Thanks, Moeggo!

Ah, Skyking- you do get the big picture! :) I use Radio Shack's smelly Rosin Flux Remover to clean the parts. When I run out I'll try vinegar- thanks! The Cold Heat tip pulls right out, but I only got one with the set. I haven't looked for replacement tips yet, but maybe I should start... :doh:

upupandaway: 'Preciate it!

TIFON: Thanks, Hermano! I could say the same thing about your fabulous Avenger build. Us Navy Carrier Bomber Builders Unite! :bandhead2:

I got copies of the pilot's manuals for this birdie and now that I know what all these odd little gizmos are I moved on to the pilot's port sidewall. What an amazing conglomeration of controls scattered about the walls and floor! These guys had to be sharp- and flexible- as well as brave and cool in battle. Image reaching for an oddly-placed lever in a screaming dive as flak hammered up at you- WOW! Talk about sheer courage...

The Eduard color PE is very nice, but sometimes the parts let you down a bit- the throttle quadrant has no sides! Gotta take care of that...

Pit_009.jpg

Pit_010.jpg

Pit_011.jpg

Pit_013.jpg

Pit_014.jpg

It's there , it HAS to be there! It's just out of frame. It's not hard to get 4 sq inches clean, these parts have to be REALLY small, remember 1/48th scale.

Which BTW, makes this build all the more incredible! :blink:

chukw :cheers: .........BRAVO ZULU!! B)

Hey, I make a terrible mess every time I sit down at the bench! It's just that I put everything away at the end of the session- Can I help it if I'm a clean freak? :coolio:

Thanks, fellas- much appreciated!

Hola!

This thread is an absolute friggin' riot!.. I love it! Your work is first-rate fantastic, the "how to's" are brilliant, and the humor is good fun too.

Gotta' say it looks like I'm gonna need a tutorial in soldering 101. I've got to solder up the massive Flightpath 48th C-130 flaps..and I'm not looking forward to it. :worship: Learning alot by watching you Chuk, and I appreciate that!

Regards,

Pig

Edited by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann

Stories like this should be features on ARC. Like the ones they do on Kitmaker,s sites. This is one I would like to go back to over and over and over and over again. Did I say over, meant OVER.

Edited by jimz66

Pete "Pig" Fleischmann: Soldering is really not that bad. I lived in mortal terror of ever since my dear old Dad gave me a Weller soldering gun way back when I was, like 12. It felt like it weighed about 12 pounds! I could never get it to work worth a d@mn on anything. :P The new tools available, plus a little life experience have made it do-able. Thanks a bunch!

Raptor Supporter: Thanks, man! I'm too deep in this beeyatch to give up now- keep rooting for me, wouldya? I need all the help I can get! :blink:

Sabre Freak: Granpa who? I GOTTA look that one up... The cartoon guy is actually me, and I'm a spry 48- for a couple more days, anyway. :moai:

jimz66: Thanks- I kinda worry if I'm being too all-encompassing. Some of this coverage may bore the experienced guys, but aim a lot of it at the beginners. Hopefully, there's enough to keep most folks informed- and entertained!

I had the chance to park at my bench yesterday and today several hours. :D I did a lot of little bits here and there- there's so many little sub-assemblies and such... :o

Furnace tape is wonderful stuff- it's like duct tape but made of heavy-guage aluminum foil. I got a roll at Home Depot and have actually used it on the ducting for the dryer, but it made a dandy life raft-

Rear_Pit_38.jpg

It's finally time ti start painting in ernest- whoo-hoo! That means masking and finding ways of holding all the little doo-dads while spraying paint at them.

Painting_001.jpg

Painting_002.jpg

Painting_003.jpg

Painting_004.jpg

Wow! A little paint makes a HUGE difference!

Painting_005.jpg

If you've never done any post-shading before, here's a little how-to info.

Painting_006.jpg

Painting_007.jpg

Painting_008.jpg

Painting_009.jpg

Thanks so much, fellas!

The last thing I did after painting was to give the green ares a good coat of Future floor wax. Sprayed without dilution at about 8 psi, it provided an armor plate against the oil wash I'll detail now.

To help emphasize detail and break up the monotone of the base color I applied a wash of dark, brown-green oil paint. My oils are from student days in the dim recesses of the last century- they'll last a long time in their tubes! Be wary of using straight turpentine- it'll eat through all your paint coats!

Painting_014.jpg

Painting_015.jpg

Painting_016.jpg

Painting_017.jpg

Painting_018.jpg

Painting_019.jpg

Painting_020.jpg

Painting_021.jpg

Painting_023.jpg

Painting_022.jpg

Next: a matte coat and drybrushing- don't touch that dial!

Thanks, Blackcollar- when you move as slowly as I do, something like a coat of paint makes it all seem so... different!.

I've been hammering away at the interior- there's just so much of it in there! My flat coat, btw, is Humbrol Matt Cote.

Painting_024.jpg

Painting_025.jpg

Painting_026.jpg

Painting_027.jpg

Painting_028.jpg

Painting_029.jpg

Painting_035.jpg

Painting_030.jpg

Painting_031.jpg

Painting_032.jpg