F-14 Tomcat Parking Only

How complete are these museum cats? Cockpit intact? engines?

The F-14A with VF-84 markings at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo in Michigan has a complete cockpit, but I believe the engines were removed (it has the nozzles, but the intake has a cover).

• 2 weeks later...
Thought I'd get the Tomcat thread kicked back off. Just posted these over on the Tomcat Association forums for Dan Teker, but thought they'd look nice here too!

VF-2 March 95 Fly-in

VF-2100mar96flyingccx.jpg

VF-2100101tailsmar96ccx.jpg

-brian

*coughdecoughcoughcalscoughcough*

EDIT-- I made 2 guesses, then really looked at the picture...--

Standard boat tail, old style wheel hubs... Something early...or something significant?

-brian

Dan - Sorry I can't read all the names on the large scan of the slide. If you want the ones I do have, I send them over. Cag/DCAG/Co/XO easy to get but not 100% about the other side...yet...

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
I'm doing a Tomcat for VA Beach nats that is based on something like this. I'm going to name it "Clinton's Legacy". :D

WOW - Dude, Clinton had nothing to do with the Tomcat's demise. If you want to play the blame game, look no further than the office of our current VP, Dick Cheney. He axed the tomcat program in the 90s as SecDef during Bush Senior's tenure. He even had Grumman destroy all the tooling

Edited by Fuji

Maybe I'm missing something, what does ending production in 1990, have to do with ending flight ops 15 years later. Yeah, Dick Cheney's the "boogie man", but that's kinda of a stretch isn't? Heck, Jimma Carter, cancelled the B-1 program in the seventies, is he responsible for 30 or so going to the bone yard decades later? Just wondered.

Chuck

I'm doing a Tomcat for VA Beach nats that is based on something like this. I'm going to name it "Clinton's Legacy". :D

Better rename it Dick Cheney's Legacy. It was Cheney who killed the cat.

As for that maintenance man hour v. flight hour argument goes, I've found MMH v FH numbers in the high forties when the airframes were new. Found those numbers in various squadron history files stored at the Navy History Center.

Mac Air won the battle in DC, Grumman didn't. That's why almost everything on a carrier flight deck will soon have the number 18 in its designation.

Edited by Sig Saur & Son