Painting the canopy on the inside

Alittle cheat, you may wish to consider.

When you mask the canopy externally when paiting the aircraft, first spray/brush on the interior colour of the canopy frame on the exterior frame. Then simply paint over with the exterior aircraft colour.

Thats what I do atleast, its not perfect but it works well enough for me.

HTH

- Joe

Depends on whether the canopy is going to be displayed open or closed. If closed, simpy painting the interior color first on the outside before the exterior colors (So its the first layer on the canopy) usually is sufficient to provide the effect of the interior colors when viewed through the closed canopy.

If to be displayed open, then the dilemma is how to replicate the frames. I would probably go about it the same as the exterior. Mask off the frames and then paint. Might be easier to mask the outside first to give you some guidelines to work with. I've also heard of painting decal sheet and using them as the frames. I suppose if you want to get ********, then frames can be cut from thin strips of plastic and applied.

Unless you are using a vac canopy, you are stuck with painting the interior color on the outside. Painting the interior color on the inside on an injected canopy will look very odd because of the layer of clear plastic between the inside and outside colors.

I realized I needed to paint the interior color Black on the inside for My Hornet, so WHat I did was actually with a brush (and some patience) marked the inside of it....

No problems at all, but I think I've learned my Lesson :lol: :cheers: hahah

Take Care

Here's what I do,

I never mask the inside unless I have too, but the best way to replicate frames with a canopy open is to do the usual thing on the canopy outside, ie mask, interior colour, final colour....

Un-mask the canopy then carefully hand paint the inside frame area with the flat coat of your choice.

Looks good and the flat frame area gives the illusion of raised framing :cheers:

:lol:

MikeJ

Thanks for the tips! I never painted the interior canopy if I closed it, but when I open them, I always do. I haven't thought of first applying the interior colour and then overspraying it... And that way with the flat coat on the inside is great too...

:thumbsup: