F-18E/F and EA-18G

Finding any info about or pics of VAQ-139 since Growler transition has been impossible for me thus far. I really look forward to finally seeing pics of their new jets and paint scheme.

Jeff

I spoke to a VAQ-139 pilot last month at the Duluth, MN air show. He said that since they are still transitioning to the EA-18, they don't have any jets of their own. They are only flying jets from VAQ-129, which only have markings from that squadron. It's the same story with VAQ-136. They are flying -129 jets also. To see some of the -136 training photos, check out the "VAQ-136 Gauntlets Official" page on Facebook.

I spoke to a VAQ-139 pilot last month at the Duluth, MN air show. He said that since they are still transitioning to the EA-18, they don't have any jets of their own.[...]

I believe at some point of the transition they may receive jets with their insignia painted on straight from Boeing, but anyhow, until they get the IOC status, the jets would be still formally assigned to VAQ-129. Otherwise, they could finally get some of VAQ-129 jets and repaint them with VAQ-139 tailcode/modex and insignia.

For my fellow CVW-watchers out there, The Hook magazine is reporting these upcoming changes in 2013:

VFA-25: Transfer to CVW-2 in June

VAQ-139: Assignment to CVW-17

VFA-151: Transition to F/A-18E; no clear indication of CVW assignment after transition

VFA-34 is still listed as a member of CVW-2, but other sources indicate they will be leaving the air wing.

CVW-14 shows no squadrons assigned at all, which underscores the Navy's desire to reduce to 9 CVWs. Being assigned to that CAG staff must be a really interesting job... :tumble:

Hope this is helpful to someone out there!

Jeff

For my fellow CVW-watchers out there, The Hook magazine is reporting these upcoming changes in 2013:

VFA-25: Transfer to CVW-2 in June

VAQ-139: Assignment to CVW-17

VFA-151: Transition to F/A-18E; no clear indication of CVW assignment after transition

VFA-34 is still listed as a member of CVW-2, but other sources indicate they will be leaving the air wing.

CVW-14 shows no squadrons assigned at all, which underscores the Navy's desire to reduce to 9 CVWs. Being assigned to that CAG staff must be a really interesting job... :tumble:

Hope this is helpful to someone out there!

Jeff

Thats really interesting! Thank you for the info. If it pans out CVW-2 will have all Supers. VFA-2 (F), VFA-137(E), VFA-86(E) and VFA-25(E).

Thanks, Jeff, for sharing the info from "the Hook" (not very easy to take a look at it here in Europe) :thumbsup:

"Air International" (November 2012 issue) says VFA-151 started their transition to Echo in October 2012 (i.e. FY2013, that makes sense).

VMFA(AW)-121, sadly lost to F/A-18 community, is redesignated to VMFA-121 and sent to MCAS Yuma, with their first ugly F-35B expected to arrive this month.

Also they mention helicopter squadrons swap between CVW-2 and CVW-5: HSM-77 (MH-60R) and HSC-12 (MH-60S) going to Japan in February 2013(?), HS-14 floating back to CONUS, HSL-51 converting to HSM with no homebase change.

If CVW-2 goes all-Super and all-new-helos, putting EA-18G-equipped VAQ-136 there would make the icing on the cake :rolleyes:

Edited by Jacek Z.