F-18E/F and EA-18G

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone else a bit bummed out that the VAQ-209 StarWarriors CO bird isn't very showy? It's very plain jane to me...VAQ-209 CO Bird (Great picture btw...Woody's Aeroimages). I was hoping for a show stopping Darth Vader...

Chris

I'm wondering if a certain company's lawyers put an end to that. It wouldn't surprise me. The mouse can be vicious when it comes to legalities and such.

I'm wondering if a certain company's lawyers put an end to that. It wouldn't surprise me. The mouse can be vicious when it comes to legalities and such.

They have to be when so many of their copyrights are misappropriated and misused...

-Gregg

I'd guess it is more a workload issue and time associated with painting a complex scheme.

Navy squadrons have been using copywrited images for years. Felix, Bill the Cat, Kenny from South Park, vader, etc for years. I'm not sure if they get special permission, have a special use clause in the law or just rely on being the military to use them. I'd hope whatever it was hasn't changed. If indeed it was Disney saying "no" I hope the squadron makes a big stink to the press.

The Navy/VFA-31 have a 99yr that can be renewed in perpetuity license agreement on Felix the Cat. Any use such as model decals or representing the squadron is covered by that.

Don't know about the Mouse House saying anything about Darth Vader on 209 but I'm guessing it had more to so with the squadron and leadership choosing markings than the big D's involvement.

Anyone else a bit bummed out that the VAQ-209 StarWarriors CO bird isn't very showy? It's very plain jane to me...VAQ-209 CO Bird (Great picture btw...Woody's Aeroimages). I was hoping for a show stopping Darth Vader...

According to the bro's that were there, the whole reason for the move to Whidbey was so the jets were available for the fleet/FRS to grab when needed. Putting a lot of effort into a SH paint job not only isn't worth it if the wing is going to take your jet away when someone breaks one but creates a lot of work for the guys getting it - who by the fact they are getting a jet handed to them means they are probably behind already.

There's a whole bunch of former -209 crew that's kicking around Reserve units in the DC/Pax/Norfolk area now. The commute isn't worth the $$.

HTH

Spongebob

I'd guess it is more a workload issue and time associated with painting a complex scheme.

Navy squadrons have been using copywrited images for years. Felix, Bill the Cat, Kenny from South Park, vader, etc for years. I'm not sure if they get special permission, have a special use clause in the law or just rely on being the military to use them. I'd hope whatever it was hasn't changed. If indeed it was Disney saying "no" I hope the squadron makes a big stink to the press.

I would die to see Bill the Cat on the tail of a Super Hornet!

• 2 weeks later...