1/48 scale IAF A-10I

Dude, You're insane

Jose, you didn't know, were all insane here. :banana: ;) :doh:

This week’s progress report. Not much this week. I did finally get her wings on. Started filling and sanding the wing to fuselage joint. Not to bad on top but on the bottom... It’s going need some work. Had to remove the slat on the upper wing (part no# 50 and 51) To protect the raised detail while sanding, I cover the areas I wanted to save with tape.

IMG_3728.jpg

IMG_3737.jpg

IMG_3727.jpg

Im finally happy with just how I am going to paint my Sandhog. From the start I known the paint job was not going to be a wrap around. But was undecided about it the camouflage itself. Will the edges be feathered, hard line or maybe even splinter type? I choose to drop the splinter idea due to it’s not that Israeli, it’s more an Aggressor scheme. After a few hours playing in Photoshop, I decided the paint scheme will have hard lines with a gray underside. Next will be marking.

IAFsandhogpaint.jpg

Steven L

Now that I made some Python 4's, I need a new Dual Python 4 launcher to hang them on. I also want to add some new chaff and flare(C/F) boxes on my Sandhog but did not know where I was going to put them. Why buy something that someone else made went I can make it myself. So, inspired by some pics of some F-4E pylons with C/F boxes on them, not only am I going to kitbash/scratchbuild a new dual Python 4 launcher, Im going to added a C/F boxes to the pylon. I decide to place the new C/F boxes on the outer most plyons. After a little research on the F-4E pylons, I came up with a shape and found a place to put them. The C/F box was made from a piece of styrene rectangular rod 1/8 X 1/4 cut to shape. I remove the raise detail on the pylon where I was going to place the new box and pro welded it into place.

IMG_3768.jpg

With the new C/F box in place I came to a new problem. The nozzle of the Python 4 is too close to the C/F box. Going to place a spacer to put more space in-between the C/F box and the missile. The area outline in red is where the chaff and flare would be released at. Will add a grill detail on that area later. Here you can see the piece of styrene that is the start of the spacer.

IMG_3779.jpg

IMG_3783.jpg

Once both sides was super glued into place, them I started to shape them to match the kitbash part. I then drilled two holes for some brass rod to locate the dual launcher to the pylon. With a straight edge and the back side of a no# 11 blade, I scribed a few panel lines in the dual launcher. With some Medea paint, I gave the part a quick wash to see the panel lines. I then glued two anti-sway braces to the pylon and drilled holes for the rods and super glued them in place. The new C/F boxes looked too plain, so I found a few PE parts that looked cool and white glued them it place. I also added two styrene strips for some raised detail.

IMG_3786.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

IMG_3804.jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

Just held together with some double back tape, here's my new Dual Python 4 launcher with a chaff and flare box added.

IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg

Steven L

Edited by FAR148

Looks phenominal! I have a couple quick questions/criticisms/ideas: First, with the Python launcher being that wide, will it block the next inboard pylon? Second, I love the idea of putting the FLIR in the wheel well fairing. I remember the old "A-10 In Action" book said they wanted to do that for the N/AW 2-seater Hawg. Third, also from the "A-10 in Action" book, they mentioned the side-hinging canopy on the N/AW Hawg, and said they were eventually going to retrofit the single-seat A-10's with side-hinging canopies. Has the thought of doing that crossed your mind? It could be a cool look.

Thanks Kevin,

First, with the Python launcher being that wide, will it block the next inboard pylon?

It's pretty close. But if it looks to be too wide, I will reduce the wide of the spacer.

Second, I love the idea of putting the FLIR in the wheel well fairing. I remember the old "A-10 In Action" book said they wanted to do that for the N/AW 2-seater Hawg

Funny you mention the N/AW 2-seater Hawg, a buddy of mine at work is working on one in 1/48 scale. He got some resin conversion for the monogram kit. On day I brought my hawg to work (show and tell :doh: ) and he too is added targeting to the wheel well fairing. I just added one, he is adding some form of targeting pod to both!

and about the side-hinging canopy...... :beer4:

Thanks for the ideas!

Steven L

steven:

not only do i admire your photography skills (ala fencecheck) but you are a damn fine builder too! this thing rocks! i've greatly enjoyed this thread and look forward to more more MORE!!! can't wait to see that great paint scheme on this beast.

michael

steven:

not only do i admire your photography skills (ala fencecheck) but you are a damn fine builder too! this thing rocks! i've greatly enjoyed this thread and look forward to more more MORE!!! can't wait to see that great paint scheme on this beast.

michael

Thanks michael.

I have been building off and on since I was 7. My "Sandhawg" is my first build in about 5 years. I am trying not to get ahead of myself. Just working on it when I want to and not when I can.

Steven L

Check out my new Calendars!

WOW

I must say "What If's are not my thing BUT I have always wondered about a IAF F-18D done up in a F-15I paint scheam. Now this hog is REAL interesting. I love the twin Pythons and while the targeting pylon looks cool, I think I would go with your orginal idea and put a radome there and put the Litning pod where the Pave Penny goes so then you have two points of interest to look at "But thats just me". With that being said what did you use for the radome cap before you decided on the pod? I know it was a resin part but can you rember what it was from? You have me thinking now about doing one and like I said I don't do "What If's" Thanks for the motivation and for getting to see something differant.

Jim

Edited by Hornet78
With that being said what did you use for the radome cap before you decided on the pod? I know it was a resin part but can you rember what it was from?

Jim,

Some time ago I made a resin copy of the afterburner/flame holder from Hasegawa's 1/48 F-16CJ block 50 kit. The area circled in red is the radome cap.

IMG_3937.jpg

far_iafa10_8.jpg

You have me thinking now about doing one and like I said I don't do "What If's" Thanks for the motivation and for getting to see something differant.

Cool. It makes for a fun build and after a while just correcting kits just is not fun anymore.

Cheers,

Steven L

Now that's an interesting idea.l Does anyone know if the possibilty of a Hawg with a different pod mounted on the Pave-Penny rack has been looked at?

I don't think the Pave Penny pylon could carry the weight of a Litening. Plus they may be clearacne issue for the nose gear doors.

Chappie

I don't think the Pave Penny pylon could carry the weight of a Litening. Plus they may be clearacne issue for the nose gear doors.

Chappie

Bet you could get away with a Harm Targeting System on there though! This is a what-if, after all...

Well since it's a "What if" you could modify/ beef up the pave penny rack to accept the weight of the pod and you cold angle it outwards if need be to clear the nose gear door. If that didn't work you could throw on the ELTA pod thats carried on the IAF Eagle's and move the Litening somewhere else, gawd knows there's plenty of hard points on a hog.

Now here's anohter tid bit to think about. The IAF seams to like to rename all the US planes they buy and seeing how they have an aversion to pork I would assume the "Hog" would be left out of the name Sand hog, so now we would have to come up with another name and Thunderbolt has already been taken in the IAF.

Here's the thing though as i was lying in bed last night I was thinking that there's really not a need for an IAF A-10 since they have the longbow and quite a suficiant tank corp to handle an invasion by tanks. All the other attck missions they go on are done at a high altitude or by the longbow hovering at a high altitude. Still though it makes for an impressive looking attack aircraft done up in the 3 tone camo they carry.

Jim

Well since it's a "What if" you could modify/ beef up the pave penny rack to accept the weight of the pod and you cold angle it outwards if need be to clear the nose gear door

Jim,

I thought about placing a targeting pod of some sort there but it's to close to the gun. The Avenger produces too more vibration to put a laser or any other targeting pod there.

Here's the thing though as i was lying in bed last night I was thinking that there's really not a need for an IAF A-10

I wanted to get people thinking but heaven forbid don't lose sleep over it. It's just a plastic model. But as to if the IAF really needs A-10s, your missing the point. Point is"What if" the IAF for some reason needed A-10s, what would they look like. :cheers:

Cheers,

Steven L