calling all AN-26 and L-29 experts!

Alrighty,

for my uncle's 45th birthday, I'm making a couple aircraft profiles, one AN-26 and one L-29.

I have all the resources I think I need for the L-29, but the AN-26 is proving problematic.

First of all, what are the differences between the AN-26 and the AN-26B? All the good reference photos I have are AN-26Bs, so I want to know if there are any differences on the outside.

Also, does anyone have any good photos of this bird in the colors and configuration used by the Slovak Air Force? it seems that every planes antennas are configured differently ;)

I want to get it as accurate as possible, because he used to spend almost all his time around AN-26s, so I don't want any errors.

any help, or information on either type would be greatly appreciated

cheers,

Christian :D

Alrighty,

for my uncle's 45th birthday, I'm making a couple aircraft profiles, one AN-26 and one L-29.

I have all the resources I think I need for the L-29, but the AN-26 is proving problematic.

First of all, what are the differences between the AN-26 and the AN-26B? All the good reference photos I have are AN-26Bs, so I want to know if there are any differences on the outside.

Also, does anyone have any good photos of this bird in the colors and configuration used by the Slovak Air Force? it seems that every planes antennas are configured differently :cheers:

I want to get it as accurate as possible, because he used to spend almost all his time around AN-26s, so I don't want any errors.

any help, or information on either type would be greatly appreciated

cheers,

Christian :D

The latest SAMI has a nice build article on the AN-26 with some good photos and background.

According to the book "Antonov's Turboprop Twins" by Yefim Gordon et al. (Red Star Series vol. 12), the outward differences between the An-26B and the An-26 were different nose titles and a plug with a regular-sized window instead of a port side blister at the navigator's station.

Hope this helps,

Bruce

According to the book "Antonov's Turboprop Twins" by Yefim Gordon et al. (Red Star Series vol. 12), the outward differences between the An-26B and the An-26 were different nose titles and a plug with a regular-sized window instead of a port side blister at the navigator's station.

Hope this helps,

Bruce

awesome Bruce!

but what exactly do you mean by different nose titles?

also, I've been told that Antonov went from using the ZMDB-Progress Al-24V engine to the ZMDB Progress Al-24VT engine, do you know if this would have changed the size/shape of the engine housing?

cheers all :woot.gif:

awesome Bruce!

but what exactly do you mean by different nose titles?

also, I've been told that Antonov went from using the ZMDB-Progress Al-24V engine to the ZMDB Progress Al-24VT engine, do you know if this would have changed the size/shape of the engine housing?

cheers all :thumbsup:

I think the book is referring to the "AH-26" or "AH-26b" Cyrillic script on the nose of the plane for the nose titles. I flipped through the book to see if it had any more info on the engine differences, but didn't find anything - I haven't read the book that closely yet so there might be something buried in the text.

Bruce

I think the book is referring to the "AH-26" or "AH-26b" Cyrillic script on the nose of the plane for the nose titles. I flipped through the book to see if it had any more info on the engine differences, but didn't find anything - I haven't read the book that closely yet so there might be something buried in the text.

Bruce

ah alrighty, thanks :banana:

if you ever come across anything about the engines, would you mind letting me know?

thanks everyone!

:salute: Hello Christian,

You could try googling for the two engine types. I don't know if there would be a great deal of difference between them, probably just some minor differences. It would be like the various models or variants of the Allison T-56 engine as used in the C-130 Hercules and P-3 Orion. In the Orion the engine is mounted inverted as compared to the Hercules but as far as I have been able to see from photos the An-24 and An-24B have the same basic engine in the same nacelles.

:wacko:,

Ross.

:salute: Hello again Christian,

I have just looked up my copy of Bill Gunston's Osprey Encyclopoedia of Russian Aircraft 1875-1995 in the section about the An-26 he says the An-26B is the export version. As far as the engines are concerned the book says the AI-24V is a helicopter version of the engine (V=Vertolet, the Russian for helicopter ). The Ai-24VT is a more powerful version used in the main production An-26.

The prototypes and series 1 production aircraft apparently had the standard AI-24. The AI-24VT produced 200kW more than the standard AI-24. I hope this helps.

:wacko:,

Ross.