1/48 scale IAF A-10I

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ken,

Painting of my Sandhawg has started. :)

It is slow going, getting use to my new set up. (My old set up is for sell, look HERE if your intrested :whistle: )

I started with one of the hardest things first, the fan blades and the inside of the intake. Heres how I did it. With a pair of caliper I measured the diameter of the inside of the intake as well as the cone at the center of the fan blades. I then transfer those measurement on to a piece of .02 styrene. Making two intake Doughnuts(like Homer, Mmmmm....Intake Doughnuts)

IMG_4727.jpg

I first shot each intake with Testors Burnt Metal Buffing Metalizer, not worry about over spray. I then let dry and buff then seal it. Next, I put the intake Doughnuts in place and shot flat white around the walls of the intake and once dry I pull out the intake Doughnuts.

IMG_4738.jpg

Until next time,

Steven L :thumbsup:

That is a great looking A-10. This is looking better and better every time i pop in here. The work you have doine is so seamless that you its ahrd to tell waht you have changed!!! I can't wait to see this one done. this may have been asked before(maybe by me!!!) but is there any chance you are going to make copies of this and market it as an aftermarket set.im sure you can get alot of interested people.

sean

Thank Pete!

Here's a list of the major changes I have made to my Sandhawg

*Targeting pod added to the landing gear fairing

*Wing and fuselage reinforcement strips

*Wing extension

*2 extra Hardpoint, Total handpoints now is 13

*Scratchbuild/kit bash engines

*Brake parachute housing

*IR jammer

*rescribed panel lines

*Extra chaff/flare boxes under wingtips

*Close the decelerons

that looks great - nice idea on the masks for the fan blades, how did you cut them out?

Ken,

Here's how I made them. First you'll need a few things, a cicrle template, a triangle, a exacto knife with a new no#11 blade, a pair of scissors(not showed) a pen or pencil, a piece .20 of sheet styrene and your favorite sanding tool .Me , I like a sanding stick (rough/med) and sheet sand paper(320 or 400).

IMG_4747.jpg

With my triangle , I drew a cross hair to guide for the two circle. For the Monogram kit, I used 11/32 circle for the inside diameter and 13/16 for the outside diameter.

IMG_4748.jpg

IMG_4750.jpg

Lets start with inner cicrle. With a new and sharp no#11 blade, I pushed the tip of the blade through the center of the cross hair and then slowly begin the twist the blade around in a cicrle. Starting a small hole and slowly carving. Getting larger but, I stop close to the line not going to it.

IMG_4751.jpg

I then wrap a strip of sandpaper around the handle of the exacto and slowly sanded to the line.

IMG_4752.jpg

And for the outside diameter. With a pair of good shape scissors, I cut close to the outside line but not right on. Now with my sanding stick, I can sand right to the line.

IMG_4753.jpg

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

OOOOOH... PAINT. I'm getting excited now. Looking like this one is almost ready to take off.

Jeff,

I know, Me too. It kind of sucks because I have been working late at work and by the time I get home, Im too beat to work on it. But the weekend is all most here!! :woo:

looking great!!!

cant wait to see it painted. its amazing, looking at it like that you wouldnt know your extended the wings. such a great job.

love it!

Richard

Thanks Richard,

Yeah, the wing extensions were a weekend project alone. Look here to see how it was done. http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....t&p=1222070

That is a great looking A-10. This is looking better and better every time i pop in here. The work you have doine is so seamless that you its ahrd to tell waht you have changed!!! I can't wait to see this one done. this may have been asked before(maybe by me!!!) but is there any chance you are going to make copies of this and market it as an aftermarket set.im sure you can get alot of interested people.

Thanks Sean,

You know I thought about it and I have made and cast my own parts, but most of my work is based on some company's kit and I can not and will not try to call it my own. But this project is for me to get back and enjoy the hobby without developing AMS.

And finally ....Now i can enjaoy the painting progress....keep it up....can't wait to see the next process....

Thanks Naza,

I have been watching your progress on your Viggen. Truly amazing work! :worship:

Until next time,

Steven L :wave:

Edited by FAR148