F-18E/F and EA-18G

Like the Growler Cag plane but that digital Hornet is awesome! I think it is also a very effective camo scheme. :crying2:

Thanks for update on the -138 schemes,I think I've read there are only 4-5 aircraft now per VAQ unit instead of 7,right?

So this unit would be the first within the >new< EA-18G JEF community too?

Why start at 510-15 instead of 500's?

Is 500 reserved for Fleet units?

Nice CAG scheme....but thought a bit much on the unit repeat on the inside tails,the squadron name on same is O.K,interesting block style of the command and BuNo haven't seen that unless designs over lap!!

I've still have and hope to build the 1/72 Micro/Superscale -138 original CAG EA-6B for first 1977 cruise(stood up 2/76) in the glossy Lt Gull Gray 16440/ Insignia White 17875.

500/AC USS Saratoga with(my fave scheme for this unit)a Maroon rudder with large YellowJacket on it,white shadowed/stepped down 'AC'.

The use of the current Black with Yellow for them still works(like the hook colors too!)

Is that a VFA-122 Foxtrot bird in all those digi squares...help Vanna!!!?

Terry

The 51x and up series are reserved right now for the expeditionary units and for the RAG. So that is why they are using those MODEX's.

It has always been 4-5 Jets per VAQ squadron. THe obvious exception was VAQ-129 which at one time back in the 1980's they were pushing 30 jets of three different blocks on thier flight line.

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking photos John. :jaw-dropping:

I don't know how you managed it but you made the first and last shots of the three look like PSed models...... :woo:

Love those Hi-Vis schemes.

5130488009_77d784cd04_z.jpg
What is the aircraft in the bottom right hand corner of the above pic? Sort of looks like a Tomcat on my low res. monitor........ :huh:

Cheers.

:wub:

At least the CAG seems to have gotten some Tuck's ... :lol:

Gregg

I prefer to think it rather looks like an artistic letter "B".........Pukin Dogs, flying buttcheeks... :D give'em a break will ya..

Edited by Angels49

A short vid from the deck of the USS George Washington's Training with S. Korea ...

>>> Clicky <<<

Note that all the Rhinos seem to have two AIM-9Xs loaded up on the wingtips ... interesting ... (Tanker excluded)

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost
A short vid from the deck of the USS George Washington's Training with S. Korea ...

>>> Clicky <<<

Note that all the Rhinos seem to have two AIM-9Xs loaded up on the wingtips ... interesting ... (Tanker excluded)

Gregg

Actually I think that is an optical illusion created from the haze of the sun and the camera angle. All the wingtips are capable of carrying is either 1 AIM-9X or 1 AIM-9M.

Actually I think that is an optical illusion created from the haze of the sun and the camera angle. All the wingtips are capable of carrying is either 1 AIM-9X or 1 AIM-9M.

Yeah, I guess I worded that wrong, I mean, they have two total, one per station ... My apologies ...

Most of the time with ops in the recent past, they have only had one AIM-9 loaded ...

I can't make out if there are any Slammers loaded on the cheek stations though ...

I think it might be due to the heated environment over there right now ...

Gregg

I can't make out if there are any Slammers loaded on the cheek stations though ...

They have - see the VFA-102 CO's bird near the end of the video - you can see that all it carries is 2xAIM-9X aswell as Slammers

They have - see the VFA-102 CO's bird near the end of the video - you can see that all it carries is 2xAIM-9X aswell as Slammers

Oh yeah ... I just watched it full screen again this time ... :thumbsup:

Looks like the Echo at the very end taxing towards the stern also has them loaded as well ...

Gregg

Yeah, I guess I worded that wrong, I mean, they have two total, one per station ... My apologies ...

Most of the time with ops in the recent past, they have only had one AIM-9 loaded ...

I think it might be due to the heated environment over there right now ...

Gregg

I'm certainly not an expert (although I read the posts here religiously) so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one AIM-9 on one wing tip rail (in other words, one total per aircraft) is only standard operating procedure for F/A-18s working over Afghanistan and Iraq where the air-to-air threat is almost literally zero. I don't think you can say the same thing about the potential air-to-air threat around the Korean penninsula. I think they are just trying to be cautious without looking like they are looking for trouble.

I'm certainly not an expert (although I read the posts here religiously) so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one AIM-9 on one wing tip rail (in other words, one total per aircraft) is only standard operating procedure for F/A-18s working over Afghanistan and Iraq where the air-to-air threat is almost literally zero. I don't think you can say the same thing about the potential air-to-air threat around the Korean penninsula. I think they are just trying to be cautious without looking like they are looking for trouble.

I think that's what GreyGhost was getting at by making his comment in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...