Matador!

Hi mates,

Time to introduce my entry to this GB.

Im building a "Matador", a 8 Escuadrilla´s Spanish Navy Harrier received during the seventies. As early Spanish Harriers from first batch, I will not include the RWR and other ECM devices.

01sy1.jpg

The kit is the oldie but nice ESCI AV-8A. Despite this mould had 20 years old, the ESCI Harrier family is the most accurate, beating Hasegawa, Fujimi and Airfix releases.

00nq9.jpg

Smooth engraved panel lines and a respectable in details, the kit is almost perfect. The only disadvantages are a sparse cockpit, and inaccurate decals and AIM-9 for the Spanish version.

01bts2.jpg

So I started adding some details in the cockpit (not to much, I will close the canopy) and turning the strange ejector seat into a Stencel type. I cut and opened the auxiliary air intakes. The front wheel leg was cutted to decrease the angle when the aircraft is on ground.

Several pieces were glued and sanded to be ready for next stages in the build progress.

I will use some extras... a refuelling prove from ESCI GR3, a pair of AIM-9J from Hasegawa weapons set and decals from other sheets and custom made by myself.

02no2.jpg

Well... time to continue this model.

Cya.

G'day,

I'm looking forward to see how the Esci Harrier builds up, as I have a couple in my stash.

I'm also glad to see someone else in here, it was getting a little lonely!

Pappy

By chance, Im looking foward to see how your Italeri Wessex builds up. I have three in my stash.

This will be my first Harrier family subject, I have a GR3 and a FRS1, both ESCI too.

You are not walk alone Pappy!

Cya

Some progress in my Matador

Several improvements to the fine ESCI kit.

Add some details with styrene and wire in the cockpit. I will close the canopy so I didnt work too much in the pilot´s office.

03oe7.jpg

The basic seat included in the kit was transformed in a Stencel one, used by Spanish first batch AV-8s.

04ve9.jpg

Then I opened the auxiliary intakes and add the shutters did with plasticard.

07cv9.jpg

The outriggers legs had an inacuratte extra arm, so must to cut it.

05hp8.jpg

Finally, I found in my decals files a sheet very usefull to replace those ESCI wrong roundels.

06cq7.jpg

And Im drawing some extra custom decals to print soon.

08yv4.jpg

Cya!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! More progress during past days.

Before close the cockpit, I add a half circle shaped styrene to close the rear cockpit zone, and place the seat and the gunsight.

09og2.jpg

Inside the fuselage I painted the engine blades and main intakes. All pieces fits ok, but the wing and the fuselage join zone shows some big gaps.

10gb5.jpg

Easily filled and sanded with Tamiya putty.

11xr1.jpg

Before painting it, I add some exterior details as formation lights, cockpit intakes, etc.

At this moment this bird is preshaded and ready to paintjob!

Cya!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mates!

Time to show my progress on this bird.

After the preshading with Extra Dark Sea Gray, I painted the whole model with Gull Gray + White (90%/10%) for upper surfaces and White for the lower. The only other colours I used were Medium Gray for some panels in ventral rear fin and Aluminium for wheel and airbrake bays.

11pz4.jpg

All remaining pieces also were painted with Gull Gray and White, Light Gray for undercarriage, Medium Gray for the missile launchers, Blue for the dummies Sidewinders, Black for the tires and Gun Metal for rear engine exhausts.

All paintwork was did using the airbrush, masking, painting, masking again and more painting. Im really bored at this stage, so next days... time to have fun using those old loved brushes to add more details.

Last week I printed my own custom decals, and finally I choosed other Matador subject (my first choise was the 01-814), the 01-805. I seized the opportunity to print my custom decals for other future projects.

10wy9.jpg

Finally, I add formation light panels, painted in White.

Sorry about today´s poor quality picts. Im really hurry to finish this model!

Cya!

• 2 weeks later...

A decal´s nightmare.

Hi mates,

Some progress at the final stage of this build.

After brush paint the small pieces and give the model some Future coats, was time to apply the decals.

12ma5.jpg

The ESCI kit decal sheet shows its age. I exposed them under the sunlight during a couple of weeks to remove the yellowish colour and it works pretty well. But the troubles started when I try to apply them. No glue, no stick and no adjust to round aircraft shapes. Micro Set solution was very useful to fix them, but Micro Sol didnt work and made some decals unusuable. Fortunately I had the decal sheet from both ESCI Harrier GR3 and SHAR and I used them (mostly stencils) as replace for those destroyed during the decalling process.

The ICM I-15 Spanish roundels and my custom decals works without any problem and give me a moment to relax and breathe again!

During next week I will apply some paint details, Future coat, glue undercarriage, aerials and refuelling probe, washes, satin barnish and..... finish it!

Cya.

• 3 weeks later...

Crossing the finishing line

Hi mates!

Ok, here is the Matador finished. Last touches were a light wash, glue the aerials, pitot, probe, airbrake, external load and undercarriage. A special attention must be payed to align carefully the 5 wheels trying to avoid see the Harrier "dancing" in two or three legs. The trick: glue the front wheel first and then the outriggers, all aligned. Then test fit the main ventral wheel modifying the leg´s height to place it.

13wq6.jpg

14tk0.jpg

More and better pictures in completed builds section.

Thanks to Group Build`s organizers and hope to see all you again in other enjoyable projects!

Happy New Year.

Cya.

Edited by El pibe vitina