F-18E/F and EA-18G

Here is a link to a photo of VAQ-132's newest CAG. She would appear to have been toned down since the first photo I saw. (You can also 138's toned down CAG in the backround)

GROWLER ROW

Here is a XPlane repaint I made from the original photo I saw with entire squadron posed in front of it:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=16186

Edited by Moffettflyer

Here is a link to a photo of VAQ-132's newest CAG. She would appear to have been toned down since the first photo I saw. (You can also 138's toned down CAG in the backround)

GROWLER ROW

Here is a XPlane repaint I made from the original photo I saw with entire squadron posed in front of it:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=16186

tahts incroyable nobody have more pics of this aircraft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to know whats the difference between Super Hornets equipped with type of vents circled in red and those that have flat type vents.

F-18-vents.jpg

Is it a different block like F-16s or is it a standard modification for all operational F-18s?

Edited by stalal

That would make the most sense. One for one swap. And CVW-8 already has the supply chain set up for a Growler Squadron....... This is my first post on here. There is a great amount of information on here and I have learned alot. But I have a lot of questions about Hornet Squadrons and Airwings. So hopefully you wil all bear with me. First has anyone seen VFA-86's new F/A-18E CAG ? They've stood up months ago and I can't find a single photo of their CAG to save my life! Second : Does anyone know why VAQ-135 and VAQ-138 had to repaint their CAG's into more subdued schemes ? Does it have anything to with their being Expeditionary Squadrons ? (Of course VAQ-132's new CAG would dispell that posibility) Maybe they can not deploy with full color CAGS ? Finally : When the Abraham Lincoln pulls into Norfolk for her SLEP, CVW-2 is without a flattop. And CVW-14 is without Squadrons. What are the chances that VFA-2, VFA-151, VFA-137, VFA-34, etc. all transfer to CVW-14? VAQ-139 (CVW-14) is almost done with their transfer to the Growler. then VAQ-131 (CVW-2) can begin their transfer into the Growler. It would be cool to the Bounty Hunters with NK tail codes again, juts in time to celebrate thier 40th anniversary.

Phew. That was alot! Thank you,

Rob

There's a lot going on with West Coast CVWs right now. Congress ordered the Navy to keep CVW-14 active for now, and the Navy just announced that CVW-17 will relocate to Lemoore by Oct. 1. CVW-17 is supposed to stay with Carl Vinson until FY17. So CVW-2 may go to Ronald Reagan, or they could shift their VFAs to CVW-14 and sit "dormant" for a while, just as we've seen with CVWs -17, -9, and -11 over the past few years.

I'm curious to see what tail code CVW-17 will use after moving to Lemoore, as I would not expect them to keep the 'AA'. A reuse of 'NM' or 'NP' from past West Coast airwings, maybe?

Jeff

I've long suspected that CVW-17 would be transfered to the Pacific. I know that several squadrons from Oceana are slated to eventually move to Lemoore. I imagine VFA-81 would be the logical conclusion ? But what of VAW-125 and the helicopter squadrons at Norfolk ? Are they comming west also?

I would hope at least the helo squadrons would. As bad as it was to have to go across the country to meet your boat (both my sea tours were in east coast VAQ squadrons), at least we only had one day of flying; worst case 3 legs if we didn't get a tanker. It's a downright odyssey for the helicopter guys.

HS-15 (now HSC-15) had already relocated to North Island, so they've been spared the cross-country trek! I too would expect VFA-81 and VAW-125 to relocate, but I haven't heard anything definite on those.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious to see what tail code CVW-17 will use after moving to Lemoore, as I would not expect them to keep the 'AA'. A reuse of 'NM' or 'NP' from past West Coast airwings, maybe?

In my opinion 'NM' tail code could be sweet:) 'Cause as we now 'NL' has been already reused by expeditionary Prowler/Growler squadrons from Whidbey (but not by UDP F/A-18 squadrons from Lemoore)... Funny that CVW-17, which has been rather a fragmentary air wing recent years, almost "killed" CVW-14, which through that time was rather complete and fully deployable.

Found this on NAS Lemoore's Golden Eagle News Paper :

July 13, 2012

VFA-25 returns home, receives Lt. j.g. Bruce Carrier Award

Lt. Dan Owens,

VFA-25 PAO

The Fist of the Fleet is finally back home to Lemoore after a successful combat deployment in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. The fly-in on May 22, followed by the Carl Vinson return to homeport, marked the culmination of two back-to-back combat deployments. After the break of post deployment leave, the memories of ship food, ladder wells, and knee-knockers have faded to the familiar sights, sounds, and smells of being home in Lemoore.

For the last week of transit from Hawaii back to San Diego, Fist Sailors were able to bring family members onboard the USS Carl Vinson for Tiger Cruise. Tigers were treated to an air show that is only possible on an aircraft carrier at sea. They saw supersonic passes, a simulated dogfight around the ship, and live bomb drops. Additionally, the Tigers were able to see the daily routine of a warship at sea. After Tiger Cruise and the return to homeport, VFA-25 was able to enjoy their well-earned post-deployment leave.

Upon the Fist’s return from leave, the Commanding Officer of Strike Fighter Wing Pacific, Captain Mark Black, visited VFA-25 in the Fist Hangar to recognize the squadron for its excellence in several areas. First, he noted that VFA-25 and the rest of CVW-17 had completed the rare feat of deploying, returning, and leaving for a second deployment within a 12-month period. He commended VFA-25 on rising to the challenge and excelling in their mission of supporting troops on the ground with the professionalism and pride that has become known as FIST standard. The Commodore then presented VFA-25 with the LTJG Bruce Carrier Award, which is an award given for excellence in aviation maintenance.

Carrier was killed in 1975 when his A-4F Skyhawk suffered a series of preventable mechanical failures while deployed in the South China Sea. After this incident, the Navy renewed its focus on safe maintenance practices, and every year one squadron is recognized for their excellence in Aviation Maintenance. Setting the standard is nothing new for FIST maintenance. While on deployment, they received the coveted CVW-17 Golden Wrench. VFA-25 maintenance continues to excel as they ready their F/A-18Cs for transfer in preparation for their transition to the F/A-18E in July.

The Maintenance Department is not the only part of VFA-25 that has excelled. The latest advancement cycle showed that FIST Sailors across the board have been working hard studying and training in order to make themselves professionals in their individual fields. The Fist of the Fleet set the standard with one new Master Chief, two new Senior Chiefs, and 52 petty officers who advanced to the next rank. VFA-25 greatly exceeded navy-wide averages in every category. In the E6 category, 41 percent of Sailors advanced, more than doubling the navy-wide average of 17 percent.

Now that VFA-25 is back, the focus has shifted from the fast-paced lifestyle of boat life to reuniting with family and preparing jets, Sailors, and aircrew for the upcoming transition to the F/A-18E Super Hornet. As VFA-25 transfers their last few F/A-18C Hornets, Fist Sailors prepare to earn their Super Hornet quals and pilots return to the VFA-122 for the FRS transition syllabus. After 29 years of flying the legacy Hornet, VFA-25 couldn’t be in a better position to transfer to a new airframe and continue their reputation for excellence.