UN General Assembly Visitors

Moose, how hot was it when you were shooting and what was the approximate range to the aircraft? That last shot has some decent heat distortion.

It was about 80F today (maybe a little warmer) when I was shooting these. The side-on was from a little under a mile away. I'm shooting with a Canon 30D & 100-400mm, the EXIF shows it was at 220mm, and it was not quite a full frame shot. For the last one, AF1 was about 1.25 miles away, and I was at about 360mm on the lens. It's shot across part of Jamaica Bay and some of the nearby marsh land. And I agree, there is a lot of heat haze on that last one.

really nice AF1 shots Moose

Thanks, Ken. I caught her last year when GWB came in for the 9/11 anniversary ceremony, but it was a lousy overcast afternoon. We've had just about perfect weather the past two days, so I'm glad I was able to catch her in such good conditions.

Funny how he's flying on a Western-made airplane

The Iranians don't really have much more options. Of course, that SP is leftover from the days of the Shah. The cooperation with the Russians is relatively recent, which is why you're only seeing Russian airliners in Iranian service recently. And it's not like they can build their own airliner - very few can, even big countries, hence Airbus and EADS.

Edited by Steve Filak

Guys,

Let's get back on track, and talk about the airplanes. There are some great photos in this thread, and I'd really hate to see it get wiped out over political discussions. No more politics, or the thread goes.

Remember, it's Aircraft Resource Center, not Political Resource Center.

Definitely good to see an SP in the air! I've always had a special place in my heart for the SP, since it was the first airplane I flew on back in 1982. It was a Pan Am jet and I'll never forget it! Just wish I had the N number.

Its funny, I was shooting an approach here at Pinal the other day and I looked out to my right and thought to myself "is that an SP over there?" Sure enough the SP website confirmed that N4508 is here! Wish I could get some pics of it, but the secret squirrel types over there aren't too friendly about that kinda thing.

Jon

Moose,

Do you have any problem getting onto the ramp where you shot those Turkish jets? Did you shoot SAM 28000 from the same area as on Monday?

I'm curious, casue it seems with all these heads of state coming in there would be pretty tight secruity on the ramps and apporach areas.

Chappie

Moose,

Do you have any problem getting onto the ramp where you shot those Turkish jets? Did you shoot SAM 28000 from the same area as on Monday?

I'm curious, casue it seems with all these heads of state coming in there would be pretty tight secruity on the ramps and apporach areas.

Chappie

The shots of the Turkish jets at FRG were taken through the fence from the parking lot. There wasn't any special security nearby - they are parked at one of the FBOs on the field. I do know the airport ops guys, and get out on the ramp sometimes, but didn't for those shots.

The first group of shots on Sunday were taken from the parking lot of a shopping center near the final approach path. It's one of our regular spotting locations - a patrol car did stop by, but the two officers didn't even know it was UN week. They have gotten used to us, and just stopped by to say hello (we had about 15 people out spotting that day). AF1 came in Monday, and used a different runway. I was in a public park with a friend for those shots. Not many people around, and I think we were the only ones paying any attention to the arrival. I wouldn't doubt there are extra eyes out there, but they have been doing this at JFK for so long, they have it down to a science.

Just one more from Wednesday (I managed to miss AF1's departure - it's not something I like to talk about :D )

Venezuelan Air Force 737:

200885269-L.jpg

And an "artsy" shot - C-17 departing with some of the various support equipment after AF1 headed for home.

200885089-L.jpg

The entire gallery is at:

http://moose135.smugmug.com/gallery/3547476

Great shots, Moose! I'd love to see more if you've got them, I always find the various Head of State transports to be so interesting, both in variety, age and colour schemes.

One minor point is that the "Venezuelan" 737-200 is actually Bolivian.

2) They don't even have a state airplane for the higher ups? Weird . . .

Matt

It's interesting how various countries approach it - some have dedicated military or government operated aircraft for their head of state. Some share with other high (and low) government officials. Some countries who really can't afford it have new, state of the art airplanes while others have used, older types. And others charter from their home airlines - a good example of this is the UK where the Prime Minister usually flies on a chartered British Airways aircraft although they are apparently looking at buying some dedicated VIP aircraft.

Cheers,

Sean

One minor point is that the "Venezuelan" 737-200 is actually Bolivian.

Actually, no - the official name of the country is the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, in Spanish it's República Bolivariana de Venezuela. That's the Venezuelan coat of arms on the tail - see http://www.fotw.us/flags/ve)coa.html

My apologies! I sit corrected.

And on that note since I learned my one new thing for the day, so I get to go home.

Cheers,

Sean

No problem! My first thought when I saw photos of it was that it was Bolivian also. And it's never a bad day when you learn something new.