Hasegawa 1/48 F-4G

Hi everyone,

Well, my current project is coming along 'swimmingly' and I just wanted to show you guys some of the progress shots.

The bulk of my time thus far has been spent prepping all the parts for airbrushing but here are some of the highlights.

The most amount of work thus far has been on the ejection seats. I did not go for aftermarket stuff so I decided to enhance the kit's seats. Most of the effort was spent on the upper surfaces as these are most visible. Here's a pre and post shot:

IMG_1009Medium.jpg

Here is the almost completed product... pilots still to come:

IMG_1217Medium.jpg

I also started on the back panel of the rear instrument panel... I will add more detail once I get it in the pit:

IMG_1216Medium.jpg

Here are the finished pilots. As I am doing one of the last F4-G's to see action in Iraq I got some modern helmets from Aaron (thanks mate) to replace the kit's old 70's helmets:

IMG_1504Medium.jpg

Here's a pic of the front instrument panel... I know the lighting is terrible...

IMG_1505Medium.jpg

The kit does need much attention to get right... for instance you have to fill the air intake guides otherwise you get so see a hole when looking down on the F-4 at some angles...

IMG_1426Medium.jpg

I spent alot of time on the missile pylon's. First they have to be re-scribed as these have raised panel lines unlike the rest of the kit. They also had to be re-detailed. The chaff/flare dispensers are only half right in the kit. I had to modify the outside one to point down and also had to scratch build the mounting plates. I also had to fill the mount holes and add some sway braces:

IMG_1432Medium.jpg

IMG_1496Medium.jpg

Here are all the parts getting ready for assembly and airbrushing. The main fuselage body parts, especially the wings, require that many of the 'bumps' be removed/sanded for the F-4G configuration... a bit of a pain but necessary.

IMG_1506Medium.jpg

...and of course you have to have daily inspiration for the build ;-)

IMG_0983Small.jpg

Thanks for looking... will update with more pics as events warrant ;-)

-Greg

Update time... spent some time this weekend working on the F-4 :-)

I started work on the ALQ-184 - repositioning the mounting point:

ALQ-184-2.jpg

ALQ-184-1.jpg

Then I just had to spruce up the pit... not enough detail for my taste :-)

Pit-1.jpg

pit-2.jpg

pit-3.jpg

pit-4.jpg

I also did some detail work on the exhausts ... but I'll post pics later...

Best,

-Greg

Super work in the cockpit, Greg. Sometimes it just gets too expensive to get the aftermarket bits and seeing the changes you made to the front office using a little styrene looks brilliant. Great work, sir and nice choice on the a/c. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks guys... I really appreciate the feedback. I would love to use aftermarket stuff and would wholeheartedly if it was not made from resin. I can't stand working with the stuff. Moreover you have to be careful about inhaling resin dust ... /shrug So I have to use my own hands to try and re-creat some detail in 1/48 scale to fool the eye into seeing there's quite a bit happening in these cockpits ;-)

Any recommendation or direction re building the Hase F-4G is welcome as always.

-Greg

Fantastic job on creating that extra "spark" in the cockpits.

I agree regarding the aftermarket resin sets. They are getting just as expensive, and in many cases MORE expensive than the kits that they are for.

I'll be following your progress with great interest!

I also started on the back panel of the rear instrument panel... I will add more detail once I get it in the pit:

IMG_1216Medium.jpg

What did you use for the wiring? It almost looks like solder, but its bronze-ish? That seems to be something fairly simple that I can try to incorporate into my next builds

Na it's just another size brass type wire... it's harder to work with then copper wire but I will add more copper wiring once this piece is in place to add even more detail. I just wanted to have a couple of sizes of wire here for better effect.

-Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Well... spent some time this weekend working on the kit... here are some more progress photos. One thing I have to say is that to make this kit really nice requires ALOT of work... nothing that anyone with moderate modelling skills can't handle but it certainly isn't like the Revell F-15E ... It's quite an old mould really and it shows. Parts don't align as perfectly as they should, gaps exist... GAPS... GAPS... don't get me started on the gaps inside the air intakes... that's my next mini project to at least seal those gaps. Anyone who wants a good rendition would be probobaly best served setting some seamless suckers for this one.

Still a very fun projects :-)

Firstly I had to add some detail to the burner cans... they were just too simple...

IMG_1628Medium.jpg

Then started work on the cockpit... mind you these are quite the large closeups... in RL the details looks super sharp...

IMG_1631Medium.jpg

IMG_1634Medium.jpg

IMG_1636Medium.jpg

IMG_1640Medium.jpg

IMG_1641Medium.jpg

IMG_1643Medium.jpg

IMG_1648Medium.jpg

IMG_1649Medium.jpg

Here are a few more:

IMG_1655Medium.jpg

IMG_1657Medium.jpg

IMG_1658Medium.jpg

Here's the front wheel well:

IMG_1659Medium.jpg

Finally the fuselage halves together.

Notice the gradiant shading on the back end of the air intake... to try and fool the eye ;-)

I also added more detail to the back instrument panel to make it look even more busy.

IMG_1669Medium.jpg

I'll of course update with more pics as I get further in the build... now the tedious task of sanding all the joint seam lines and rescribing lines :-(

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Best,

-Greg

Edited by lgl007

The pit looks good, but a suggestion would be to put the oxygen hoses under the crewmen's arms. Having that hose interfering with the movement of their arms would be cumbersome. I know when I rode in the rear seat of both in the F-106 and F-16 the hose laid along my hip and there was quite a bit of slack to permit free movement of the head and upper torso to allow contorting to keep 'eyes on' the boogie.

Great looking cockpit!What timeframe is your jet going to be modeled in and what unit?Judging from the pilots in the cockpit it would be after the mid-1980's?I have loads of pics that can help you out that a friend of mine took of QF-4E/G's at Holloman and Tyndall AFB,cockpit shots and exterior shots.

I do recall F-4G's had the same AVTR box(it's kinda like a VHS recorder for aircraft :shoot: )as our F-4E's did,it sat in the front 'pit on the rear right hand side,the Verlinden Lock-On book shows a good pic of it(I think my friends pics show it as well).Shot me a PM/e-mail if you are interested in the pics.Also since I worked on Phantoms(F-4C and E,but also was caretaker of F-4D's,RF-4C's,and F-4G's when the come on base)I can possibly answer any questions you may have.

I'm really watching this build closely! :soapbox:

Gerald: excellent suggestion... but unfortunately a bit late as the pit is now in ... well at least the aircraft will not be in flight so I can just imagine they just trapped in and will adjust the hoses momentarily ;-)

Larry: nice pic... I'm actually doing a Hill Scheme (gray on gray) of one of the last F-4G's in Iraq.

ThePhantomTwo: Yes, Aaron sent me the heads as I needed helmets that were used in late 1990's. As for cockpit shots, well it's all put in now... I used the pics of the Aires Resin pit as reference when I scratch built many of the interior pieces... mind you I should not have spent so much time as once the fuselage halves are together you can barely see anything... still you get the sense of the 'busy office' as I wanted... I think the overall effect has been achieved and I think (fingers crossed) the final product will be a very eye catching F-4G =)

Cheers gang,

-Greg

PS: I do appreciate all the kind words... makes it all worth while to display the progress to those who can appreciate the work that goes into our hobby... ;-)