UN General Assembly Visitors

One of the treats of aircraft spotting/photography in the NYC area is the annual influx of visitors for the opening of the UN General Assembly every September. They started coming in on Saturday, and a big group arrived today, with more expected Monday. Here are a few highlights so far...

Cameroon Airlines 767

198949643-L.jpg

Jet Aviation DC-8-72

199523149-L.jpg

Nigerian AF BBJ, with the seal of the president on the tail.

199522744-L.jpg

The big catch of the day for me, Iran Air 747SP carrying Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

199523037-L.jpg

We'll see what Monday brings...

With no offense to anyone . . . the 747SP looks friggin retarded. The DC-8 is beautiful.

2 Things:

1) Funny how he's flying on a Western-made airplane

2) They don't even have a state airplane for the higher ups? Weird . . .

Matt

Hey, I'm not an airliner enthusiast, so I don't know what's an 747SP. It seems a bit stubby at least or am I completely lost..?.
The SP was a version Boeing came up to target large two-market requirements - most notably Japan and the Far East where they're used as city-hoppers that can hold a lotta people at once. The upshot is it had immense range for its era (6600+ nm) and was lighter and faster than its big brother. So they were ideal for VIP transports that needed to get into and out of airports that can't handle the regular size jets.

There weren't that many built, tho. In fact...here's the production list from 747sp.com

Edited by SimFixer
dc8-04.jpg

(Boeing Photo)

Had to post this when I seen it ...

Gregg

Since when did the Tweet need such a big chase plane? Wait...I know...ya need a plane that big to hold all the photogs that want to snap a pic of such a gorgeous li'l jet...right? :worship:

Great shots Moose. Those SPs are goofy looking. I think the UAE leader has an SP also.

Hope you get more goodies today. Hopefully you'll get the Polish President's Tu-154. I shot that airplane at Andrews a few months ago. I don't get to see Russian jet too much.

Chappie

Edited by Steve Filak
The SP was a version Boeing came up to target large two-market requirements - most notably Japan and the Far East where they're used as city-hoppers that can hold a lotta people at once. The upshot is it had immense range for its era (6600+ nm) and was lighter and faster than its big brother. So they were ideal for VIP transports that needed to get into and out of airports that can't handle the regular size jets.

You are confusing the SR with the SP. SR's were designed for high density seating on short routes, particularly in the Asian markets. They look externally identical to 747-200's.

The SP was designed initially to compete with the Lockheed and Douglas Tri-jets as far as seating capacity. It later found its niche as an extra long range transport with a lower seating capacity than the longer 747-200 but better range than the tri-jets. Relatively poor fuel economy and higher maintenance costs are what eventually relegated the type to VIP and specialty service.

This Turkish government A319 and Gulfstream IV are parked at Republic Airport (FRG) on Long Island

199951520-L.jpg

199951632-L.jpg

199951866-L.jpg

Republic was also being used as an entry point into the TFR around NYC. This is one of the helicopters Suffolk County PD screened prior to entering the TFR.

199951346-L.jpg