F-14 Tomcat Parking Only

That photo is NOT the same accident. You can see the island structure in the right hand side of the photo so unless they built a carrier with the island on the left when viewed from the rear, this tomcat is up near the bow cats and the video is behind cat 4.

Let's play CSI - Internet: :)

Looking at the time stamp on the video it looks like 18 April 1995. This site lists an accident on that date involving an F-14 from VF-21:

Aircraft nosewheel slipped over the carrier deck

Comments under the video also mention this was a VF-21 jet.

Obviously the F-14 in the still photo is NOT a VF-21 jet but a VF-114 jet.

Working backwards from the info on the page linked above, there were two VF-114 NH100-numbered Tomcats involved in ejections, the first on 29-Sep-81 and the second on 17-May-90, both while VF-114 was on the USS America CV-66. Neither of those dates match the video time stamp so, regardless of the location of the island structure, it would seem the video and the photo are two separate incidents.

Few years ago, I saw a photo of the F-14A of VF-84 Jolly Rogers that were part of the movie The Final Countdown and one particular Tomcat carried two Zero kills. Of course, it was just a joke by the crew but looked cool. I don't suppose anyone here know anything about that Tomcat? I don't remember where I saw the pic. TIA

Mike

Let's play CSI - Internet: :)/>

Looking at the time stamp on the video it looks like 18 April 1995. This site lists an accident on that date involving an F-14 from VF-21:

Comments under the video also mention this was a VF-21 jet.

Obviously the F-14 in the still photo is NOT a VF-21 jet but a VF-114 jet.

Working backwards from the info on the page linked above, there were two VF-114 NH100-numbered Tomcats involved in ejections, the first on 29-Sep-81 and the second on 17-May-90, both while VF-114 was on the USS America CV-66. Neither of those dates match the video time stamp so, regardless of the location of the island structure, it would seem the video and the photo are two separate incidents.

You are correct Sir. That plane was parked in the back of the hangar on the Indy when I checked onboard not soon after the event. No JBD on CAT 4, and I remember standing "tower flower" and everyone double checking that aft of CAT 4 was clear for any shot during my time on Indy. You could go out on deck and see the dent in the catwalk where the F-14 slipped over and got hung up (and then you took a quick sidestep to the round-down to see where the E-2 had a ramp strike and broke her back....all the new aviators onboard got this tour) Don't blame them for pulling the handle, but normally you are out the ejection envelope if you break the horizontal plane of the deck. We briefed lost break and being pushed/rolling over the deckedge....it was my job to pull the handle before we started over because the pilot would be stiff legged on the brakes (two broken femurs coming up). Anywhere behind a Tomcat in Zone 5 is absolute SUCK. A lot of my hearing loss is due to getting stuck behind one and my Senior Chief saving my butt from going fool over tea kettle across the flight deck. I miss the boat and flying...but not that crap.

Cheers

Collin

• 2 weeks later...

Captured on the ramp, in awesome weather conditions, at NAS Oceana, back on September 21, 1995, is F-14B, AD-101, VF-101, 162923. She was part of the static displays for the airshow that weekend. Kodak EKTAR 100 film.

"FLIGHTLINE PHOTO"

IMG_4826_zpsa31wjg4q.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. And F-14 experts. Been looking at my Hobbyboss F-14 cockpit and the two circled bits don't look right, as can't find em in any references. What say you?

38382b74-19be-4f2f-a082-9ed905db39eb_zpsgsmuu5ny.jpg

Hi Darren, just seen your post - with regards to the 'mystery items' to the rear of the front cockpit.

Hobby Boss actually did very well to get these parts represented. The starboard box is described as a 'data stowage' box, probably a camera box, and the port piece is a canvas cover that goes over some shaping (crew step recessed into cockpit?) and wiring. Pics are from the DACO 'Uncovering The Tomcat' book.

20160115_224441_zpstedmqcg4.jpg

20160115_224525_zpskzjthzuo.jpg

Are these pictures known?

image142.jpg

image144.jpg

image146.jpg

Coming from here:

http://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VF/Fighter-Squadron-2.htm

HAJO

The camouflage F-14A was assigned to VF-2 Bounty Hunters during the late 1980's. A temporary, water-based camouflage scheme was applied for exercises. I've only seen one of the pictures you posted. The other two show the rest of the scheme to good effect. Thanks for posting.

• 2 months later...

Got a question about the typical loadout for a Topgun mission circa late 80s or early 90s. What would be carried?

Tanks or not? AIM-9L and ACMI? Sparrows? Any belly pallets? Of course any pics would be great as most of the pics in the thread are no longer active and I don't get enough downtime at work to actually scroll thru 90 pages of posts!

Thanks and cheers,

Andy

Got a question about the typical loadout for a Topgun mission circa late 80s or early 90s. What would be carried?

Tanks or not? AIM-9L and ACMI? Sparrows? Any belly pallets? Of course any pics would be great as most of the pics in the thread are no longer active and I don't get enough downtime at work to actually scroll thru 90 pages of posts!

Thanks and cheers,

Andy

Here's a video from 1994 about TOPGUN. Lots of shots of student and adversary aircraft starting around the 27min mark.

Edited by Micro
  • 2 years later...
11 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

How often would this happen?

>>> VF-84 Tomcat <<<

Parked on deck with the wings fully swept out?

-Gregg

Rarely.

The picture looks like they are in port so the aircraft would have the wings spread for maintenance, probably a for an asymmetry test.

The only other time you would see a Tomcat with the wings spread on the flight deck is when it has a "Flap n Slat Lock Out", that is when one of the torque tube for either a slat or a flap snapped and the flaps and slats lock out in the down position, thus you can't sweep the wings.

If a Tomcat required a wing spread while under way for maintenance, it was usually done at night unless it was a "No Fly" day.

• 1 year later...