F-14 Tomcat Parking Only

Guys....lets try and clean things up a bit here.

Between relations with farm animals and the use of the word shiite etc....this thread is off course.

:lol: Aye, aye, Cap'n as Jar Jar would say, theysa was in big doo doo

........relations with farm animals

(said with Bill Engvall's voice) My God!!!!

Edited by Angels49

Ohhhh, Ahhhh, those are NICE!

That VF-24 jet was part of a division (200, 201, 207, 210) det that did some fine ACM work against an un-expecting F-15 squadron hosting them. The F-15 guys weren't completely aware (IE they were briefed but chose to ignore it) that the Tomcats were the brand spankin' new A+. The F-15 squadron had invited the Renegades over thinking they'd beat up on the Navy guys with some new 'bright' idea tactics. Yeahhhhhh. The first section go was a total and complete smashing of the Ego-Drivers. With the big GE motors and no tanks, it was all over in a matter of seconds. Second go, same result. Third go, no different. Next day, they finally caught on but still only scored one kill. Ratio for the det - Tomcats 13, Eagles 1. Story goes that most of the F-15 guys didn't even bother showing up for the closing night at the club. Next morning at 0'dark 30, VF-24 departed in afterburner as a thank you.

Rage On, Baby!

Brian

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals

While my operational Tomcat shots are not anywhere the quality that people have been posting, I can contribute a little by posting some shots I took 2 weeks ago at AMARG. These Tomcats are in the area of AMARG that is pretty much the end point. Next stop is the scrapper. They really stood out amongst the derelicts in this area!

F14AMARG217Oct82008.jpg

F14AMARG235Oct82008.jpg

F14AMARG248Oct82008.jpg

F14AMARG229Oct82008.jpg

Enjoy!

Mike :blink:

I finally figured out how to operate my copier, scanner, fax, nuclear reactor...... I went back through my photos of my days on the Ranger and found a couple that look OK. Here they are.

These guys were on ready alert. In case you're wondering, the RIO is wearing a gorilla mask and it was Indian Ocean hot too!

scan0011.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan0012.jpg

Ohhhh, Ahhhh, those are NICE!

That VF-24 jet was part of a division (200, 201, 207, 210) det that did some fine ACM work against an un-expecting F-15 squadron hosting them. The F-15 guys weren't completely aware (IE they were briefed but chose to ignore it) that the Tomcats were the brand spankin' new A+. The F-15 squadron had invited the Renegades over thinking they'd beat up on the Navy guys with some new 'bright' idea tactics. Yeahhhhhh. The first section go was a total and complete smashing of the Ego-Drivers. With the big GE motors and no tanks, it was all over in a matter of seconds. Second go, same result. Third go, no different. Next day, they finally caught on but still only scored one kill. Ratio for the det - Tomcats 13, Eagles 1. Story goes that most of the F-15 guys didn't even bother showing up for the closing night at the club. Next morning at 0'dark 30, VF-24 departed in afterburner as a thank you.

Rage On, Baby!

Brian

Thanks for the info Brian. What time frame was that?

Oh yes, I was going to say I love that VF-24 F-14A+. Also always good to hear about the awesomeness of the F-14's dogfighting. Laffs.

So I see that as of last week, mainly VF-24, VF-2, VF-213, and VF-32 jets are left. At least they left the hi-vis VF-213 and VF-32 jets alone for now. I also see a black-tailed something in that "row" pic.

While my operational Tomcat shots are not anywhere the quality that people have been posting, I can contribute a little by posting some shots I took 2 weeks ago at AMARG. These Tomcats are in the area of AMARG that is pretty much the end point. Next stop is the scrapper. They really stood out amongst the derelicts in this area!

Not that I doubt you Mike, but that's a surprise to hear those jets are still there. When I was out there in April, there wasn't much left and they were supposed to be done by August. Maybe the B/D line got pushed back. Good to know that they aren't quiet gone yet.

Thanks for sharing!

-brian

Not that I doubt you Mike, but that's a surprise to hear those jets are still there. When I was out there in April, there wasn't much left and they were supposed to be done by August. Maybe the B/D line got pushed back. Good to know that they aren't quiet gone yet.

Thanks for sharing!

-brian

likewise I was under the impression that they had mere DAYS left to live after I'd gone for the photoshoot... and that was back in April. Good to see 'em still out there hanging on!

I notice there are still a few A models in the lineup... this is curious indeed

F14AMARG217Oct82008.jpg

F14AMARG235Oct82008.jpg

F14AMARG248Oct82008.jpg

F14AMARG229Oct82008.jpg

Enjoy!

Mike :banana:

I guess The Tomcat days are not totally finished...Last week, Ms Maria Hart-Wise, from PEO Tactical Aircraft Programs, sent me back an answer to an email in wich I requested some informations regarding the airframes listed somewhere in a thread I created some weeks ago in this forum. I requested inforations about the overhaul maintenence process and drawings for the panels wich are open during these operations. Here are the 2 emails I'm talking about:

My request

As a French modeller, I'm curently working on a project wich I called "Tomcat Farewell" wich will feature up to aproximatly 15 F-14s. These Tomcat are already done: F-14D-165-GR BuNo 163894 in the colours of VF-2 in May of 2003 and F-14D-170-GR BuNo 161604 in VX-9 sheme(Vandy One). Is also on the bench F-14A-110-GR BuNo 161164 (TARPS capable jet) in 1994 VF-84 sheme. I wish to know if it could be possible and authorized for you to provide me F-14A/B/D drawings, a shema of the conversion process(F-14A to F-14A+, F-14A to F-14D® ) , as well as as much informations about the following jets:

F-14A-095-GR BuNo 160394 F-14A-100-GR BuNo 160660 F-14A-110-GR BuNo 161164(TARPS capable) F-14A-125-GR BuNo 161612 F-14A-130 BuNo 161869

F-14A+-120(KB2)-GR BuNo 161426 F-14A+-125(KB23)-GR BuNo 161608

F-14A+F-14B-150-GR BuNo 163224 F-14D-165-GR BuNo 163893 F-14D-165-GR BuNo 163900 F-14D-170-GR BuNo 164342 F-14D-170-GR BuNo 164600 F-14D-170-GR BuNo 164350 and F-14D-170-GR BuNo 164603

Could it possible for you to provide me all the informations I could need about these aircrafts? Can you tell me the pross of a major overhaul process?

And the answer I got this week

Thank you for your questions, but at this time we can not offer any responses for security reason.

That's why I'm guessing the Tomcat days are finally not finished yet...Maybe Obama would bring them to the Fleet?

That's why I'm guessing the Tomcat days are finally not finished yet...Maybe Obama would bring them to the Fleet?

You can cross off any and all thoughts, wishes, and hopes of the F-14 EVER being returned to the fleet.

The remaining tomcats pictured at AMARG are all scheduled for destruction.

And the answer I got this week

Thank you for your questions, but at this time we can not offer any responses for security reason.

That sounds more like governmentese for "Are you fraking kidding me? I've got more important stuff to do than tract that much info down for a model builder." The fact that you asked for a lot of information that would require a lot of work that, granted you may be willing to do yourself, but they will look at as a headache and not worth the trouble. There is nothing in it for them and they will see no justifiable reason to get you that information. They also view Tomcat as a has-been piece of equipment that many in the military and AMARG wish many people would just get past. They find the continued obsessive requests as a nuisance and look forward to seeing the last Tomcat gone. When I talked to the Naval Aviation Museum's personnel about VF-32's second MiG killer, they said, and I quote - "Not another Tomcat, you have no idea how much of a pain this plane is in terms of requests for information." I had a request into a manufacturer for information for a book (not the F-14), a legitimate request, and they give crap since the aircraft was no longer in production & they looked at anything that wasn't a source of current income for them not worth supporting or helping research.

You're also a foreign national and this administration has made the Tomcat a hair trigger topic, especially certain technical information such as the type conversions that you requested. Trust me, your request is the bottom of the priority list. They probably set it on the desk and moved the "To Do" pile on top of it if they even considered it. Now I don't say this to belittle you, but you guys have got to understand where you sit in the pecking order of things and the fact that Tomcat fans are pretty much a joke in the eyes of many in these people in these stations. Some like Dave Brown who are working on legitimate subjects get the attention they ask for but its a long and intricate process. The fact is that many Modelers and Spotters are making doing business with the military harder as they assume since other people have access they should have the same amount too. I've heard about people showing up at Oceana and Lemoore with models for a squadron without any prior contact and expecting to have access to that unit and their flightline. I know that about a month ago an enthusiast got access to a local base and then made his way to the flightlines and started shooting images of aircraft that were not to be documented. When he was caught, he lied and denied everything until they provided his images as proof of his lies and called those he said gave their permission to take pictures on the flightline, one being the base CO! His actions not only got him banned from the base, but his photo gear confiscated and his contact reprimanded in addition to the base implementing stricter regulations in regard to visiting photographers making legitimate photoshoots harder to arrange and execute.

The Tomcat is Done and I personally can't wait until the last one is scrapped at AMARG.

Fuji, back in the 80s when we would go spotting at El Toro and later go on base(back then, security was much less strict), the first thing we did was put or cameras and binoculars in the trunk of the car before heading on base and never took them out until after leaving the base proper ...

Gregg

You can cross off any and all thoughts, wishes, and hopes of the F-14 EVER being returned to the fleet.

The remaining tomcats pictured at AMARG are all scheduled for destruction.

yeah, the big, ominous, red "D" with the X through it on all the radomes is the final kiss of death. All of these airframes have already been stripped of anything in the way of useful parts (avionics boxes, etc). They were taking them out of a 143 jet, 2 VF-11 jets, and the last two remaining VF-103 jets while I was there. They're all but empty shells for the most part (a surprising number appear to still have their engines installed though).

My only curiosity is why they're dragging this out... surely they want those airframes gone just as much as most of the rest of the buraucracy. What gives, I wonder?

The Tomcat is Done and I personally can't wait until the last one is scrapped at AMARG.

You and me both.

I assist in moderating the forums on the F-14 Association website (as does Dave Brown), and I am SOOOOO sick and tired of the "I wish the tomcat was back" threads. Half the time the threads end up getting locked down because the mods are tired of explaining why the tomcat is being scrapped.

We are even more cautious of foreign nationals (regardless of how harmless they are) who ask detailed questions about the tomcat. The F-14 is a sensative issue and will continue to be until the last one is scrapped.

My advice, enjoy the F-14's that are in museum possession, at least they didn't fall to the scrapper.

The F-14 is DONE people...let's move on and complain about the Super Hornet while we still have those.

If they want the Tomcat gone as fast as possible why the birds are so well conservated? and what's the difference betwin AMARG and AMARC?AMARG destruys the jets while AMARC holds them in war reserve?

If they want the Tomcat gone as fast as possible why the birds are so well conservated? and what's the difference betwin AMARG and AMARC?AMARG destruys the jets while AMARC holds them in war reserve?

AMARC was reccently re-named as AMARG.

Same place..different name.

If they want the Tomcat gone as fast as possible why the birds are so well conservated?

they are "conservated" (I think you mean "conserved") no different than any other aircraft out there (with the possible exception of some really poor-looking F-111s). They received no special treatment other than getting pushed to the head of the "to be destroyed" line. And as reluctant as they are to answer questions to americans that inquire about the F-14, the chances of ANYONE of another nationality getting info on these jets is well neigh impossible. Even as an american author writing a book on these planes, the best answer I get out of washington on a lot of what I ask for is "we'll see."

"X" marks the spot. Once a jet at AMARG receives this, it's a done deal. Just a matter of time

162921-5.jpg

does this look well conserved to you??

159597-1.jpg

Edited by Skull Leader

Hey all its your favorite ex- VF2 dude! Just saying hey and that im switching to my new name of Surgical Strike Photo. Feel free to ask me anything about VF-2. For those of you who dont know, i was in VF-2 as a photographer's mate working on TARPS and LANTIRN for their last two cruises in 2001 and 2002-2003. So please respond to my new name. Missed everyone these last two years or so! Been crazy, thats all im going to say....

Dan