Revell 1/72 Typhoon single seater

For the first time in ages, my budget was big enough to allow a kit or two, and wonder of wonders I managed to find a pair of Revell's Typhoon single seaters for about the cost of a single Hasegawa Super Hornet or Tomcat. Very nice.

Having read previous reviews and with two twin-seaters under my belt, I had a good idea what to expect from the kit - and if there's anything I can find to be disappointed about, it's that Revell still hasn't included the hardpoints for stations 2, 4, 8 and 10. A situation which is actually very curious, seeing as there are mounting holes for these hardpoints molded on the inside of the wings.

As usual for Revell of late, the decal sheet is spectacular, although a thorough examination yields some minor bugs such as "CATM-120B" stencils in combination with yellow/brown stripes - of course, this is not exactly a unique occurrence, and the text is small enough that it has to be pointed out for people to notice. In other words, who cares?

The kit comes with enough weapons to fully arm two Typhoons, with missiles left over - and this is not an exaggeration. In fact, you'll most likely have a fuel tank left over as well - useful if you want to build a second Typhoon with a long-range loadout, since the kit only comes with two tanks but the plane can carry three. Full stencils for everything is included, except the Meteor missiles (which do get stripes, though), and in different languages for different versions of the aircraft. (Look for a photo of a finished missile some time next year or so...)

Where the kit fails, though, is as usual in the painting instructions - paint mixing is decidedly not my thing. I've actually got most of the colors needed already from my last pair of jets, so it's not such a big deal. It has, however, given me an idea...

Would there be any interest, or problems, with setting up a site hosting "translations" for Revell color mixes - not only straight tables listing the closest equivalents in commonly available brands or standard numbers, but replacement color guide pages for specific kits and the like? Since most of the mixes used in Revell instructions are pretty common, it seems to me that once the grunt work is done, such translations could even be user-submitted. All you'd have to do is find the correct guide, print it out, and use it instead of the one included in the kit...

Now, all that's left to do (aside from building, painting and decalling these birds) is to figure out where to use the leftover weapons. There's so much in this kit that I can't get anywhere else, or only in inferior versions...

SP

Revell paint conversion has been abit of an issue for myself as well especially with some of their crazy mixtures! I`ve tryed finding conversion tables in the past online but some do conflict with each other which doesn`t help either.

As far as the Typhoon goes i`m lucky enough to have a lovely hoard of pics of them with alsorts of payloads to refer to. One of the many joys of living near BAE Warton :blink:

Lucky you - my chances of seeing a Typhoon live are pretty much nil for the forseeable future, since I can't get away to Germany (closest user) to look at them. (And I'm likely to discover they've visited the week after they go home, with my lack of attention to media).

Pics, you say? Gimme! Seriously, I need a couple of key pieces of information - the most pressing being the color of operational Storm Shadow missiles, and TAURUS if you can swing it. I don't trust the Revell instructions one bit on that score...

I'm toying with the idea right now of getting one of Italeri's 1/72 prototype kits - which came with a full set of hardpoints - and using pieces of it as guides to scratchbuilding more appropriate items for the Revell kit.

Another idea that springs to mind from that would be to build a Revell kit in one of the DA schemes - how hard would it be to backdate the airframe? I imagine I'd have to swipe some RB-199 exhausts from a Tornado to build DA1 or DA2, but in general I get the idea that backdating the Revell kit would be a lot easier to do than updating/correcting the Italeri version...

Cheers,

SP

I`ve got the Italeri 48th Typhoon DA2 and its got too many exhausts on the underside and a few panels would have to deleted from the kit as well to make it DA aircraft as they were up until retirement.

As far as storm shadow goes Typhoon hasn`t even tested it yet and prob won`t for awhile yet but i`ve got pics of a Saudi Tornado carrying it. Payload wise all that Typhoon has carried to date is Paveways, Litening, Sidewinder, AMRAAM, Meteor and tanks (thats from memory). Also a few are now being delivered with the fin fix and FLIR (RAF jets this is). By all means if you need pictures of particular angles on Typhoon then i`d be more than happy to forward a few to you for reference.

I`ve got the Italeri 48th Typhoon DA2 and its got too many exhausts on the underside and a few panels would have to deleted from the kit as well to make it DA aircraft as they were up until retirement.

As far as storm shadow goes Typhoon hasn`t even tested it yet and prob won`t for awhile yet but i`ve got pics of a Saudi Tornado carrying it. Payload wise all that Typhoon has carried to date is Paveways, Litening, Sidewinder, AMRAAM, Meteor and tanks (thats from memory). Also a few are now being delivered with the fin fix and FLIR (RAF jets this is). By all means if you need pictures of particular angles on Typhoon then i`d be more than happy to forward a few to you for reference.

The RAF Typhoons have been loaded with both Brimstone and Storm Shadow on the ground, but AFAIK they haven't flown them yet. To add to your weapons list, the RAF Typhoons have also carried ASRAAM, unguided bombs and (I believe) a SNIPER pod on at least one occasion. Production jets for the RAF do not carry Sidewinders.

As for paints, I've done some digging and found a list of the FS numbers for all the different colours on the RAF Typhoons. These were taken off of the paint tins in the stores at BAE, so I don't want anyone telling me they are incorrect! I only know what a couple of them are used for, so apologies for that missing info, but hopefully this will help people get the right colours:

36231 - This is used on the aircraft's exterior - not sure where

26492 - This is the main grey colour for the RAF Typhoons

17875 (White)

37875 (White)

I don't think I've missed any, but there may be some that didn't have FS numbers on the labels. Hope this is useful...

I've seen shots of the devolpment airframes carrying six UK Paveway II bombs + targeting pod, as well - my pod-fu is weak, so I couldn't say which type, except not Sniper.

As far as I can tell, the only operational RAF load at the moment is four ASRAAM, four AMRAAM and two tanks for the air defense mission; or two tanks and a live-seeker ASRAAM on the outboard rails fór training. (A big non-thankyou to Revell, again, for not including the station 2/10 rails...which are prominently displayed in all the recent photos.)

Thanks for the color list, Bobski, it's much appreciated. I'll see if I can manage to pin down some Humbrol equivalents...

SP

Just two images i`ve managed to quickly find.

This is the first Brtish single seat Typhoon F2 ZJ910/BS001. Seen on a test flight from BAE Warton carrying Sidewinders.

http://www.ukarimages.com/is.php?i=17155&img=910.1.jpg

This second image is of Typhoon T1 ZJ699/IPA1. Seen here again at BAE Warton carrying 4 Paveways, 2 dumby missiles and 3 tanks (centreline i believe is a camera).

http://www.ukarimages.com/is.php?i=20842&a...g=Full_load.jpg

I've seen shots of the devolpment airframes carrying six UK Paveway II bombs + targeting pod, as well - my pod-fu is weak, so I couldn't say which type, except not Sniper.

As far as I can tell, the only operational RAF load at the moment is four ASRAAM, four AMRAAM and two tanks for the air defense mission; or two tanks and a live-seeker ASRAAM on the outboard rails fór training. (A big non-thankyou to Revell, again, for not including the station 2/10 rails...which are prominently displayed in all the recent photos.)

Thanks for the color list, Bobski, it's much appreciated. I'll see if I can manage to pin down some Humbrol equivalents...

SP

There was a test flight from Warton recently that had IPA 4 loaded up with 6x Paveway IIs and a LITENING II pod. The Sniper I believe has been loaded and flown once, although I don't know when. Certainly its not going to be integrated before tranche 2 and I expect we'll see IPA 6 fly with it.

I think the Italeri kit features all the pylons, if one can track it down. I'm considering scratch-building a pair of AMRAAM pylons using a spare pair of LAU-128s as a basis. Won't be completely accurate, but better than nowt.

I've had a look at paint equivalents and its a pain in the butt. I know that the Revell instructions for the RAF aircraft (at least in 1/48) are incorrect. FS 26492 seems to be somewhere between Hu 165 and Hu 167 (but it isn't 166). I'd probably go with 165 if you don't want to mix paint...

There was a test flight from Warton recently that had IPA 4 loaded up with 6x Paveway IIs and a LITENING II pod. The Sniper I believe has been loaded and flown once, although I don't know when. Certainly its not going to be integrated before tranche 2 and I expect we'll see IPA 6 fly with it.

I think the Italeri kit features all the pylons, if one can track it down. I'm considering scratch-building a pair of AMRAAM pylons using a spare pair of LAU-128s as a basis. Won't be completely accurate, but better than nowt.

I've had a look at paint equivalents and its a pain in the butt. I know that the Revell instructions for the RAF aircraft (at least in 1/48) are incorrect. FS 26492 seems to be somewhere between Hu 165 and Hu 167 (but it isn't 166). I'd probably go with 165 if you don't want to mix paint...

Is any one planning on making some resin hardpoints for stations 2, 4, 8 and 10? :worship:

Hi again,

The pic below is a pair of inert Storm Shadows on a Tornado GR4 at Marham families day a few months ago which may help (it was rather wet!). I'm guessing the shade looks like the same as the Tornado fuselage.

IMG_4343.jpg

Although my QRA pics have been on a thread before I didn't see the harm in putting on a couple of shots that haven't been seen yet. As you can see 4x AIM120A/Bs (jet has supposedly tested AIM120Cs and the MoD indicated they would be issued as standard but certainly not yet) and 4x ASRAAMs with wing tanks looks the normal so far seen on the pics available.

IMG_8246.jpg

IMG_8231.jpg

There seems to be two standard training configurations. the earlier jets still carry the centreline only, with just the outboard rails with ASRAAM one side and the ACMI pod thingie on the the other side. No other pylons are fitted. Example below (missing the ACMI pod).

IMG_8493.jpg

The later deliveries have arrived with wing tanks fitted and have stayed that way - they've also gradually acquired the next pylon inboard of the ASRAAM rail as well. Although it's a educated guess on my part I've only seen one jet that has changed from the centreline to wing tanks after delivery (ZJ814/QO-Z, the 3 Sqn, two-seater) so I think it's likely that, at the moment they stay in the configuration they are delivered. All the pics of Typhoons on QRA duty so far that I've seen have all come from the later, twin-tank batch. I suppose it could just be chance but I don't think so although why, I've no idea. The first block 5, ZJ930/AA was seen last week testing the 6x Paveway configuration that the Warton birds have flown.

Hope that's some help and if anybody want's pics of specific airframes, I've got most of the RAF jets at some point so can probably help.

Gary

Edited by gary1701

I have an original Revell "Eurofighter Typhoon double seater" from 2001,and included on the sprues are

a couple of pylons that match the holes at the inboard leading edge of the wing.However,the instructions state "parts not used".I cant say how acurate they are though.

I just noticed this while looking at my kit decal sheet - the only RAF squadron on the sheet which has different decals for each side of the tailfin is No 11 - the others have two of the same decal. I'll have to see if I can find my old T.1 sheet, and check out if there's any difference...

As far as bummers go, that's kind of major, right?

SP

The RAF Typhoons have been loaded with both Brimstone and Storm Shadow on the ground, but AFAIK they haven't flown them yet. To add to your weapons list, the RAF Typhoons have also carried ASRAAM, unguided bombs and (I believe) a SNIPER pod on at least one occasion. Production jets for the RAF do not carry Sidewinders.

As for paints, I've done some digging and found a list of the FS numbers for all the different colours on the RAF Typhoons. These were taken off of the paint tins in the stores at BAE, so I don't want anyone telling me they are incorrect! I only know what a couple of them are used for, so apologies for that missing info, but hopefully this will help people get the right colours:

36231 - This is used on the aircraft's exterior - not sure where

26492 - This is the main grey colour for the RAF Typhoons

17875 (White)

37875 (White)

I don't think I've missed any, but there may be some that didn't have FS numbers on the labels. Hope this is useful...

Interesting that the paints are in the FS-range and not BS381c/BS4800.

:coolio:

Update on the decals (maybe old news, but I hadn't noticed before...)

I've checked the decal sheets for the T.1 version as well, and frankly I hope some people at Revell are embarrassed - because they really should be.

The German decals on either sheet look OK - mirror-imaged squadron badges for all squadrons involved, including a pair of low-vis badges on the twin-seater. So far so good...

The RAF decals are in a much sadder state - except for the no 11 squadron badges, which were mirror images, all of them are in identical pairs - which they're not supposed to be, except on two jets which has them that way by mistake... (and I don't think those are among the options for the kit!)

The Spanish Air Force has mirror-imaged decals (two different bulls, and a badge with three birds diving) on the twin-seater sheet, and identical paired badges (one type of bull, and the three-bird badge) on the single-seater sheet. One is probably wrong, and I'm kind of guessing it's the latter. I'll have to see if I can find some pics at Airliners.net...

Italy is a newcomer on the single-seat sheet, and has mirror-imaged badges. And the Austrian decals consist solely of an alphanumeric designator and national insignia, so they're pretty silly to worry about...

At any rate, it looks like my RAF machine will, by necessity, be a No 11 bird, if I want to do it OOB and look accurate. Now to choose between Italy and Germany....

Update on the decals (maybe old news, but I hadn't noticed before...)

The RAF decals are in a much sadder state - except for the no 11 squadron badges, which were mirror images, all of them are in identical pairs - which they're not supposed to be, except on two jets which has them that way by mistake... (and I don't think those are among the options for the kit!)

If memory serves then the #3 Squadron version on the Revell sheet IS one of the actual jets that got the identical pairs on both sides of the fin. I`d check this out but I`m sure we had this debate on ARC quite recently that Revell had accurately recreated what The RAF had done with that particular jet. If not, then the serial is easily changed to one of the `identical` jets.

I know for a fact that when I was considering the options, an accurate 3 Squadron machine was easily achieved, I just can`t remember the serials involved, off the top of my head.

I`m pretty sure accurate decals are available for all four current RAF squadrons, not just 11 Squadron.

Just had a worry moment so checked out the two-seat Typhoon I have in the ARC Gallery and the jet that I modelled it on and yes, the identical decals on both fins ARE accurate, WHEW!!! :blink:

Some tail badges are identical both sides, good reference pics are required to identify which are and are not.

Cheers, Ian

PS- RAF Typhoon fleet is very fluid right now and some jets do not stay in the same markings for long.

Edited by Ian Buick

Apparently I have a rather large side order of crow to go with my pizza tonight - I looked over all the Conningsby Typhoon photos in Real Aviation, and according to those, the kit decals are correct for those Typhoons for which pics of both sides of the fin exist, except for the specific pair of 3-squadron jets which have been noted as having the badge on the wrong way.

Which is really, really weird.

On a side note - I'm too tired to check this myself, but was the new squadron leader jet for No 11 "AA" or "DF" - I think I saw the name "SQN LDR J HASKINS" printed on both sides of one of them, hopefully "AA". (Since I have two sheets, I can form "AA" from two "DA" decals. "DF" is a little trickier, and would involve having to cut apart a pair of "B"s to get "F"s. ) "DF" and "AA" are the two PIRATE-equipped jets I've seen pics of so far, and I'd like to build one of them. (If only because I hate having to fill the holes for the sensor...)

All recent pics show 11 Sqn first PIRATE equiped Typhoon as being ZJ939 `DXI`,

This is the first all-new build Block 5 jet and it carries the CO`s pennant.

All my downloaded pics (from Airliners.net and ARC) are too fuzzy (in extreme close-up) to pick out the name but I`m sure his rank is `Wg Cdr` not `Sqn Ldr`.

ZJ933 `DF` has also been delivered to 11 Sqn with PIRATE.

Hope this helps

Cheers, Ian

:lol:

Hang on, just noticed a few items more relevent to your build, Sebastian.

In addition to 11 Sqn jets, The OEU, 17 Sqn also have a PIRATE equiped Typhoon that is also The CO`s bird, carrying his pennant, and is ZJ930 `AA`, so if you want to use the `AA` decals then that`s your bird.

Cheers, again

Ian :lol:

Edited by Ian Buick

Guys,

Block 5 birds with PIRATE currently on unit strength at Coningsby are ZJ930/AA, ZJ939/DXI, ZJ933/DF and ZJ941/DG. ZJ940 was recently delivered unmarked from Warton but hasn't appeared yet. I saw the link showing the decals and there's a couple of points that might be of interest. ZJ915/BY is one of several hangar queen's that haven't flown for ages - 'BY' last flew early in 2006 I believe and is apparently sitting stripped in one of the hangar's at Coningsby. ZJ917/AE was reissued to 3 Sqn as 'QO-G' and is still current. The 3 Sqn bird, ZJ918/QO-L is current as well, infact I photographed it last thursday and the fin badges are ok for this one. ZJ926/QO-Y was one of the jets with the fin badge the wrong way around but the second one - if it ever did exist - I've never seen identified and with finally catching 'QO-L' last week, I've now photographed all 3 Sqn jets, both past and present. Maybe it was corrected early? Hope that's some help.

Gary

For referemce, the 1/72 scale sheet features:

ZJ922/QO-C, 3 Sqn, WG CDR L J BENNETT

ZJ931/DA, 11 Sqn, SQN LDR J HASKINS

ZJ916/AD, 17 Sqn, FLT LT FELGATE, CPL MORRIS

ZJ920/BX, 29 Sqn, SQN LDR I LAING, SGT D J TOMPSON/JT R A J MACKLIN

Anything in particular to know about these?

SP

Hi Sebastian,

ZJ922/QO-C is still as delivered, and is marked with the pennant for OC 3 Sqn. Is one of the earlier jets delivered and operating in the centreline tank configuration. ZJ931/DA is also still as delivered, and came straight from Warton to 11 sqn as their first jet. Flies in the twin tank fit. ZJ916 was AD of 17® Sqn, but was issued to 3 Sqn last year as 'QO-U'. Flies with the centreline tank fitted. I think ZJ920 is still with 29® as BX. I haven't seen it on recent visits and the last reference to it I can see on the net is August. Some of the earlier F2's have gone back to Warton for upgrade (the old 'AA' and 'AB' have been seen back there) so it may have made it's last appearance in those markings - or it could just have become another spares source at Coningsby!

Best pics I have of these jets.

ZJ931/DA

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1263034/L/

ZJ922/QO-C

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1133670/L/

ZJ916/QO-U

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1140798/L

ZJ920/BX

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1090597/L

I've probably got one more trip upto Coningsby I can do this year so hopefully get some more updated pics then.

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Hello Gary,

Interesting stuff!

I wanted to ask, your post suggests that once in a fuel-tank configuration, Typhoons tend to stay that way (for a while at least). Am I reading into this correctly that they keep their configuration (ie-centreline, twin, or clean)?

Cheers, Ian