Back to toned down markings again ....?

Hi Phantom phoenix , VF-1 never flew the F-4 , they stood up as a New Tomcat squadron in October 1972 , just like VF-2 .

Cheers , Henk

In a word "ddaaaaaaaammmnnnnn"; what a vehicle to start out in :doh: , I was curious because in all the years I had not seen a pic. The others had a lineage from as far back as WWII in some cases, such as the "Jolly Rogers" Oh well it'll make a good what if.

You know might look nice on that VFA-2 jet? The Bounty Hunter's markings from the '80s with the skull and small diagonal Langley stripe with two starts below it. That would fit the tail of the Super Hornet much better than trying to squeeze the Tomcat style markings in a small space.

While on the subject, when did VFA-103's modex change to the 200-range? I can't imagine that not having a "103" bird is sitting right with them...

Cheers,

Andre

Yeah, they had to change thier modex numbers when they were re-assigned to CVW-7.

Hi Phantom phoenix , VF-1 never flew the F-4 , they stood up as a New Tomcat squadron in October 1972 , just like VF-2 .

Cheers , Henk

Um...huh? VF-2 a new squadron?

VF-2 was first commisioned in 1922

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-squadron-vf002.htm

I tell you what I miss. I miss the old VF-111 Sundowners with the sunburst. They looked great on Phantoms and even better on Tomcats.

Edited by paul.nortness

I tell you what I miss. I miss the old VF-111 Sundowners with the sunburst. They looked great on Phantoms and even better on Tomcats.

I guess that he came to that conclusion beacause VF-2 was deactivated for over 20 years:

At the end of WWII, VF-2 was disestablished, and remained absent from Naval Aviation for 27 years until it was selected to introduce the F-14 Tomcat to the fleet. Reestablished at NAS Miramar 14 October 1972 the squadron completed crew training and received it's first F-14s in July 1973. Full squadron strength of 12 aircraft was reached in spring 1974 since Tomcat production was still running at a fairly low rate.
VF-111 is now VFC-111 based out of NAS Key West flying F-5's, with the sunbust on the tail. Resident ARC'er (and all around good guy) Fuji visited them earlier this year and I believe posted some shots of their jets here on ARC.

Actually, VF-111 was disestablished in 1995 with the F-14A, VFC-111 used to be VFC-13, det. Key West.

That's what I meant , VF-2 as a new Tomcat squadron .

Here is a photo of The only F-5F of VFC-111 , toned down.........??

VFC-111sF-5FAF-100.jpg

Photo by Henk van der Lugt NAS Fallon

VFC-111 SunDowners 4ever .................Henk

Edited by sundowner
You know might look nice on that VFA-2 jet? The Bounty Hunter's markings from the '80s with the skull and small diagonal Langley stripe with two starts below it. That would fit the tail of the Super Hornet much better than trying to squeeze the Tomcat style markings in a small space.

You speak of these right Darren ?

f14-photo-vf002-41l.jpg

They could work on the Rhino, has it all right there in the tail logo, two stars, stripes, skull ...

Gregg

To be a bit obsessive...okay.... a lot obsessive ;) , the current VFA-2 has no official lineage to the VF-2 that dated back to the 30's. While they did carry the Langley stripes, VF-2 was stood using personell from VF-162 Hunters. Superheat (an ARCer) was part of -162 and told related the story that VF-2 almost got -162 markings. Someone (I can't remember if it was actually him or not) showed the skipper some artwork of a combination of -162 markings and the red/white/blue Langley stripes from the original era. He liked the combo, so that's what went on the plane. The squadron patch is the original squadrons, but the two stars with blue rudder reflect the black rudder/yellow stars that adorned -162 Crusaders. I think the Tomcat would have looked sharp in -162 markings.