Airbus doing crazy things

That is just frickin' stupid!!! It would be alright if the crowds and the other a/c weren't sitting next to the runway!!! When I saw this video, it made me think of the one where the Piper Cub hit the news reporter on the head with his wing!!! Granted, it was the news reporter fault for being too close to the drop point!!! (If I remember right, they were dropping flour bombs!!! :soapbox: ) Still, pretty good flying by the airliner!!!

Jason

:angry: Unless things have changed since 1988, I don't think the CEO of TAP would give a hoot about this display. At the Bicentennial Airshow at Richmond in '88 each day a QANTAS 747 on a regular passenger fare paying flight to England did a very low flypast down the middle of the runway, lower than this A310 was flying, and with the undercarriage retracted. this was all done with the full blessing of the QANTAS honchos.

:cheers:,

Ross.

That was extremely irresponsible, to say the least. Either the high speed, low altitude flyby or the low altitude turn could have had a horrific ending, and could have claimed hundreds of lives, especially given the proximity of the plane to the spectators.

:angry: Hello Steve,

I'm not sure which display you're referring to here; the TAP display or the QANTAS display almost 20 years ago or both. The aircraft that we saw were nowhere near any crowds. There were not that many people there at that time in the morning. Also I guess I didn't say that aircraft were not banked like that A310. They were just flown down the runway very low and fast and then pulled up gently into a gradual climb. At that time in the morning there is little if any wind at Richmond and during that whole week we were blessed with beautiful fine, calm weather, with a little wind coming up after about 1 pm.

The Australian press were there at that time each day and I'm sure that if they thought there was anything wrong with what they saw they would have let QANTAS know about it in no uncertain terms. The fact that they didn't raise an eyebrow to me and in fact thought that it was great to see such a display means they had every confidence in the captains' skills and experience and the aircraft servicing staff. Another factor is there were no light aircraft lined up along the edges of the runway like at the Portugese airshow. Also, between the runway and where any aircraft were parked was a taxiway and several hundred feet of buffer area so in actual fact there was no more risk than at a crowded airshow with crowds close to the runway line.

At the Avalon Airshow in 2005 I was closer to the active runway in my seat in the stand than any aircraft or people were to the QANTAS flyby. At the Avalon airshow there was no taxiway, it had been taken over as a static parking area, so all the crowd were positioned on the grass between the runway and taxiway and there were regular Jet Star flights into and out of Avalon during the entire airshow. There was just about 20 or 30 metres of grass between the runway and the crowd who weren't in the stands.

:cheers:,

Ross.

I've got mixed feelings about this as I am a pilot (just a PPL though). Indeed if this was planned and practiced many times before being performed, then my hats off to the flight crew for doing it. But, they left NO MARGIN for error at all practically. A slight miscalculation of the bank angle, or a slight crosswind at the most inconvenient time would have potentially blown that wing right into the ground for a case of captain cartwheel. The high speed, low altitude pass would potentially have been bad as well if windshear hit or typical mid afternoon turbulence. So somebody really would need to have been watching the weather on the ground to make sure nothing could have upset the aircraft during these manuevers. At least they were using an older model Airbus without a FBW system onboard as that would have kept the pilots from doing these manuevers.

Hmm- looks like someones been watching my display flying on Flightsim!!

Although there's a lot of tut-tutting in response to this A310 display, one assumes that the pilots were in full control and knew exactly what they were doing.

Okay, the turn was close, but the speed wasn't high and as far as being low, well, you have to realize that most airliners do that a couple of times a day, but in the business they are termed 'take-off' and 'landing'. Sometimes, believe it or not, they even do it with a crosswind component.

Yeah, really. :)

Ross,

I was talking about the TAP display.

Steve,

That was the last flight of that TAP Airbus A-310(CS-TEI).

Pilot was Capt. César Brito, no less than the TAP Airbus A310 fleet Chief Pilot...he has over 4.000 hours on the A310.

While I agree it was a monumental error in judgment to perform those manuevers so close to the crowd the PIC obviously has more than enough time in type, qualifications and some mighty big "stones" to boot. You'd never see this in the US, however.

Jeff

Sounds alot like the the commenst about the guy that was doing all the low pass and the low leve high angel banks in the B-52 years ago, he ended killing himself and his crew...

Oh yeah; Lt Col Arthur Holland. And

HollandB-52Yakima.jpg

Hopefully this Airbus driver isn't as foolish as Bud was.

Edited by Trigger
Steve,

That was the last flight of that TAP Airbus A-310(CS-TEI).

Pilot was Capt. César Brito, no less than the TAP Airbus A310 fleet Chief Pilot...he has over 4.000 hours on the A310.

While I agree it was a monumental error in judgment to perform those manuevers so close to the crowd the PIC obviously has more than enough time in type, qualifications and some mighty big "stones" to boot. You'd never see this in the US, however.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I'll bet most of those 4000+ hours were spent sitting in cruise, and the rest doing normal take offs and landings, not doing hot dog junk like he did at the air show. I've got about 3000 hours in a CRJ. It sure doesn't qualfy me to do stupid stunts like that in the airplane. Unfortunately, when guys like that rightfully take themselves out of the gene pool, they usually take a bunch of innocents with them.

Ben

I'll bet most of those 4000+ hours were spent sitting in cruise, and the rest doing normal take offs and landings, not doing hot dog junk like he did at the air show.

Did I miss something in those 4 video clips? What 'hot-dog junk'? A couple of low passes, a turn that looked very low indeed but don't forget camera and horizon levels, and a bit of gentle rudder / aileron work. He didn't roll it, do a knife-edge pass, stall-turn, loop or tail-slide! It didn't look like a vast crowd either - are you sure this was a public crowd-line?

Oh yeah, let's not assume we know what the pilot has done with 4000hours then wish him dead, huh?