Airbrushing results - Help please

Whoops. Never showed you's the body of the plane!

The little paint peel marks on the wing is becuase I masked it with painting tape - a little strong.

Question: Ummm Tie Dyed? Can anyone tell me why that happened? I have no clue to why it turned out tie dyed. It's obviously somthing I did wrong, but what? And do you guys have any tips on how to paint the bodies? After a while, something that big, gets messy, and confusing.

Thanks!

Pic 10: Another shot of the regulator. Can you make out the arrow? Well tha inlet piece (far right while looking at it how it is. The attachment without the teflon.) is what makes the regulator "spin" 360 degrees. I have to push that in and up, in order for the hand on the regulator to go "up". It'll only reach to 20psi. Then when I spray, go to 0psi, but I don't feel a pressure change on my hand. So I took it off and sprayed the body of my plane with it off, as well as the red on the wings.

Hi John ,sorry but I can`t make heads or tail of the regulator. I`m just not sure what the knob that the arrow points to is for. The other knob is what you turn to increase or decrease the pressure right ? I take it that came off the actual compressor (stock regulator) did it not. I can only suggest you check out the instructions that came with the unit. What I did was add another reg. after my moisture trap,next to my spray booth ,that way I can do all my fine controlling within arms reach.

If you would like ,contact me off board and give me your E-mail and I`ll send you some pics. of what I have going in my shop ,and even a bonus in progress shot of some jets.

Take care

Paul T

The arrow is telling you the direction of the airflow.

That threaded piece that you say "spins" is what you connect the male end of the airhose to. The other end with the Teflon tape should connect to the compressor outlet.

Have you been hooking it up backwards? :thumbsup:

Mike

That threaded piece that you say "spins" is what you connect the male end of the airhose to. The other end with the Teflon tape should connect to the compressor outlet.

Have you been hooking it up backwards? :wave:

Mike

Doh!!! Are you serious!?!

LOL.

Hmm. Then I'll have to get a different adapter won't I. I'm going to take shots of my compressor.

Please let me know.

Paul - The regulator came with now instructions. E-mail to you is on the way!

Thanks Mike. I figured I just painted it unevenly, but WOH! It sure is hard to get it right. Something that big . . . wow. I'm going to have to practice more!

Another quick question. How long should I let it fry in between coats?

Thanks. Be back soon with pics!

John

Another part of the instructions.

Thanks for helping me out guys. If I am hooking it up wrong. I'd appreciate it if you know what connectors I'd need. I bought this regulator seperate at lowes.

Thanks again.

John

Should be a standard 1/4" coupling on both ends, but yeah, you'll need a female/female coupler to join the male end off the compressor to the male end of the regulator. Also note, the instructions are fairly clear as to which end goes on the compressor and which end feeds to the spray gun. :wave:

You may also need a male/male coupler or male/female coupler to attach your airbrush on the other end (can't be bothered to re-check your pics :P ). Again, it'll probably be 1/4".

Regarding the paint, reds and blues both tend to be very transluscent colours. Ditto yellow, white, day-glo and some oranges. As a result, you'll a.) need EVEN coverage to avoid blotchy finishes and b.) need to spray several coats over a light gray/white primer for maximum vividness, as the base colour will show through. For most military-type colours, grays, browns, greens and the like, coverage is much better, so you won't see patches with more and less colour.

And finally, probably not a good idea to spray on carpet. That's just asking for trouble. :lol:

Rofl Mickey.

So I'm going to need a female/female coupler for attaching the regulator to the compressor. Then a male/female coupler for attaching the air hose to the regulator.

Thanks for the help.

John

You will need one of these:

M1356.jpg

(more or less; a female/female coupler, named for obvious reasons)

To join the regulator to the compressor, per THIS picture. If you can find a female/female elbow (sort of like this, but with female fittings on both ends, not a female and male fitting), you'll be able to mount the regulator vertically, as it looks like it's meant to be mounted. This may also have an effect on how well it works.

You will also need one of these:

M1357.jpg

(again, more or less, a male/male coupler, again, the naming protocol should be obvious)

To join the regulator out to your air hose.

Thanks a million my friend.

I'm shooting to lowes by this weekend.

On an O/T note - Do you have any models in ARCs gallery, or in any gallery at all? I don't think I've ever seen one of your built birds. Just curious. Eait, I saw one. I believe an F-16. It looked VERY nice. Do you have any others?

Thanks again. I'll post my 2nd attpempt at airbrushing results, well when I try again - hehe.

John

Guest Blackhorse

Have you been hooking it up backwards?  ;)

Mike

Doh!!! Are you serious!?!

LOL.

Hmm. Then I'll have to get a different adapter won't I. I'm going to take shots of my compressor.

Please let me know.

Paul - The regulator came with now instructions. E-mail to you is on the way!

Thanks Mike. I figured I just painted it unevenly, but WOH! It sure is hard to get it right. Something that big . . . wow. I'm going to have to practice more!

Another quick question. How long should I let it fry in between coats?

Thanks. Be back soon with pics!

John

I believe that regulator is made to fit right at the spray gun like you use to paint a car. That has something to do with the pressure dropping when you depress the trigger of your airbrush. You need to get a standard line regulator, an automotive parts store that deals a lot with auto body shops should have what you need.

Yep. I was right. :lol:

That arrow on the regulator was what gave it away for me.

I think the help you were given by "Mickey Fickey" will get you up and spraying in no time. ;)

If you go to Lowe's then buy your brass fittings in the plumbing section as they are cheaper than the ones in the tool section where the air compressors are. Isn't it funny how they do that? ;)

One other note:

In that photo where your dad is holding it, does the fitting coming out of the water seperator unscrew from the body of the water seperator? If it does then you can screw the male end of that regulator right into that same hole and save you the cost of buying that female to female fitting.

Mike