F-18E/F and EA-18G

Depends on Paddles....I've seen them leave it set for the 3-wire and I've seen them move it to on-top of the 2. Setting it for the 4 would really bump up the bolter rate since if you had a high-ball (and you should be pushing a cresting ball) you'd be SOL.

Spongebob

You COULD always center it in close.

Granted, I wouldn't want to watch, let alone be along for the ride.

Here's a pair from VFA-105. Lead is topping off while #2 goes to right observation (aka reform starboard).

Jeff

Oooh, MPRS... jealous!!! :D Great pics as usual Jeff!!! :blink:

Ahui hou :o

Mark

Aloha all!

Been a bit busy with things as usual, did manage a couple of enjoyable flights though :D Also took my wife’s new Nikon D80 up (I’m a Canon man), all I can say is wow… Pretty nice camera & what a lens. I really need to invest in an L series for my 30D!!! And some lessons as well. Anyhow here’s a little something for the Super Bug thread, didn’t quite have the Nikon switch-ology down and messed things up a bit, hope you all enjoy it regardless :o

Ahui hou :blink:

Mark

DSC_0261.jpg

Hello All:

Would the Afterburner Decals for VFA-105 be appropiate for the time frame in which this picture was taken? The profiles indicate 2006-2007, and this picture is dated 2008. I was thinking about doing AC-400 jet during OIF deployment as seen in this picture:

http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/pho...N-2984R-186.jpg

Franc

The jets on our sheet are based on refs that I took in Sept. 2007 just before they went on deployment. Only thing missing would be the bomb marks, which if I can get in contact with CDR Joyner of VFA-105, I might make an addendum mini sheet.

Mark....man, all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!! Impressive shots!!! What lense were you using? I have a Canon 20D and would have an accident in my undershorts if my shots turned out like yours!!!

Aloha all!

Been a bit busy with things as usual, did manage a couple of enjoyable flights though :worship: Also took my wife’s new Nikon D80 up (I’m a Canon man), all I can say is wow… Pretty nice camera & what a lens. I really need to invest in an L series for my 30D!!! And some lessons as well. Anyhow here’s a little something for the Super Bug thread, didn’t quite have the Nikon switch-ology down and messed things up a bit, hope you all enjoy it regardless :)

Ahui hou :yahoo:

Mark

DSC_0261.jpg

Mark, well done on your first time out with the D80. My only suggestions is watch your focus points and a little more tweaking in post production. Mainly unsharp mask and taking out a bit of cyan and blue to warm up the image a bit. PM inbound

I always thought F/A-18 Air Refueling drogue receptacles were on the pilot's left side. Or maybe this has changed in the super hornet? BTW Buck, those are some pretty nice pics. Are these straight from the camera or have you done some editing with lighting and color in photoshop?

I always thought F/A-18 Air Refueling drogue receptacles were on the pilot's left side. Or maybe this has changed in the super hornet? BTW Buck, those are some pretty nice pics. Are these straight from the camera or have you done some editing with lighting and color in photoshop?

Nope, Most USN jets have always had the refueling probes on the right / starboard side. The only exception, to my knowledge, has been the Fury series that had the probe on the left / port wing and the cougars with the IFR probe on the centerline via the nose cone. I would love to know of any others that broke that rule so anyone is free to enlighten me on this! :worship:

The jets on our sheet are based on refs that I took in Sept. 2007 just before they went on deployment. Only thing missing would be the bomb marks, which if I can get in contact with CDR Joyner of VFA-105, I might make an addendum mini sheet.

WOW! mission markings on those jets would be really awesome. It would be great to have those inserts for the sheet :thumbsup:

Franc

Are these straight from the camera or have you done some editing with lighting and color in photoshop?

Aloha Aerodrew,

Thanks, appreciate the kind words... Those are pretty much from the camera (less cropping, tweaking image rotation, etc. Basically simple stuff), I really haven't graduated to full up post processing & PS CS3. But with the help of pros like Fuji & Jmel I sure hope to eventually get there!

Ahui hou :thumbsup:

Mark

Nope, Most USN jets have always had the refueling probes on the right / starboard side. The only exception, to my knowledge, has been the Fury series that had the probe on the left / port wing and the cougars with the IFR probe on the centerline via the nose cone. I would love to know of any others that broke that rule so anyone is free to enlighten me on this! :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the help & PM, big Mahalo Fuji :worship: I've got a reply PM on the way shortly :)

Regarding the USN AAR probe position... My favorite USN bird had it on the port side as well, the F-8 Crusader series. I really can't think of anything else not already mentioned. Think the USAF had more birds with probes on the port side. F-105's, F-104's, F-5's all come to mind, I'm sure there are more!

Ahui hou :cheers:

Mark

Thanks again for the help & PM, big Mahalo Fuji :thumbsup: I've got a reply PM on the way shortly :)

Regarding the USN AAR probe position... My favorite USN bird had it on the port side as well, the F-8 Crusader series. I really can't think of anything else not already mentioned. Think the USAF had more birds with probes on the port side. F-105's, F-104's, F-5's all come to mind, I'm sure there are more!

Ahui hou :worship:

Mark

:cheers: can't believe I forgot the Crusader, one of my favorites as well! No worries on the help.

I would love to know of any others that broke that rule so anyone is free to enlighten me on this! :thumbsup:

A-6/EA-6B?

But with the help of pros like Fuji & Jmel I sure hope to eventually get there!

Mark, don't sell yourself short. You do some awesome work!! Definitely one of the best around here.

thanks for sharing your adventures with us.

Jake

So I took some time to play around in Photoshop CS3 with one of the hornet images and found that it had a fairly even balance of red green and blue, but with blue dominating it on the right side of the histogram.(didn't feel the need to convert to CMYK) So after toning down the blue and increasing the contrast, I think the jet can really "jump out at you." Now the black stains and other weathering of the aircraft surfaces appear crisp, although it was a very detailed picture to begin with.

DSC_0261photoshopped.jpg

Here's a "before and after" comparison

hornetcomparison.jpg

However the credit for this image belongs to Buck, who does not cease to amaze me with his awesome aerial camera work. ^_^

...somehow I think that RIO's helmet looks like the confederate flag a little bit...

So I took some time to play around in Photoshop CS3 with one of the hornet images and found that it had a fairly even balance of red green and blue, but with blue dominating it on the right side of the histogram.(didn't feel the need to convert to CMYK) So after toning down the blue and increasing the contrast, I think the jet can really "jump out at you." Now the black stains and other weathering of the aircraft surfaces appear crisp, although it was a very detailed picture to begin with.

DSC_0261photoshopped.jpg

Here's a "before and after" comparison

hornetcomparison.jpg

However the credit for this image belongs to Buck, who does not cease to amaze me with his awesome aerial camera work. :thumbsup:

...somehow I think that RIO's helmet looks like the confederate flag a little bit...

If it's the squadron I think it is, they've got more of an "Evil Kinevel" motif going....

And Fuji, you weren't TECHNICALLY wrong in omitting the A-6/EA-6B probe from your list, as it IS on the PILOT'S right... :thumbsup:

Just as an FYI - I didn't convert the images to CMYK. If you look at a color wheel you can see the relation between colors. Add red and you take out cyan, if you add yellow, you take out blue. And vice versa and so on.

colorwheel.jpg

Here were my tweaks of Mark's images

DSC_0261.jpg

IMG_8328.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some shots from Oceana today.

Of particular note is there are 2 different carrier names on a few of 103's a/c. Some with USS Dwight D Eisenhower, and some with USS George Washington. The squadron is not leaving CVW-7, the GW carrier names are/were just temporary. One thing I forgot to mention was, VFA-103's jets now have the new heat exchange vents between the tails.

Enjoy..

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

Edited by VF-103guy