first time user of SNJ Spray Metal, any advice?

I really like using this product. Make sure that you have a good bottle. If it's not very smooth and even in the bottom of the bottle it won't spray properly. When shaken it should mix quickly. If not it's probably no good. ANY metallic finish will look the same in the bottle as it will on the model when properly applied. If it's grainy in the bottom of the jar it will be grainy on the model.

First, make sure the surface is properly prepped. SNJ is very thin and any scratches WILL show up! I've found it best to prime over cyano glues and fillers as after awhile you can see them for some reason.The smoother the surface the smoother the finish. Spray on thin light coats using very low 10-15 psi pressure and gradually build them up until you get good even coverage. Don't let it puddle.

If you're going to use the powder use it as soon as the SNJ is dry enough to handle. Rub it in good and then let it set in for awhile. Go over it with a clean cloth or smooth paper towel to remove excess powder. If you let the SNJ dry too long before using the powder it won't bond as well and will rub off.

If you make a mistake you can sand it out and feather edge it and then respray. It will take several coats to blend in.

The great thing about the SNJ is that you can get different effects by sanding it lightly with super-fine polishing sanding cloths. Sand one panel in one direction and an adjoining panel in a perpendicular direction. You can also rub it out with white toothpaste or a metal polish. This usually darkens it slightly. You can also tint by mixing in gloss enamels. You can also use tube oil paints like you would the powder for another effect.

Experiment first. I think you'll like it. The biggest drawback is that the unused portion will go bad if it isn't put in a smaller bottle with no air.

HTH

Lou

Yes - use Alclad :cheers:

Seriously though, Hal kindly donated me some Alclad and SnJ & I found the Alclad much easier to use. Alclad you can use a gravity feed cup. SnJ Spraymetal you need a siphon feed bottle, else the particles in the paint cause too much clogging in the airbrush feed tube. And you need to periodically swirl the bottle about to keep the relatively large metal particles in suspension (you don't have to do this with Alclad).

The SnJ polishing powder is magic though - be very careful as the tiny particles get everywhere (for Christ sake don't sneeze when the jar is open :D ) . When I needed a very shiny small section near the exhaust on my Sabre, I masked off that section, put a tiny tiny amount on a cotton bud & polished on. Just keep polishing & it gets more shiny. Make sure you get none on your fingers else it send up everywhere.

BTW on the Sabre I used the polishing powder over acryclic Citadel Mithral Silver.

Edited by Thommo