F-18E/F and EA-18G

Those are some incredible pics you guys are posting.

One area on the E/Fs that seems to be a point of interest is the unpainted areas on the rudder & wing trailing edges. I had the opportunity to get up close to an F model, so I examined these areas. Up close, they look like a very tightly woven fabric, but felt very smooth & somewhat slippery to the touch. It reminded me of Teflon. As you can see in the pic, they can & do hold dirt & grime.

SH_trailing_edge.jpg

SH_trailig_edge2.jpg

SH_rudder_edge.jpg

SH_rudder2.jpg

Some exhaust interior pics as well.

SH_exhaust_int2.jpg

SH_exhaust_int1.jpg

Bottom of the right wing.

SH_under_rtwing.jpg

This was one of two SH's that were parked over in the jet flight demo areas, & they were parked right next to the F-15E demo jets. I had to ask one of the airshow marshals for afavor just to get over to that area, so I didn't have a whole lot of time. I did give him on of my unit patches for his troubles. He appreciated it.

Interesting footnote. I was there Monday morning getting my helo redy to go back home when the F-15E's taxied by & did a single ship TO, in burner (I ran out of memory on my camera, so no pics). Not too long after both of the SH taxied by, but they did a section TO, no burner. Granted, they had no external stores at all...

Belly & gear well pics will be posted if you guys want them.

Also, as an added bonus, I took a video clip of the bird in the pics taxing back in after its demo flight.

SH Taxi

Ish

Edited by Ishthe47guy
  • 2 weeks later...

Not that such things haven't happened before, but sure that's not because of the rudder angle and/or camera perspective?

I dunno fer sure...

-Mike

{edit} actually the F's do look different..maybe somebody grabbed the wrong stencil...

Edited by Sunliner

I'll roll in after Kstater and drop a few of mine off too. Photobucket DOES distort a little bit, but I found that having the premium account allows you to host the pictures at larger sizes... still re-sized for convenience though!

A few from the Tomcat Sunset:

Copyof100_2379.jpg

100_2385.jpg

100_2375.jpg

PICT0217.jpg

and a few more:

PICT0199.jpg

(yes, that's Marbrey standing in my way.... :worship: )

PICT0209.jpg

PICT0212.jpg

(I'm actually amazed that I was the first to post a VFA-213 jet, their rides look sierra hotel! This one was probably fresh out of the paint barn when the Tomcat ceremony was going on)