Trumpeter 1/32 F-105 questions

I was given a gift of the big Trumpeter Thud, and have been working on it - before finding out that one of the engine pieces was incompletely poured in the mold! Well, I'd already painted it, and it wasn't too critical, but I'm going to redo it anyway later - it's a gift after all, I can't just ditch the project and it's a LOT of plastic. So I'll just end up with one very well armed F-105D.

That said - I haven't run across any aftermarket intakes for the big kit, which is a big loss since there's no intake provided, simply an engine in a very obviously hollow body. That, and when I mounted the engine, I found out the bottom 30% or so of the compressor face...was blocked by the bomb bay!

Clearly I or Trumpeter have done something wrong. Now, I didn't see anything on the various build-reviews for the Thud that mentioned it, but maybe there's one I missed. How do I go about adressing this - is the engine mismounted in the body, or is the bomb bay built too big, or what? Since I'm going to get another kit, I intend to give it a fresh start, so I'd like to try to do it right and make it look good.

And if anyone DOES have pictures or suggestions on how to fab an intake for the Thud, that would be most appreciative as well.

And if anyone DOES have pictures or suggestions on how to fab an intake for the Thud, that would be most appreciative as well.

I don't have the answers, but wanted to bump this hoping someone else with answers will see it.

You may consider intake covers. I don't know of any aftermarket ones, but with photo refrences they are probably not too bad to scratch-build.

I was given a gift of the big Trumpeter Thud, and have been working on it - before finding out that one of the engine pieces was incompletely poured in the mold! Well, I'd already painted it, and it wasn't too critical, but I'm going to redo it anyway later - it's a gift after all, I can't just ditch the project and it's a LOT of plastic. So I'll just end up with one very well armed F-105D.

That said - I haven't run across any aftermarket intakes for the big kit, which is a big loss since there's no intake provided, simply an engine in a very obviously hollow body. That, and when I mounted the engine, I found out the bottom 30% or so of the compressor face...was blocked by the bomb bay!

Clearly I or Trumpeter have done something wrong. Now, I didn't see anything on the various build-reviews for the Thud that mentioned it, but maybe there's one I missed. How do I go about adressing this - is the engine mismounted in the body, or is the bomb bay built too big, or what? Since I'm going to get another kit, I intend to give it a fresh start, so I'd like to try to do it right and make it look good.

Ok, I don't have the link (its on my laptop at work) , but Internet Modeler did a build article some time ago and Chris showed an EASY fix for this. Do a Google search for Internet Modeler (like I said I don't have the link here with me now), and do a search on the site for "F-105D" or "Trumpeter F-105D". Think you'll find what your after there. Incidently, I have the 105D myself (its a full boat package). I haven't started it, because I'm "Stanley the paraplegic snail" in my build process. I'm still working on my 1/32 RF-4B at present. But as far as reference pics and what's available aftermarket wise (to fix it), hit me up. I know where you can go to get the stuff. I blew about 250 bucks on the "whole enchilada" and I don't have everything, but close. It may seem excessive to you, but compared to the "sleeping" 1/32 A-10 its not that bad. I know I spend too much on these, but in 32nd scale its very easy to do.

f105d_row.jpg

Hope this helps,

Jarrod Cunningham

Austin, Texas

Edited by jcunny
Ok, I don't have the link (its on my laptop at work) , but Internet Modeler did a build article some time ago and Chris showed an EASY fix for this.

Hope this helps,

Jarrod Cunningham

Austin, Texas

here is a Internet modeler link to a 2004 article.

here is a Internet modeler link to a 2004 article.

No, that's "Doc's" build that is also on LSP. Chris did one and shows how to fix the intake. Bad thing about the archive it doesn't have a search function...bummer...Also kinda sad to see Al's column..miss the guy!!!

JC

Edited by jcunny
No, that's "Doc's" build that is also on LSP. Chris did one and shows how to fix the intake. Bad thing about the archive it doesn't have a search function...bummer...Also kinda sad to see Al's column..miss the guy!!!

JC

Hopefully I am getting closer with this one from Will. I did a Google search in the IM site and this is all I found in addition to the first posting.

Hopefully I am getting closer with this one from Will. I did a Google search in the IM site and this is all I found in addition to the first posting.

THAT'S IT!!! Will did the article not Chris..Guess that was my bad. That article is 3 years ago, so I guess I'm lucky just to remember it!!!

That should tell him everything to do to fix it.

JC

I also have the beast. There were some aftermarket intake sets produced by a british company about 4 years ago but haven't heard from them for a while. Curtting Edge also produces a fix for the canopy which looks good (I haven't fitted mine yet). The biggest problem with the kit (and it shares this with the Monogram kit) is the nose. It looks pinched and not the constant ogive from behind the the cockpit almost.

I wish someone would make a fix for this. Way beyond my modelling skills I am afraid.

Will

I also have the beast. There were some aftermarket intake sets produced by a british company about 4 years ago but haven't heard from them for a while. Curtting Edge also produces a fix for the canopy which looks good (I haven't fitted mine yet). The biggest problem with the kit (and it shares this with the Monogram kit) is the nose. It looks pinched and not the constant ogive from behind the the cockpit almost.

I wish someone would make a fix for this. Way beyond my modelling skills I am afraid.

Will

Will,

Cutting Edge does the nose. I have one as well as the tail pieces too.

Jarrod

Awesome finds, thank you guys. The engine compressor face being literally tucked into the bomb bay, I didn't see anything on; I'm starting to wonder if it's a mistake I made. (Alas, no camera, so...)

mrvark, thanks a million for that pic - I've been through the ARC walkarounds and all the others I could find didn't have a pic of the intakes clearly! That'll help hugely.

My intent was originally to build it in-flight, as I've always loved the Thud's look of Big Fat Speed and I could avoid the whole problems with the landing gear. Though I might just build it as a decksitter anyways, with the metal sets. I will be getting the Eduard color photoetch for the cockpit to save myself a lot of work (lupus and neck injuries make detailing tough!) but I still want to do it right more than anything else.

Huge kudos to all!