! <_<

Oh, BTW... I rescribed the tops and bottoms of the wings. :coolio:

Me insane?! :pray: :wacko: :D

Steven L

• 2 weeks later...

I have been neglecting my Sandhog for a few weeks now. Be working on so "What If" F-8 Crusader profiles. ;)

Here's a small update.

Precision Papermate LGD's!?!! Pens, to me, has always looked like so form of a missile or bomb. And I decided to get rid of all those cluster bombs. And that's where the Precision Papermate LGB's (PPM LGB) comes in. I drawing up some ideas and came up with a design I was happy with.

IMG_4414.jpg

So I got four Papermate pens and cut them to length. And stuck them back together.

IMG_4413.jpg

I then scanned my drawing and open it in Photoshop.There I scaled the image and redrew and printed it to

check it is the right size. Once I had the correct size, I then copied and pasted enough fins for 4 PPM

LGB's. If you want a copy of my PPM LGB fin file go >>>HERE<<<

IMG_4416.jpg

I then printed the fin file and Super 77 it to some sheet styrene. The fronts fins, I used .03 and the rear

fins, I used .08

IMG_4418.jpg

With a new no# 11 blade and a straight edge, I cut out all the fins. Once done cutting, I lightly sanded the each side and super glued it to the body of the PPM LGB body. Heres one all glued up. Bit of a design change, the front fins in my original drawing was facing the other way but I think they look a little tougher this way. And yes, the pen still works :cheers:

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

Steven L

I have been neglecting my Sandhog for a few weeks now. Be working on so "What If" F-8 Crusader profiles. :coolio:

Here's a small update.

Precision Papermate LGD's!?!! Pens, to me, has always looked like so form of a missile or bomb. And I decided to get rid of all those cluster bombs. And that's where the Precision Papermate LGB's (PPM LGB) comes in. I drawing up some ideas and came up with a design I was happy with.

IMG_4414.jpg

So I got four Papermate pens and cut them to length. And stuck them back together.

IMG_4413.jpg

I then scanned my drawing and open it in Photoshop.There I scaled the image and redrew and printed it to

check it is the right size. Once I had the correct size, I then copied and pasted enough fins for 4 PPM

LGB's. If you want a copy of my PPM LGB fin file go >>>HERE<<<

IMG_4416.jpg

I then printed the fin file and Super 77 it to some sheet styrene. The fronts fins, I used .03 and the rear

fins, I used .08

IMG_4418.jpg

With a new no# 11 blade and a straight edge, I cut out all the fins. Once done cutting, I lightly sanded the each side and super glued it to the body of the PPM LGB body. Heres one all glued up. Bit of a design change, the front fins in my original drawing was facing the other way but I think they look a little tougher this way. And yes, the pen still works :bandhead2:

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

Steven L

WOWWW THIS IS AN INCREDIBLY FANTASTIC BUILD!!!!!!!!!!!! WOWWW!! THIS IS AMAZING! KEEP IT UP!!!! :) :doh::crying2: