F-18E/F and EA-18G

Correct. The ARS is for centerline only. NATOPS prohibits its carriage in flight on any station other than center. However, the maintainers will hang it on the wing like shown in Brian's picture to do maintenance on it or paint it. I this case it is the former not the latter.

It looks like those dropped flaps would get in the way. Don't those go up when it's on the ground? :salute:

It looks like those dropped flaps would get in the way. Don't those go up when it's on the ground? :woot.gif:

Just what the H. E. Double Hockey Sticks are you trying to start here man ? :huh:

Gregg

I DO still wish big navy would mind it's own business. The vast majority of "bad ideas" have come from people with stars or eagles on their shoulders.... so they should pretty much just stop thinking.
Karl,

It was the same way in police work too. Guys far removed from the street were passing rules and regs that just made it harder for us to do what we do. Sometimes it was hard to tell who the bad guys really were.

This should come as a surprise to no one. This is a time honored tradition, isn't it? Guys who are not the ones in the mix making all the decisions on gear used by the guys in the mix? When I was still in law enforcement, it was frustrating but after a while, VERY expected.

Our vehicle chase policy got "refined" so that ultimately, you might as well just not do it unless the guy being chased was a confirmed serial killer with dead runaways in the car. It was ridiculous, watching what had been a cliche in cop movies becoming nauseating reality- they were so worried about being sued, it was difficult to actually enforce the law without some extra hesitation and thought... :woot.gif:

I like the low-vis look of the J.R. But the black tails, those are just plain cool.

jb

Just what the H. E. Double Hockey Sticks are you trying to start here man ? :doh:

Gregg

I know, but no matter how much the angel on my sholder said "Don't do it!" The devil on the other side said "Do it. Do it now!" much louder.

Hmm, was curious about the serial of the VFA-2 bird, as I thought it could have preformed at Riat '04. Wasn't the case since that had NE-101 codes (165917) according to my files, but the serial is one digit above this one so guess they still use their original boss for four years now, or am I wrong with this?

Greetings

Hmm, was curious about the serial of the VFA-2 bird, as I thought it could have preformed at Riat '04. Wasn't the case since that had NE-101 codes (165917) according to my files, but the serial is one digit above this one so guess they still use their original boss for four years now, or am I wrong with this?

No, you´re correct. It has been wearing NE-100 since early 2003, when the first VFA-2 Super Bugs were spotted.

cool, so the one that was at fairford (NE-101) was an operational one, compared to the VFA-122 one, which even didn't have a modex number...

nice to know :explode:

Thanks for the info

cool, so the one that was at fairford (NE-101) was an operational one, compared to the VFA-122 one, which even didn't have a modex number...

nice to know :explode:

Thanks for the info

Yes, but in both cases they were flown by Ricardo Traven, the Boeing Super Bug testpilot. I guess that in the case of the VFA-122 example, the jet had not made it to Lemoore yet, but went straight to England from the factory. After visiting the UK, they (the one at Fairford and the one from Farnborough) went to Graf Ignatievo in Bulgaria on a little promotional tour.

With those two jets, I'd say the painting restrictions are beginning to ease up. Full tails painted, and both schemes have the airwing codes in non-standard places. Let's hope the restrictions continue to be lifted.....or at least ignored! :thumbsup:

With those two jets, I'd say the painting restrictions are beginning to ease up. Full tails painted, and both schemes have the airwing codes in non-standard places. Let's hope the restrictions continue to be lifted.....or at least ignored! :thumbsup:

CAG Jets so rules need not apply. The line jets' schemes are still heavily regulated

Why are these jets flying with their tailhooks down?

Pretty standard on the way into the break and very typical for photo shoots. In the break I've heard two reasons, One, it shows an intent to land. Two, one less thing to worry about possibly forgetting on the down wind. On photo shoots its always a badge of honor, pride in being Naval Aviators. After all, its the Tailhook Association, not the Naval Aviator's Association.

Pretty standard on the way into the break and very typical for photo shoots. In the break I've heard two reasons, One, it shows an intent to land. Two, one less thing to worry about possibly forgetting on the down wind. On photo shoots its always a badge of honor, pride in being Naval Aviators. After all, its the Tailhook Association, not the Naval Aviator's Association.

Intent to land is the big one. If I'm following someone that's hook-up (i.e. doing a touch-and-go for whatever reason (usually someone who is out of currency)) I'll work a lot less interval on them since I don't need to give them time to clear the arresting gear and get out of the way.

Spongebob

Raptor22,

I LOVE the pics of the super bugs... I am lost for words other than ... you lucky bugger for getting these pics.

:thumbsup::salute::cheers: :blink:

Just check the navy.mil website and you can be a lucky bugger too... :coolio:

CAG Jets so rules need not apply. The line jets' schemes are still heavily regulated

Wasn't there a time when even the CAG jets were regulated? I thought I remember a time when VFA-2's color tail markings were downsized and put in front of the slime light. It's funny, though. It almost seems like since they can't do anything with the line jets, they go crazy with the one airplane they can do something to. They should have a contest to see who has the gaudiest CAG jet in addition to the MUTHA award. ;)

Wasn't there a time when even the CAG jets were regulated? I thought I remember a time when VFA-2's color tail markings were downsized and put in front of the slime light. It's funny, though. It almost seems like since they can't do anything with the line jets, they go crazy with the one airplane they can do something to. They should have a contest to see who has the gaudiest CAG jet in addition to the MUTHA award. :thumbsup:

There are...just varying levels of enforcement by the Commodores. I think you'll start to see them toned down again once the Rhino's start cycling through depot maintenance.

Spongebob

They should have a contest to see who has the gaudiest CAG jet in addition to the MUTHA award. :worship:

IMHO my vote goes to the flying butt cheecks in the tail only category.

The former MUTHA recipients...

VFA-103June08023.jpg

103 recently lost MUTHA to VFA-143 in an epic kidnapping of Ens Jack Ernie.

Long story short:

143 stole Jack.

The entire plot was to get MUTHA in trade.

103 wanted Jack back.

The deal went down in Keagans parking lot at 2100 last Thursday.

Jack Ernie was returned to 103 unscathed.

VFA-143 now holds MUTHA.