F-14 Tomcat Parking Only

Just to add a tidbit to Reddog's info - When the plan called for only 1 AIM-9, it would *always* go opposite the Lantirn pod for a number of reasons. Ease of access on the rails. Lantirn pods were HVA and it was better not having something nearby that you could drop, bump or otherwise interfere with the pod was better. Field of view was a consideration. The AIM-9 doesn't really block the FOV but anything that didn't have to be in the way was better. Early on the idea was to not even load a rail on 8A to give better view. The BOL rail did have the added benefit of having the expendables in the rails.

Oh, and thank you for posting the pictures. Makes me itching to finally get the VF-103 Sluggers decal sheet into the lineup :whistle:

-brian

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals

Thanks for this latest batch, Dave.

I find the VF-14 jet particularly interesting, for the rarity of the scheme if nothing else. Does it pre-date the black tailed CAG by much (if at all)?

Cheers,

Andrew.

I find the VF-14 jet particularly interesting, for the rarity of the scheme if nothing else. Does it pre-date the black tailed CAG by much (if at all)?

I think a recent repop of Airfix's otherwise forgettable 1/72nd F-14A had these markings.

Cheers,

Andre

162699F-14AVF-142DFB.jpg

F-14A 162699 VF-142 sept 1986

F-14D163894VF-2JUNE03DFB.jpg

F-14D 163894 VF-2 7 June 2003

158615F-14AVF-14Oct95Author.jpg

F-14A 158615 VF-14 22 October 1995

161134F-14AVF-101aa.jpg

F-14A 161134 VF-101 Moon Equipped April 1983

163902F-14DVF-31SEPT06SUNSETDAVIDFB.jpg

F-14D 163902 VF-31 Tomcat Sunset 22 Sept 2006

All Photos Copyright David F. Brown

Edited by Sig Saur & Son

Wow, thanks again Dave.

I'm sorry for not acknowledging this earlier, but I appreciate all the info you record with the photos (esp. Bu Nos) and am super chuffed to have the date as well; really, many thanks.

Cheers,

Andrew (with a growing liking for VF-14 jets for some reason.....)

Pic request:

VF-84 CAG and CO planes *during* Desert Storm, or immediately prior to. All I ever find pics of are 1989, or just after Desert Storm when AJ201 has been repainted. I'd like pics showing how they looked while actually flying over the gulf.

Edited by David Hingtgen
Now tell me about the Rattle Snake nose art applied to at least three Tomcats over the years.

Sounds like someone got zapped.

I have no clue, but could tell you abou the time VF-143 got zapped by VF-103, we added "male parts" to their Pukin Dog tail marking. :D

Reddog :)

Your welcome, Dave ...

I had the pleasure of meeting him at Miramar when Vandy 1 was still an F-4S, he flew it down from Pt Mugu for the airshow and was doing the meet and greets with the public ... I was saddned to read of his passing ...

I'm not sure about the Rattle Snake though ... :lol:

Gregg

Thanks Gregg for the link to Moon Vance.

Now tell me about the Rattle Snake nose art applied to at least three Tomcats over the years.

Hi Dave ,

In those days , Alex "Rattler" Rucker was in VF-101 hence the rattle snake on the Tomcats and he painted all kinds of nose art , the rattle snake was also seen on a F-5E from NFWS in the early days of the Topgun flight also the "Rattler" was seen on some VF-142 Tomcats ........................ Rumour goes that "Rattler" designed the Topgun Logo too........

Rattler was the wingman of Tony Nargi when he got his MiG Kill in 1968 for VF-111 !

HTH , Henk

Edited by sundowner